English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 August 2019, 17:11   #181
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I think that common knowledge is that OutRun is worst conversion ever...

Now, when I see Castlevania for X68000 and compare that with miggy... oh boy...

BTW, reading about Wonderboy - according to wiki, Sega used SMS version to port it to Wii. SMS version should be closest to Arcade and IMHO amiga should be able to play it very well.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:14   #182
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Well Sega Master system Emulator is excellent on Amiga but requites AGA 030.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:17   #183
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I think that common knowledge is that OutRun is worst conversion ever...

Now, when I see Castlevania for X68000 and compare that with miggy... oh boy...

BTW, reading about Wonderboy - according to wiki, Sega used SMS version to port it to Wii. SMS version should be closest to Arcade and IMHO amiga should be able to play it very well.
No, SMS can only show 32 colors on screen, without 2x256 palettes won't be good enough.

In a more serious note, the X68000 version of Castlevania is a completely different game. Level 1 is similar, but everything past that is a new game.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:26   #184
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
No, SMS can only show 32 colors on screen, without 2x256 palettes won't be good enough.
Here is wiki info on Wonderboy:

Quote:
The version of Wonder Boy for the Master System and Game Gear was a direct port of the arcade title, with some minor reductions to accommodate the more limited hardware. In Japan, the Sega Mark III version was entitled Super Wonder Boy to differentiate it from the previous port, although the overseas releases dropped the word "Super" from the title. The Game Gear port in the United States was entitled Revenge of Drancon.

The graphics were lifted straight from the arcade version, but the HUD was restricted to a simple vitality bar – the score and number of lives were displayed prior to starting the level. The sound was modified slightly to adapt it to the more limited audio hardware. The graphics were brighter. The controls were modified slightly to make it possible to only perform a high jump when the run button was pressed, whereas it was possible in the arcade version to perform one simply by being in motion when the jump button was pressed.

However, the most important aspect that differentiated it from its arcade counterpart was the addition of "areas". Wonder Boy for the Master System and Game Gear had nine areas; this included all seven areas from the arcade original + two new areas created specifically for this version. The new areas featured unique level designs different than the rest of the game. These two areas were dubbed as the fourth area and eighth area in the game. This resulted in a modification on the numbering for the areas lifted from the arcade original (for example, what was the fourth area on the arcade version became the fifth area on the SMS/GG version).

As with the arcade version, collecting all dolls in the game would reveal an extra "area" which, in this case, would be the tenth area.
Link for wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_(video_game)

Here is Moby info on that version of game. Does look bit different than original, but for a good reason - limited hardware.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-...tem/wonder-boy

IMHO, Amiga version will be closer to this than original Arcade version, unless of course is A1200 and up. (here we go again )
Old 29 August 2019, 17:28   #185
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
[...] Rolling Thunder is the worst Arcade-to-Amiga port ever IMO. [...]
Sorry but the worst (even if non official) is this one :

copy:

( look at this baby with full diapers - it looks like there is even a bottle of milk on the right )

VS original:

Even "Out Run" is a fantastic Amiga port in comparison .
Old 29 August 2019, 17:31   #186
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nah. While Thunder Boy is a shameless Wonder Boy clone it's not as bad as Rolling Thunder or Shinobi. Not even close.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:39   #187
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Like I said before, the real big problem in porting Wonderboy IMO is exactly the huge amount of levels. Recreating each level would be a long and boring task.

I had forgotten about those extra levels on the SMS version. Made a long game even more unecessarily long. The SMS version longplay video clocks at 90 minutes, damn it.

You could also always go for an Adventure Island port:

[ Show youtube player ]

That would be very easy to do on an A500 and it's still Wonderboy... to an extent.

-

Or aim for the MSX version

[ Show youtube player ]

Just 8 levels, very quick to do

(The MSX version is actually called Adventure Island in Japanese, was only released in Japan... but everyone this side of the world knows it as a "Wonder Boy" probably because no one could read japanese anyway Dunno why Hudson cut more than half of the game though. )
Old 29 August 2019, 17:45   #188
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ugly graphics on the NES. I like the exklusive PC-Engine version. But nothing for OCS Amigas i guess.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 August 2019, 17:45   #189
mcgeezer

Rolling Thunder is the worst one by a country mile....Shinobi probably jogging on after it.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:56   #190
ZEUSDAZ

Nope Street Fighter 1 was a prime example of a port that could have been sooooooooo much better, those software houses should have been sued and forced to redo those crappy ports by the courts, beyond me how they got away with these dreadful conversions.

