English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 May 2019, 15:59   #1
Diguelo
Registered User

Diguelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 29
Final Writer

An old word processor written by Harwoods Computing, sentimental reason for wanting a copy of it or route to finding one please.

May be part of a Final Office, it was in development when I had to move out of the area. (Derbyshire)
Diguelo is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 16:20   #2
kolla
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 1,899
Final Writer 97? Final Writer 2015? Isn't it still being "actively" developed?
kolla is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 16:36   #3
Diguelo
Registered User

Diguelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 29
97. I used to offer a helping hand to the developers. Local to me.
Diguelo is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 16:46   #4
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 15,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diguelo View Post
An old word processor written by Harwoods Computing, sentimental reason for wanting a copy of it or route to finding one please.
On the EAB File Server at these locations

Older versions here.
DamienD is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 16:49   #5
Diguelo
Registered User

Diguelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 29
Lol thanks again Damien
Diguelo is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 17:29   #6
onkelarie
Registered User

onkelarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Spijkenisse / the Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 487
I still use FW on a weekly basis, just because I can and have no need to exchange its format with latest openoffice/office suites. Nice tool!
onkelarie is offline  
Old 09 May 2019, 18:22   #7
DofD
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Victoria, Canada
Age: 51
Posts: 134
New development work is being done on Final Writer, based on FW97. Currently I believe the group is working on porting it to OS4.1, AROS, and MorphOS. I have seen people put in enhancement requests for .doc, .docx, and .odf file formats.
DofD is offline  
Old 10 May 2019, 01:36   #8
Diguelo
Registered User

Diguelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 29
Good plan.
Diguelo is offline  
Old 10 May 2019, 13:07   #9
terminills
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Final Writer 97? Final Writer 2015? Isn't it still being "actively" developed?
No quotes needed yes it is. :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.png
Views:	171
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	63036  

Last edited by terminills; 10 May 2019 at 13:12. Reason: added attachment
terminills is offline  
Old 10 May 2019, 13:30   #10
onkelarie
Registered User

onkelarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Spijkenisse / the Netherlands
Age: 49
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DofD View Post
New development work is being done on Final Writer, based on FW97. Currently I believe the group is working on porting it to OS4.1, AROS, and MorphOS. I have seen people put in enhancement requests for .doc, .docx, and .odf file formats.
That's pretty awesome. If applications like office suites catch up with today's mainstream fileformats, it could bring back more daily use for everyday tasks.
onkelarie is offline  
Old 10 May 2019, 13:47   #11
terminills
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
That's pretty awesome. If applications like office suites catch up with today's mainstream fileformats, it could bring back more daily use for everyday tasks.

It's going to take a few versions to get to where I personally want to be. However, here's the list of what to expect for the initial release.


Datatype support for clipart, PDF output, Updated RTF support(final rtf spec), Truetype fonts, an updated spell checker(OpenOffice dictionary compatibility) and, many bug fixes.
terminills is offline  
Old 11 May 2019, 14:22   #12
Diguelo
Registered User

Diguelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: England
Posts: 29
Good luck with it.
Diguelo is offline  
Old 30 May 2019, 18:33   #13
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

gdonner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Elkhart / United States
Posts: 68
My hat's off to the devs doing this work! How did they get their hands on the source code though? Or is it being reverse-engineered?

In any case, improved table support would be excellent--IIRC, FW 97 had added early table support already.

But I think the biggest/best thing (at least initially) would be document support with LibreOffice and Micro$lug Office. Seeing as both LibreOffice and M$ Office documents are XML-based(?), should be fairly easy to port and squash bugs.
gdonner is offline  
Old 03 June 2019, 19:27   #14
terminills
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
My hat's off to the devs doing this work! How did they get their hands on the source code though? Or is it being reverse-engineered?

In any case, improved table support would be excellent--IIRC, FW 97 had added early table support already.

But I think the biggest/best thing (at least initially) would be document support with LibreOffice and Micro$lug Office. Seeing as both LibreOffice and M$ Office documents are XML-based(?), should be fairly easy to port and squash bugs.
I bought it.
terminills is offline  
Old 10 June 2019, 18:11   #15
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

gdonner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Elkhart / United States
Posts: 68
^^ Thanks for doing so! I wish you the best in its further development--FW was what I was using before my original A4000 kicked the bucket about 20 years ago...
gdonner is offline  
Old 27 July 2019, 01:50   #16
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 44
Posts: 343
Just wondering if there's a progress update regarding Final Writer 2019? Do you have an estimated release date and price or is it a case of "it'll be ready when it's ready"?

Many thanks for all your hard work.
roberthazelby is offline  
Old 31 July 2019, 20:46   #17
terminills
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Just wondering if there's a progress update regarding Final Writer 2019? Do you have an estimated release date and price or is it a case of "it'll be ready when it's ready"?

Many thanks for all your hard work.

I don't want to quote a firm date but I am hoping to have something usable available in the near future.
terminills is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Data, Final Writer, Word Perfect, & C++ ver6 BlackHat MarketPlace 4 22 February 2019 15:37
Final Writer 97 Charlie request.Apps 8 08 December 2009 23:53
Final Writer 97 Demiurgo request.Apps 6 09 December 2006 23:02
Final Writer 5.03 alkis21 support.Apps 1 05 June 2003 22:20
Final Writer! ElectroBlaster request.Apps 8 05 July 2002 15:59

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09285 seconds with 14 queries