English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 March 2019, 22:47   #1
MrDBUG

WinUAE running under Wine on Linux

I use WinUAE 4.1.0 a bit under Wine (latest Wine I believe) - and there is extreme CPU usage and after a while - heat - fans running heavily - this on a dualcore i3 with 4 threads. Any chance to optimize WinUAE for WINE ?
Old 15 March 2019, 09:13   #2
bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDBUG View Post
I use WinUAE 4.1.0 a bit under Wine (latest Wine I believe) - and there is extreme CPU usage and after a while - heat - fans running heavily - this on a dualcore i3 with 4 threads. Any chance to optimize WinUAE for WINE ?
I use WinUAE on Crossover Mac (the commercial version of Wine). It runs without issue.

I'm not sure what Toni could do to optimise it for Wine? As far as I'm aware it already works as well as it can, if there is a specific area which isn't working well, then we need to submit a feedback report to the Wine guys.
Old 15 March 2019, 09:23   #3
ptyerman

I run WinUAE under Wine in Linux Lite and Manjaro at the moment and don't experience any of what you are.
This is on a Core i7 quad core and a AMD FX 4100 quad core with 18Gb and 8Gb of RAM respectively.
A dualcore i3 may be getting pushed to the max running it, that's why it's getting hot!
You could try optimizing your Linux install and getting rid of any cruft running in the background. Maybe even play with the scheduler config a little and see if it helps.
Old 15 March 2019, 11:09   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not enough information. Check the log (run with -log command parameter), check for any wine specific messages. Try basic A500 mode first, if it works fine, it is confirmed it is config specific difference, not some global issue. And so on.
Old 15 March 2019, 11:27   #5
Nova

for some time now, i also experience that the fans quickly run wild, even though no actual load is provoked - but i moved to a 64bit prefix and thus blamed it for being the cause to it.

make sure you are using latest wine version for your distribution.

try with a clean 32bit wineprefix (backup / move your old prefix to another location first).

maybe it is helpful - good luck. or just use native fs-uae, which sadly seems to be defunct now

p.s. using either the 32/64bit winuae version under a 64bit prefix makes no difference.
Old 15 March 2019, 14:56   #6
mark_k

I've been seeing performance problems recently too, no idea if the cause is the same.

Not sure whether a change in WinUAE or Wine was the root cause. Booting to WB, display is updated at ~6fps with CPU showing at ~650%. I changed buffering from triple to double and that seemed to fix it, but testing again today (with double buffering) the problem is still there. ???
Old 15 March 2019, 20:10   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Old 15 March 2019, 23:38   #8
ptyerman

Makes you wonder if these recent Linux kernel mitigations for Meltdown, Spectre and the rest could be the culprit, or at least in part. They are known to cause performance issues with some software, it may be worth turning off the patches at boot or using a clean kernel to compare. I may try booting without them over the weekend and try noting any differences, although I'm not getting any noticeable slowdowns anyway so not sure what good it would do on my setup.
Old 16 March 2019, 03:19   #9
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
I've been seeing performance problems recently too, no idea if the cause is the same.

Not sure whether a change in WinUAE or Wine was the root cause. Booting to WB, display is updated at ~6fps with CPU showing at ~650%. I changed buffering from triple to double and that seemed to fix it, but testing again today (with double buffering) the problem is still there. ???
Try the last know good combination of WinUAE/wine and see if there's still an issue?
Old 16 March 2019, 10:31   #10
Nova

@toni wilen:

offtopic: with fs-uae seemingly abandoned, i am curious to know about the chances for a native linux frontend? have there ever been plans for a gtk or qt port of winuae?
Old 16 March 2019, 17:12   #11
mark_k

JOTD posted this thread, it looks like he's seeing similar problems to me (but presumably under Windows, not Wine).

I booted my usual WinUAE config today and it's not laggy at all now!
Old 16 March 2019, 17:16   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Can you break to debugger in wine easily? There is good chance that almost all will break in routine that caused the wait, hopefully some Windows API routine.
Old 20 March 2019, 14:18   #13
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I am running WinUAE without no major problems through Wine, but I noticed that the emulator crashes whenever I modify the sound buffer.
Old 21 March 2019, 22:05   #14
HAolL

Hello Mr DBUG

Glad to hear you're using Wine on Linux...

Question although this is an Amiga forum...

What version of wine have you got installed?
Have installed up to the very latest release for UB18?

It makes a difference,,,

-------------------------------------
non amiga stuff

If you have any tips on how to install wine on UB 14
let me know.. I've never been able to do it. It works
till you reset then you get an error screen next reboot..
Same also with ELementary OS loki... bugs also.
works great on juno...though
--------------------------------------
Your idea of using winuae under wine is excellent..
Hope Toni churns out something...written for linux,,,

Regards