So that settles it for me, I either wand a better (not arcade perfect) version of Street Fighter 1 on the Amiga or / and an Amiga version of Ranarama,...dy'a hear that McGeezer?! ;-D
Old 29 August 2019, 18:31   #191
d4rk3lf

Well, imho, SF1 was pretty shitty game, so why converting bad port of a shitty game, when you can redo bad port of a good game?
Old 29 August 2019, 20:15   #192
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Well, imho, SF1 was pretty shitty game, so why converting bad port of a shitty game, when you can redo bad port of a good game?

But imo it was a great game and no'one will convince me otherwise, we all have our hates and loves of certain games, I loved SF1 to the point I own the arcade pcb's, it was fast with huge characters and every round felt like sudden death, it was intense unlike the slower SF2 World Warrior which left me flat in the excitement catergory, it was only really shitty to those who look back at it and compare it to later games or was crap at it back in the day, so for me I would like to see a better attempt at converting this game on the Amiga, it was a big deal back in the day, had to wait ages in line in our local to play it on a busy Saturday afternoon, loved the tunes too.

Failing that Ranarama please.

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 29 August 2019 at 20:21.
Old 29 August 2019, 20:18   #193
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Well Sega Master system Emulator is excellent on Amiga but requites AGA 030.
SMS is very underrated, better than a NES and much better gaming machine than an Atari ST. Easily the best 8 bit console. Except if you consider pc engine 8 bit. SMS has excellent ports of wonderboy, bubble bobble, R-Type, Darius, Ghouls n ghosts, New Zealand story, operation wolf... Too much love from Taito .
Old 29 August 2019, 20:59   #194
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
But imo it was a great game and no'one will convince me otherwise, we all have our hates and loves of certain games, I loved SF1 to the point I own the arcade pcb's, it was fast with huge characters and every round felt like sudden death, it was intense unlike the slower SF2
Oh... ok.. ok...
Didn't know that you like that game so much, otherwise, I would choose my words better.
I respect that, and I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

I myself, never really liked even SS2 (arcade), and didn't understand what is all hype about... but when I saw Mortal Kombat... that was another story.
Old 29 August 2019, 21:00   #195
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
SMS is very underrated, better than a NES and much better gaming machine than an Atari ST. Easily the best 8 bit console. Except if you consider pc engine 8 bit. SMS has excellent ports of wonderboy, bubble bobble, R-Type, Darius, Ghouls n ghosts, New Zealand story, operation wolf... Too much love from Taito .
If you don't consider the PC-Engine, yes, it's the most powerful 8bits gaming machine I believe.

And while I think it's a great machine with many greats titles, I don't think its library can rival other 8 bits machines. Taito supported it, and then later lots of Euro teams supported it, but for a long time Sega had to carry it alone, so the number of games released for it isn't that high, and many times Sega was just trying to copy sucessful games from other platforms with diferent degrees of success.

But yes, it's a very cool machine, very powerful for a 8 bits machine and it has a very good amount of good games. I'd like to also add the Disney licenses... Castle of Illusion and The Lucky Dime Caper are 2 gems (the first one IMO it's a better game than its 16 bits counterpart)

I have a problem with Sagaia on the Master System because later levels has a ridiculous amount of flicker and dying from being hit by invisible shit is not fun at all. But besides R-Type you also have both Power Strike games which are freaking brilliant. (Even though Power Strike is actually missing a level and some other things from the original MSX Aleste)
Old 29 August 2019, 21:32   #196
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:

I myself, never really liked even SF2 (arcade), and didn't understand what is all hype about... but when I saw Mortal Kombat... that was another story.

Agreed!
Old 29 August 2019, 23:04   #197
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I myself, never really liked even SS2 (arcade), and didn't understand what is all hype about... but when I saw Mortal Kombat... that was another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Agreed!
Obviously each to their own and all that... but SSF2 was absolutely ground breaking and is what really started that genre.

How someone can't "understand what is all the hype" is a mystery; unless of course you won't there at the time, or if you never played it enough in the Arcades.

Myself, spent many a quarter in arcades bashing away at this... once you become really good the fights you had with other experienced players was epic.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:19   #198
vulture

Yup, SF2 is pretty much GOAT. I respect Zeus' different opinion obviously, but never managed to enjoy SF1.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:29   #199
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
but never managed to enjoy SF1.
SF1 was ok, and I did play it quite a bit on release; but it wasn't fluid / didn't flow very well IMHO.

Trying to execute a fireball or cyclone kick was very difficult indeed; and that's when using an arcade joystick.
Old 30 August 2019, 01:31   #200
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

BitD, when SF1 was released in arcade halls, almost everybody was crowded around the game. It had a lot of success around here.
In a way it suited me because it left the shoot'em up games and baby-foot* free .

*('foosball' in UK ?)