English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 August 2019, 13:01   #1
Gzegzolka

Two not working cover disks

Hi,
I have a problem with two cover disks I download from EAB ftp and from RACK.

one74_1994_11_d1.adz
http://amr.rumpigs.net/the_one_cover...1994_11_d1.adz

ap44_1994_12_d44a.adz

or Amiga Power #44 (1994)(Future Publishing)(GB)(Disk 1 of 2)[Dec 1994].adf
http://amr.rumpigs.net/amiga_power_c...94_12_d44a.adz

they got Aladdin demo I would like to check

When I boot them on winuae I see this:

I try different configurations (like quick start a500, a 600, a1200) and different winuae versions.
Old 01 August 2019, 14:35   #2
Hewitson

Both confirmed as non-working on FS-UAE 3.0.0.
Old 01 August 2019, 15:14   #3
chip

Tried with WinUAE, no way to make them work
Old 01 August 2019, 15:41   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Aladdin uses a protected disk format the same as the original.

Quite easy to remove to remove in loader check
Old 01 August 2019, 21:52   #5
Nobby_UK

I posted the same Query back in Feb 2014
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72478
Old 01 August 2019, 23:50   #6
scuzz

The game is only suitable on the Amiga 1200. I have to disable the CPU caches to make it work and it wont work on my 4000. Just the most wonderful red disk. There is this great bit where Aladdin jumps up and down on a camel that spits at a villian knocking him over. I have the cover disks and the actual game... magic.

OK update:

I took the file linked in your post and transferred it to an Amiga 4000/040. I decrunched into RAM the ADF file that it became and then used Blitzer to create a disk. Then tried on three Amiga 1200s and it wouldn't work. You start with a purple screen which halts the process and then if I use a soft boot but disable caches I get the same image that you see.

I then took my Aladdin disk from The One and I used ADFBlitzer to crunch the disk. I then reversed the process onto a blank Amiga disk. I then tried on three Amiga 1200s but got exactly the same result.

Consequence is that the file is simply an ADF of the original disk which is copyright protected. It is not a cracked version of the disk but simply a copy. So I don't think much can be done unless you know how to crack disks.

By the way if you ADF the actual original game disks the exact same thing happens. Sorry.

scuzz

Last edited by scuzz; 02 August 2019 at 03:40.
Old 02 August 2019, 12:24   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
The game is only suitable on the Amiga 1200. I have to disable the CPU caches to make it work and it wont work on my 4000. Just the most wonderful red disk. There is this great bit where Aladdin jumps up and down on a camel that spits at a villian knocking him over. I have the cover disks and the actual game... magic.

OK update:

I took the file linked in your post and transferred it to an Amiga 4000/040. I decrunched into RAM the ADF file that it became and then used Blitzer to create a disk. Then tried on three Amiga 1200s and it wouldn't work. You start with a purple screen which halts the process and then if I use a soft boot but disable caches I get the same image that you see.

I then took my Aladdin disk from The One and I used ADFBlitzer to crunch the disk. I then reversed the process onto a blank Amiga disk. I then tried on three Amiga 1200s but got exactly the same result.

Consequence is that the file is simply an ADF of the original disk which is copyright protected. It is not a cracked version of the disk but simply a copy. So I don't think much can be done unless you know how to crack disks.

By the way if you ADF the actual original game disks the exact same thing happens. Sorry.

scuzz
the protection is inter gap sector based. The protection is not visible per se like speedlock or copylock.
Old 02 August 2019, 22:57   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Both coverdisks are cracked and standard ADF files in the zone.

You are welcome
Old 02 August 2019, 23:32   #9
scuzz

Hi

I did this today if anyone is interested. Never been interested in cracked disks to be honest. I generally have the originals. In this case I have them still stuck to the front of the magazine. Plus the original game and box.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuz...ust19_0203.htm

I include a bit of video.

scuzz
Old 03 August 2019, 16:01   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Hi

I did this today if anyone is interested. Never been interested in cracked disks to be honest. I generally have the originals. In this case I have them still stuck to the front of the magazine. Plus the original game and box.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuz...ust19_0203.htm

I include a bit of video.

scuzz
Not entirely sure what that has to do with the OP's problem.

