English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 February 2010, 22:30   #1
bebek

What hot air soldering station to buy

Hi

I need to buy a hot air soldering station. There are many of them on ebay. Does anybody has expirience with any of them. Please help me choose. I can spend around £80. I was looking at this one :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMD-Rework-Sol...ht_4140wt_1165

Old 10 February 2010, 00:12   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

This is the one that I have setup in my workshop/office

its a great bit of kit, I cannot RAVE loud enough for it =D well worth the £80!!

you also get 10 iron tips & replacement ceramic elements for the hot-air AND the iron!

It is definately worth the money!!!

Tip

Remember to remove the Pump holding screws on the bottom of the unit ( 2 second job ) if you dont it may damage the pump -

also, when turning off the hot-air it has an after-cool feature to stop the unit from bursting into flames LOL so dont panic when it doens't go off straight away.

also go hit up youtube for some tutorials with the Kada 825D+

I have had my Kada 852D+ for atleast two years of serious use - in that time I have only recently changed the ceramic core on the iron..

heres my current setup

was taken recently as I was retro-fitting an MATX PSU to an Amiga Brick over on AmiBay =)
Old 10 February 2010, 11:56   #3
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Yep, that KADA is good, i have one too works ok for 1240 - 1260 upgrades and anything else i get my hands on.
Zetr0: still dont see a scope there!
Old 10 February 2010, 11:58   #4
xc8
no c= no fun

As I see, it will be dispatched from China, what about the custom's tax? (posted to UK)...

Chris
Old 10 February 2010, 12:00   #5
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
i never paid any taxes, but that was just luck
Old 10 February 2010, 14:16   #6
chiark
Needs a life

I got an aoyue 738 from BuyAoyue.com a couple of years back: I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 10 February 2010, 14:50   #7
Allen1

That is a nice set up Zetro,

my workshop is made of breeze blocks, concrete floor and a slanted flat roof, it still gets damp in there though. My hot air soldering system WAS a Danotherm one till the heating element went, would you believe it would cost £187 to replace the element ie you send the hand-piece to Merit of Motherwell LTD and they have to send it to Sweden or was it Switzerland as the makers will not allow anyone else to do the replacing! That was a couple of years ago and I never got round to buying something else as my eyesight is not as good as it was, At least I have made some use of the hand piece, its plug is now on the foot-pedal of my pace desoldering system Due to the damp and cold weather, I do some of the soldering in the house, it will be great when the weather improves though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.jpg
Views:	2892
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	24240  
Old 10 February 2010, 16:55   #8
chiark
Needs a life

@Allan1 - what's the incredibly cool binocular inspection thingy called? I'd be very much up for one of those!
Old 10 February 2010, 17:21   #9
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
@Allan1 - what's the incredibly cool binocular inspection thingy called? I'd be very much up for one of those!
Hi there chiark,

it is basically what you mentioned a stereo inspection scope. With this you can examine SMD devices and touch up solder joints and the likes with a soldering iron. I must admit it is easier using one eye while doing things with this though, the light source used to be an LED torch where the batteries corroded, not so neat but it works well.

I also have a Dynascope TS-2 which is easier on the eye but doesn't give much room to allow solder repairs as the lens is very close to the work. Ebay is the place to find this type of item and the best magnifier I have used is a Mantis which can have different strength lenses fitted and you just need to rotate the lenses to the best for the job, it is also designed to be used for card repair purposes and is very light.

Anyway a cheaper idea is to use a small camera and a video display that takes its signal, it also works reasonably well for drilling out holes for dips and transistors on home made PCB's when your eyesight is not what it should be
Old 11 February 2010, 00:36   #10
Stedy

@bebek

I use a SMT rework station from Aoyue. Take a look here: http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/index...category_id=14

Mine is the rather expensive 2702 model, but the 850 or 852 models shown on that page should meet your needs and budget.

