English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 August 2019, 00:17   #1
trydowave

having trouble using palette on amiga paint programs

hi. been trying Dpaint, PPaint etc. i seem to be having the same problem on all of them.

i load up a palette that i want to use and then a picture im working on and it changes the palette? how do i keep the palette i want.

Also. why does the whole palette change when i change a few colours? this change also effects the entire tool bar?

I used to own Dpaint years ago but i never used it that much and im used to modern software so this is throwing me a bit.

thanks in advance.
Old 19 August 2019, 00:37   #2
thomas

Not sure if it's that what you are talking about, but that's how palette-mapped screen modes work. Each pixel holds the number of a pen and the palette holds the color of each pen. If you change a pen's color in the palette, all pixels drawn by that pen change their color, too.

If you want to set the color if each pixel individually, you need a true-color painting program like TVPaint or PerfectPaint. But these need a graphics card with true-color screen modes, too. They won't work on the Amiga's native graphics chipset.
Old 19 August 2019, 00:44   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
hi. been trying Dpaint, PPaint etc. i seem to be having the same problem on all of them.

i load up a palette that i want to use and then a picture im working on and it changes the palette? how do i keep the palette i want.

Also. why does the whole palette change when i change a few colours? this change also effects the entire tool bar?

I used to own Dpaint years ago but i never used it that much and im used to modern software so this is throwing me a bit.

thanks in advance.
You will have to load the picture up first, and then change the palette afterwards.

When you load an IFF file, the paint program will automatically take the palette from the IFF picture and use that.
Old 20 August 2019, 13:38   #4
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You will have to load the picture up first, and then change the palette afterwards.

When you load an IFF file, the paint program will automatically take the palette from the IFF picture and use that.
hi. ive tried this but when i load a saved palette it changes all the colours in my picture too. i think i know now why; as described by the post above.

should of been obvious to me that a program like dpaint IV on ECS can only display the 32 or 64 colours choosen in an already coloured picture (using the default palette) and loading a new separate palette to use in that picture is an impossibility because it goes beyond the amount of colours allowed.

As i went along I realised I wanted a more pastel palette. i should have created that palette first.

i think i might start from scratch. oh well.

thanks
Old 20 August 2019, 13:55   #5
daxb

PPaint 7 should be able to do the palette stuff you want. I think there is a palette <-> picture merge function.
Old 21 August 2019, 10:30   #6
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
PPaint 7 should be able to do the palette stuff you want. I think there is a palette <-> picture merge function.
thanks. ill give it a go
Old 21 August 2019, 11:32   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

When I need to reorder the colours of a palette, usually I do it by hand (a bit boring and may be long process), but working at 100%. Not pixel by pixel of course

Looking here, maybe @invent could give us a tip on how he achieved the colour reduction (as I believe it's the same process as a palette change). Maybe he has a faster process, than the manual one, to share
Old 21 August 2019, 17:11   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

I don't know for DPaint, but if you want to use more than 32 or 64 colors and you have an AGA machine, at least PPaint can choose 128 or 256 colors. It can also perform color reduction if you change to a screen mode with less colors than the current image.
You may also adapt an image to the palette of another image, by cutting a part (giving you a brush) and loading the second image. Select option to use palette from brush, then choose to recompute the image.

When changing many colors in a palette, i have the quite brutal but fast method of using an assembler to generate data (out of dc.b directives), and then insert that data directly in the CMAP chunk of some IFF file
Old 22 August 2019, 00:10   #9
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I don't know for DPaint, but if you want to use more than 32 or 64 colors and you have an AGA machine, at least PPaint can choose 128 or 256 colors. It can also perform color reduction if you change to a screen mode with less colors than the current image.
You may also adapt an image to the palette of another image, by cutting a part (giving you a brush) and loading the second image. Select option to use palette from brush, then choose to recompute the image.

When changing many colors in a palette, i have the quite brutal but fast method of using an assembler to generate data (out of dc.b directives), and then insert that data directly in the CMAP chunk of some IFF file
i do my art using PP and Dpaint on an A1200 with 128mb fast ram ACA 1232/33.

Recently ive been looking at using my A600 vampire more but im not sure if it will work out better...
sure its faster but its ecs only and RTG i think but i haven't looked into the later. To be honest im only really interested in doing pixel art with 16, 32 and 64 colours because i like the look of limited palettes.