Regardless of your opinion of cracked copies, there was no other way for people to use the coverdisks under emulation
Old 03 August 2019, 16:30   #11
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Both coverdisks are cracked and standard ADF files in the zone.

You are welcome
Thank you very much Sir Galahad; it's appreciated

...I do wonder why they went to such lengths of protecting a coverdisk?

Quote:

Regardless of your opinion of cracked copies, there was no other way for people to use the coverdisks under emulation
Exactly

...or even a real Amiga if you missed purchasing the magazine / coverdisk; or after imaging your original disks for say backup purposes.
Old 03 August 2019, 16:33   #12
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...I do wonder why they went to the length of protecting a coverdisk?
This was actually not that uncommon.
Old 03 August 2019, 16:35   #13
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
This was actually not that uncommon.
Yeah sure, but it's a game "demo" FFS
Old 03 August 2019, 17:28   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah sure, but it's a game "demo" FFS
It was done for several reasons.

Some developers didnt have access to anything other loading system other than what they used for the full game.

Many developers simply had no knowlege of Amiga disk systems so simply used what was provided (which makes the Leander protection legend more laughable as it wasnt even Travellers Tales disk system!).

And other developers surmised that if the demo was protected, then knobheads like me would crack it and spread it even further.
Old 03 August 2019, 21:41   #15
scuzz

Quote:

Always guarantee folk on EAB being complimentary. The guy wanted to know what was wrong with his Pirated copy of a disk. I went thro the motions of checking the disk on three Amigas and also checked my own disks. I then even went to the extreme of copying a bit of the footage of the game to show what the disk was like.

But as ever on EAB you guys just are so ungrateful. I really don't know why I bother. Call your self Amiga enthusiasts... you seriously are all download jockeys wanting a free lunch all the time. I get that, but hey. If you can't see the difference between having the real game, the magazine and a working Amiga running a copy of the actual cover disk then I pitty you. I really do. Just trying to to add something to the discussion. But hey... obviously not important so wont bother in future.

In truth I won't bother with this forum again. Pointless even trying.

By the way cracked copies as with the work here cracking a disk is illegal. All you have to do is buy the game or the disks when they become available. But thats not gonna happen is it cus the emulation is a tool to pilfer stuff off the internet. Always has been. Its not actual real Amiga computing its just your typical internet download for free kinda mentality.

So funny.

Bye
Old 03 August 2019, 22:56   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Always guarantee folk on EAB being complimentary.
Was I rude? I simply pointed out that your response didn't do anything to solve the OP's problem.

Quote:
The guy wanted to know what was wrong with his Pirated copy of a disk. I went thro the motions of checking the disk on three Amigas and also checked my own disks. I then even went to the extreme of copying a bit of the footage of the game to show what the disk was like.
And the guy was answered in post #4

Quote:
But as ever on EAB you guys just are so ungrateful.
Seems a stretch to me chap. He had a problem, it was answered and solved for him. You were duplicating information already given earlier in the thread and then going of on a diatribe about not wanting to use cracked copies etc.

Quote:
I really don't know why I bother.
Well, tantrum aside, the question was already answered. Did your response give any extra information that wasn't already present?

Quote:
Call your self Amiga enthusiasts...
This is the premier Amiga related forum in the world so, I think thats a given.

Quote:
you seriously are all download jockeys wanting a free lunch all the time.
Evidently not true with how much support new games get on here.

Quote:
I get that, but hey. If you can't see the difference between having the real game, the magazine and a working Amiga running a copy of the actual cover disk then I pitty you. I really do.
I refer you back to post #4 in this thread that actually highlighted what the problem was, not everyone can be a expert in all areas of the Amiga, hence why someone posted a thread asking..... "pitty" indeed!