@thread

Attached is a picture of my workshop, a little messy but there was some amiga development work going on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jan_2009_pt1.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	24249  
Old 11 February 2010, 02:08   #11
Allen1

They're not bad prices and they are in the UK so no import duties to pay.

I like your workshop and you have a lot of storage there that uses the space well, I am totally disorganised in mine and the slight dampness would be a killer for any paperwork that I could store. I think I would spend a lot more time in mine if it wasn't at the bottom of the garden and the weather was better I might have even finished off the Mig welding trolley I started in late summer lord knows I should have done so by now
Old 11 February 2010, 02:35   #12
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Hmm I didnt realise you could get one of these for a reasonable amount... Im very tempted to get one as I have a few parts in need of attention.

I have a motherboard with a broken plcc socket and its amazing how many people turn their nose up at fixing it... im getting a bit fed up with the "throw it away" attitude when I know I could do it.
Old 11 February 2010, 02:42   #13
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Attached is a picture of my workshop, a little messy but there was some amiga development work going on
Wow! My hardware hero use the same way as I to organize the workshop.
Old 11 February 2010, 07:40   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimlow View Post
Zetr0: still dont see a scope there!
LOL.... yeah.... i know.... imma bad BUT, my Amiga Amigo XC8 bellow has been helping me find one =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
As I see, it will be dispatched from China, what about the custom's tax? (posted to UK)...

Chris
I have orded 3 of these units, and a further solder-sucking station - I have not paid any excise or duty tax on anything from hong-kong - it just takes upto 3 weeks to deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimlow View Post
i never paid any taxes, but that was just luck
I am unsure about it being just luck, I think the goods may have to be commercial for taxing or perhaps are labeled as gift - hence exempt.

I receieve a ton of stuff from China / Hong Kong from batches of CF / IDE adapters to SCSI adapters, dongles and do-hickies, not had tax yet.... however... from the US, oh boy... taxed and then handling charges.... outragious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Hmm I didnt realise you could get one of these for a reasonable amount... Im very tempted to get one as I have a few parts in need of attention.
Good to see you still around EB =)

I have to admit, insofar as tools go, the Kada 852D+ is the best tool I have bought in a very long time, its used atleast 4 or 5 times a week for anything from 30 minutes to several hours at a time, its a great piece of kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
I have a motherboard with a broken plcc socket and its amazing how many people turn their nose up at fixing it... im getting a bit fed up with the "throw it away" attitude when I know I could do it.
That gets my goat too sir, the throw-away society really has a lot ot answer for - alas in the most part its just not cost effective to repair some items... its very sad but thats world economics for you.. sux IMHO - not getting political but when labour costs become a standard accross the globe, there will be a lot more (lets repair it first) lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
@bebek

@thread

Looks nice and cozy in there Stedy!!! Imma moving in =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
That is a nice set up Zetro,
Thanks its taken a couple-o-few years in building up the tools, the picture only shows one quarter of the office, sitting at the desk, behind me in the picture is my programming station with all my programmers prom / pal / gal etc and computers

Quote:
my workshop is made of breeze blocks, concrete floor and a slanted flat roof, it still gets damp in there though.
My office / workshop is actually a 4 meter by 3.4 meter conservatory - as such it damn cold in the winter and incredibly hot in the summer

still not sure I wanna trade you though LOL

Quote:
My hot air soldering system WAS a Danotherm one till the heating element went, would you believe it would cost £187 to replace the element
... ... ......

how much was the system to buy new?

Quote:
Due to the damp and cold weather, I do some of the soldering in the house, it will be great when the weather improves though.
I asked the missues once if I could do some soldering in the living room as the consevatory was too cold....
.... I got the look........

