English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 November 2008, 12:28   #1
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

VSync delays audio

Hi,

I am not that used to WinUAE so after searching and reading other threads I am still worrying about the following issue. If this has been answered before, please point me to the right thread. Thanks!

When using the Fullscreen + VSync feature, the audio gets out of sync. Enabling the on screen leds, the first field showing the audio buffer will turn blue and go up to -99. WinUAE is set to 50Hz, I am emulating a PAL A500. My screen in Windows does run at 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz. I am using the exact same resolution for fullscreen in WinUAE.

Switching my computer to 1680 x 1050 @ 50 Hz has no effect on WinUAE.

The problem goes away when not using VSync. I however have to activate VSync because I want to use a filter:

I double the horizontal and vertical size of the screen, but using a null filter leaves the scaling to the LCD again (which only has 1050 lines, so it resizes the screen again a little bit). This makes the image a little bit blurry. Switching to Direct3D as a filter removes this problem (lower bottom of the screen gets cut off, but this is ok because there is no real information there (except for the on screen leds of course).

BUT: In this mode I get tearing which means that there is something wrong with VSync. Enabling VSync removes the problem - but my audio is off in this case. Leaving off VSync makes my audio sync again, but scrolling screen content (e.g. Battle Squadron) looks jerky. PowerStrip does not change anything, except that I know that the screen is running at 50 Hz.

Is there anything regarding that "audio being of sync" issue?

Any hints?

I am using WinUAE on a MacBook Pro, running in a native Windows XP using BootCamp. Nothing is emulated right here, I can boot straight into Windows using real drivers for the hardware I use (Radeon X1600 with 256 MB VRAM). Audio is a SigmaTel built in audio. Just in case...

Best
Chris
Old 24 November 2008, 13:51   #2
TCD

Running WinUAE at 1680x1050 with enabled Direct3D filters might explain that the sound goes way off. Try reducing the resolution (to something near 480 pixels in height) and if possible also deactivate the Direct3D filter. Now you should be able to play with VSync on and correct audio When this works reenable Direct3D filter and see if that works with a reduced resolution
Old 24 November 2008, 14:35   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does 60Hz Vsync work? (which means faster sound and emulation)
Old 24 November 2008, 17:08   #4
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

It might be a completly different problem but I noticed Vsync makes a big lag for keyboard and joystick. Pinballs games like are nearly not playable in vsync.
Old 25 November 2008, 20:56   #5
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does 60Hz Vsync work? (which means faster sound and emulation)
Hi,

sorry, not it does not. Tried also using quickstart and then changed everything back to full screen + vsync. Same effect. But that blue 99 is a +99, not a -99.

I noticed audio playback being SLOWER instead of faster. Also tried lowering the screen size (which looks bad on an LCD anyhow), but the audio is still +99 behind.

Is there anything I can do to help fixing this problem? Any logs, output - whatever?

Best
Chris
Old 25 November 2008, 21:16   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you really get real 60Hz rate? (check monitor's onscreen display)
Display driver 3D vsync not disabled? (it will also disable 2D vsync)
What if you run without sound? (completely disabled)

Do not use any filters, use as basic setup as possible.
Old 25 November 2008, 23:15   #7
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Hi Toni,

sorry, forget to untick that "50 Hz" option besides the resolution setting. It seems like everything is fine when using 60 Hz, except for Battle Squadron locking up but it continues when I set the virtual machine to PAL again.

But I think I might have found something pointing to the right direction. 50Hz is written in brackets, even when forcing the graphics card to accept 50 Hz via PowerStrip. Could it be that I have do modify the monitor .inf to make WinUAE also see 50 Hz being available?

Sorry for the confusion. Would like to read in depth on this, but did not find anything useful.

Best,
Chris
Old 26 November 2008, 15:37   #8
AmigaFriend

Hello vince,

For me through my experiences on this matter putting the emulation in fullscreen+vsync 60hz it actually makes things faster and sound higher pitched.

Basic setup with no filters. Monitor outputs real 60hz.

EDIT: Using 1.5.3

After reading more carefully actually is the Macbook powerful enough to put winaue screens at that resolution with those filters enabled? Try lowering the winuae resolution and see if it resolves the problem.

Last edited by AmigaFriend; 26 November 2008 at 15:51.
Old 26 November 2008, 15:47   #9
AmigaFriend

Another thing is maybe the monitor cannot lower the frequency from 60hz it is quite common on lcd/tft
Old 26 November 2008, 15:54   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Another thing is maybe the monitor cannot lower the frequency from 60hz it is quite common on lcd/tft
That's right, unless you have an old LCD/TFT which really supports 50Hz. It doesn't matter what Powerstrip shows, newer displays cannot lower the frequency from 60Hz.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 November 2008 at 16:04.
Old 26 November 2008, 21:06   #11
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Well, I assume this is a mix of a mistake made by me, missing documentation (no offense...) and the hassle with Windows display drivers.

I assume the MacBook Pro should be fast enough. It does indeed not change anything switching from 1680 x 1050 to 320 x 240 - at 60 Hz there is no delay problem. With two cores at 2.33 GHz (Core 2 Duo), 2 GiB RAM and a 256 MB Radeon X1600 it is fast enough running several 3D engines like WoW with full resolution, a decent amount of shaders et al.

I am currently assuming that my problem has to do with the brackets () around 50 Hz. I think that WinUAE sees the refresh rates available because they change when switching resolution. I also tried forcing my screen to 50 Hz using PowerStrip. The monitor does indicate the change with garbage when switching and I think I see some flicker induced by the backlight. I guess this is WHY the maker does not want you to switch to 50 Hz, but I just want to find out if this is the problem. I will investiage if modifying the information given back by display driver / monitor will change what WinUAE has to offer. This might just be a plain Windows problem. We'll see.

Sorry for some confusion and thanks for reading. Can someone point me to an FAQ or Wiki I could put the results in in case I find a solution?

Best,
Chris
Old 26 November 2008, 21:15   #12
AmigaFriend

No confusion at all, vince. We are here to help each other. And posting a solution you can put it here on EAB that's one of the main sources of Amiga knowledge, on this thread or other specific.

Tell if you need any further help or specific tests to be made so we can all help.

Cheers,
X-Pect