Quote:
Just trying to to add something to the discussion. But hey... obviously not important so wont bother in future.
Except, you didn't add anything.

Quote:
Bit of an over reaction. Maybe read the threads better and then contribute appropriately?

Quote:
By the way cracked copies as with the work here cracking a disk is illegal.
Yes, everyone is well aware of that, we will all worry about the Police knocking at our doors for circulating cracks of coverdisks from defunct magazines!

Quote:
All you have to do is buy the game or the disks when they become available.
That would be illegal. Clearly you've never read a games manual which in most cases says the following "It is illegal to hire, resell or copy this game without the written permission of xx software company."

But lets pretend we don't care about that, what is the likelihood of someone being able to buy a VERIFIED coverdisk of Aladdin Demo in 100% working condition?

Who is the money going to? Certainly not the publisher.

Quote:
But thats not gonna happen is it cus the emulation is a tool to pilfer stuff off the internet.
Who is the financial loser when a DEMO COVERDISK is cracked for greater exposure/preserving?

Quote:
Always has been. Its not actual real Amiga computing its just your typical internet download for free kinda mentality.
Lets remind ourselves.... A COVERDISK DEMO that has NO financial value to anyone is being argued about here.

Quote:
So funny.
Yeah, hilarious isn't it?

Quote:
Bye
Is this before or after you take your ball in?
Old 04 August 2019, 00:22   #17
DamienD
Global Moderator

There's not really much for me to add after Galahad's post scuzz... but I do find this part of your post highly amusing.
Quote:
it cus the emulation is a tool to pilfer stuff off the internet. Always has been. Its not actual real Amiga computing its just your typical internet download for free kinda mentality.
Oh right, emulation is evil and the cause of all piracy

What about cracking groups / BBS that existed back in the day???

...and you're saying that "real" Amiga users don't download stuff off the internet for use on their hardware?

Give me a break... if you knew your history then you would know that piracy was rife on the Amiga (and many other systems) way before any emulators came about / into existence.

Also, don't forget that over the past 10 years or so, most new Amiga games are developed on an emulator first (as it makes things 100 times easier), before being tested on real hardware.

If it wasn't for emulation, the Amiga scene wouldn't be as strong and diverse as it is today; fact!!!
Old 04 August 2019, 00:49   #18
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Always guarantee folk on EAB being complimentary. The guy wanted to know what was wrong with his Pirated copy of a disk. I went thro the motions of checking the disk on three Amigas and also checked my own disks. I then even went to the extreme of copying a bit of the footage of the game to show what the disk was like.

But as ever on EAB you guys just are so ungrateful. I really don't know why I bother. Call your self Amiga enthusiasts... you seriously are all download jockeys wanting a free lunch all the time. I get that, but hey. If you can't see the difference between having the real game, the magazine and a working Amiga running a copy of the actual cover disk then I pitty you. I really do. Just trying to to add something to the discussion. But hey... obviously not important so wont bother in future.

By the way cracked copies as with the work here cracking a disk is illegal. All you have to do is buy the game or the disks when they become available. But thats not gonna happen is it cus the emulation is a tool to pilfer stuff off the internet. Always has been. Its not actual real Amiga computing its just your typical internet download for free kinda mentality.

So funny.

Bye
Well to me it's clear that you're locked in 1994. Out of the ADF with intergap protection removed, the only way is to use a CTraw dump or an IPF.

What is this stuff mixing the 'piracy-free meal-pilfing stuff on the internet'.

The copyright is important, but the datas and disk content not dying are superior in priority and interest.

Galahad removed the disk gap check, and now the ADFs can be used.

So What ?
Old 04 August 2019, 00:50   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This seems the most bizarre thread we had since a long time.
Old 04 August 2019, 06:26   #20
Hewitson

Saying Galahad just wants a free lunch was way out of line. He is one of the biggest contributors to the Amiga community and he has forgotten more about the Amiga than you'll ever know.

Cracking a piece of software is not illegal. It's the distribution of that cracked software that is illegal.