However I am looking forward to seeing some of your work posted =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Wow! My hardware hero use the same way as I to organize the workshop.
Zetr0 mumbles - "you should see the other 3 quarters of my office/workshop... it would be VERY familiar indeed... lol"

@bebek / ElectroBlaster

Chaps - did some fleabay hunttin' so check these out -

898D Hot Air Gun 2 IN 1 REWORK STATION SMD IRON £64.99 (free postage) *China*

SMD Rework Soldering Station HOT AIR & IRON 2in1 852D+ £69.00 (free postage) *China*

not bad methinks... definately in the pocket-money budget =D

Last edited by Zetr0; 11 February 2010 at 07:47.
Old 11 February 2010, 13:39   #15
Allen1

Hi there Zetro, the Danotherm R2200VA is an industrial unit designed for factory use and uses compressed air to blow and create a vacuum via its internal venturi to pick up the part when the solder has melted. It was a brilliant machine and the same type was also used in the electronics factory where I used to work. I bought mine second hand and I think the basic unit was over £700 back then but obviously I didn't pay anything like that. I got about a years usage out of the unit till the heating element broke and what a shock I got when I found out how much a new fitted element was going to cost.

Most of the stuff I have built from scratch are Burglar alarms, optical sensors to replace micro switches which would break via physical contact and light sequencers driven by programmed eprom ie for Waltzers and other fairground rides. Although I still have all the equipment needed to continue things like, I don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to see many things through, see the word of warning at the end.

No doubt you will have heard of the Andrew hobby Eprom programmer that was on the internet and was available in a Protel layout, that version had different libraries to mine and I had to do some major track and position changes to be able to print it out for use with my UV exposure unit, I never did manage to get the other transistors to finish that project. There is also an early working optical sensor using an op amp which I later changed in the real thing to a quad op amp and 4 relays on one board and finally the burned out circuit board was an actual circuit board I was given from a fairground ride, I redesigned that board to use opto isolating triacs to drive the mains voltage triacs and keep things safe at low voltage on the new PCB.

A word of warning if you wish to keep your knowledge and your ability to be creative and do the things you like as in electronics, DO NOT take cholesterol lowering medication ie Statins, this stuff doesn't just physically cause problems but also crosses the blood brain barrier and causes a lot of memory problems to say the least, I am just starting to work out how I used to do things now and it is 3 years since I stopped taking them so be warned and keep your mind as it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	24250   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	24251   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	24252   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	24253   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	24254  

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	24255  
Old 11 February 2010, 14:39   #16
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
so keep off the flora if you want to do electronics for a long time then

Very nice to see some user dives here

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 11 February 2010 at 17:27.
Old 11 February 2010, 15:33   #17
chiark
Needs a life

@Zetr0: I can't see buckets and buckets of flux - that can't be your workstation!
Old 11 February 2010, 17:54   #18
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
so keep off the flora if you want to do electronics for a long time then

Very nice to see some user dives here
Flora isn't so bad, its the medication that you are given by your doctor that does the damage. The whole cholesterol theory is what is wrong, your body makes it to repair damaged cells and to make testosterone and a multitude of other things that you require to live. I must admit that the Benicol advert and the "Lets Talk about Cholesterol" crap really makes me angry as well as the "war?" against Cholesterol and the silly target numbers designed to get as many people using statins. It truly is criminal what that stuff can do both physically and mentally, don't let yourselves be talked into taking any Cholesterol reducing medication, Zocor which is Simvastatin was my poison and here are a few comments left by others:-

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...766&name=ZOCOR
Old 11 February 2010, 19:35   #19
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Try adding lots of olive oil to your regular food and cholesterol will suddenly go to normal.

OK, you'll go fatter.
Old 11 February 2010, 20:11   #20
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;641834
Try adding lots of olive oil to your regular food and cholesterol will suddenly go to normal.

OK, you'll go fatter.
Hi there rkauer, I'm fat enough already olive oil is a very good addition, also Co-enzyme Q10, L Carnitine, Omega 3 and a whole host of other supplements, they do help but are not a cure to the damage that is done and still continues. Its very expensive trying to get some form of normality once you have been damaged by Statins, your body has basically been starved of the vital substances it needed to keep things working right and in many cases it can take years to improve if it ever does. We live in one crazy world where Pharmaceuticals are in charge and not the government unless there is money involved never mind about conspiracy theories.