English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 11 January 2016, 13:50   #1
Amigajay

CDTV Titles Needing Conversion

Last edited by Amigajay; 07 February 2021 at 09:44.
Old 11 January 2016, 22:23   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Would using an ECS WHDLoad version be OK? I'm thinking of Wrath Of the Demon, Turrican series, that could work with CD32LOAD.

Lucas games (Loom, Indy) don't work because of 1.3-only way of opening the screen. The only alternative would be an AGA-fix (did that on monkey island a long time ago, but forgot how!) or whdload slave.
A lot of games on your list are OS-friendly. Well, Kick 1.3 friendly Probably because no OS-killer CD loading routine was developped at the time (unlike on CD32)

I'm thinking more and more about adding Kickemu support to CD32Load. Unless Bert adapts whdloadCD32 to CD load & joypad remap. We'll see.
Old 11 January 2016, 22:55   #3
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Would using an ECS WHDLoad version be OK? I'm thinking of Wrath Of the Demon, Turrican series, that could work with CD32LOAD.
I think for most that should be fine. I've released the CDTV versions of Turrican on a compilation already, 1 is loaded via KillAGA and 2 is loaded via WHDLoad. The Turrican CDTV versions are better than the floppy ones on CD32 because of additional gamepad support (especially for the high score table).

Quote:
I'm thinking more and more about adding Kickemu support to CD32Load. Unless Bert adapts whdloadCD32 to CD load & joypad remap. We'll see.
yes please
Old 11 January 2016, 23:12   #4
Amigajay

Quote:
As long as theres no difference to the CDTV version and they can be played with a control pad with no issues i dont see a problem.

Ive updated the non working list to seperate which games are ports and which are only CDTV only, others need an English version if available.

Last edited by Amigajay; 11 January 2016 at 23:34.
Old 12 January 2016, 10:49   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

wrath of the demon OCS works fine with CD32Load on a CD32 (emulator).
One off the list...
Old 13 January 2016, 07:10   #6
earok

however..

I've noticed that WOTD's save file is only 320 bytes. I presume there's no chance of NVRAM saving planned for CD32Load? If not, I think I can just do a bunch of saves for it.

Edit: I've started doing manual saves for the game, and then hacking them to have a full suite of potions. I can't make any sense of the save file format so I'm playing through the whole game, in each slot (32 bytes) the first three bytes correlate to the three potions and the very last one correlates to the level, but I can't understand how all of the bytes in the middle work.

Last edited by earok; 13 January 2016 at 12:10.
Old 17 January 2016, 23:35   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

NVRAM save is a bit early... We'll see later.

BTW 2 new titles working with CD32LOAD V0.09 released today: Turrican & Turrican 2 (whdload, cdtv versions), which makes 2 off the list!
Old 23 January 2016, 23:29   #8
Amigajay

Have been testing the working cdtv titles today on my CD32 to clarify the list, and have updated it accordingly, only a few changes from the results i found;

Classic Board Games - doesn't need a mouse, joypad works fine.
Sherlock Holmes - needs mouse
Team Yankee - needs mouse

Played Snoopy and Raffles for a bit, not sure why a keyboard is needed (original person who playtested stated so) perhaps i haven't reached that stage, but they certainly are playable as far as i can tell.

Ive updated the first post to reflect the changes.

Btw if someone can gratefully make new isos for the new cd32load (cdtv) versions i.e turrican 2 and wrath of the demon (earok has already made turrican for us in the zone) i'll test them on real hardware.

Edit:

Those who want new CD32 covers for the CDTV compatible games I've added them on my blog today, you can get them here.

Last edited by Amigajay; 24 January 2016 at 17:01.
Old 05 March 2016, 22:41   #9
Amigajay

I've updated the first post again, been testing and burning a few more CDTV titles, i forgot to move Sherlock Holmes from working to non-working as it crashes when the cdxl segments load.

Sim City, Falcon and Case of the Cautious Condor games all work on the CD32 and have been moved to their correct positions in the list (i should have remembered the former i bought it for £5 in a bin sale in Dixons) Falcon works but you need both a keyboard and mouse to operate.

Finally I've burned some discs which i will test tomorrow using JOTDs latest CD32Load to hopefully get some unofficial CDTV-CD32 fixed games running and will upload them when tested and working.

So down to 19 non working CDTV games atm, hopefully that will be lower tomorrow!
I've also updated the working CDTV covers on my blog to bring it upto 25 (excluding cd32 versions)

Last edited by Amigajay; 06 March 2016 at 12:57.
Old 06 March 2016, 12:26   #10
Amigajay

Ok I've uploaded 4 CD32 compatible CDTV games (that weren't compatible before) to the ftp (cd32 folder).

Turrican (no more graphical errors)
Turrican 2
Holiday Maker (German Only, no English version)

all now run than thanks to JOTD's newest CD32Load.

Chaos in Andromeda - Eyes of the Eagle

I got running using killaga utility, so you can play the full CDTV version with cd audio, speech etc which wouldnt be possible using whdload.

That's all for now, others I've tried load but control issues prevent you from playing, Wrath of the demon loads after an age, but gets stuck on the title screen, Power Pinball plays from mouse but crashes when the ball hits a bumper on the outer walls!
Old 13 January 2017, 11:13   #11
regnaD kciN

I'm hoping something can be done with the CDTV version of Spirit of Excalibur, as I was the lead programmer on that project (as well as director of the voiceover recordings).

I found that, when I try to run it in Amiga Forever's CDTV environment, the publisher's and our company's intro animations come up just fine, but the game itself doesn't load.

(And, before you ask, no, I don't have any of the source code for that game -- and, besides, I suspect any incompatibilities came from the authoring process; we just created a floppy-based version that ran on an external drive connected to the CDTV with a CD of the audio tracks in the actual unit, then sent the whole mess to Commodore to create the actual final disc.)

Old 13 January 2017, 12:24   #12
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
I'm hoping something can be done with the CDTV version of Spirit of Excalibur, as I was the lead programmer on that project (as well as director of the voiceover recordings).

I found that, when I try to run it in Amiga Forever's CDTV environment, the publisher's and our company's intro animations come up just fine, but the game itself doesn't load.

(And, before you ask, no, I don't have any of the source code for that game -- and, besides, I suspect any incompatibilities came from the authoring process; we just created a floppy-based version that ran on an external drive connected to the CDTV with a CD of the audio tracks in the actual unit, then sent the whole mess to Commodore to create the actual final disc.)
Interesting.. I'm unfamiliar with the title but I've given it a quick test.

Seems to need NTSC mode enabled? Have you turned that on.

It may be possible to patch the ISO with a utility that forces the system into NTSC mode..

Edit: Or maybe not.. hmm. I'll investigate a bit more

Edit 2: It seems that there's something about the logo/intro that crashes the disc.. but if you run in NTSC mode it skips the logo, hence the game itself works..

Edit 3: On further investigation, it appears the issue relates to CD music.. if you just have an ISO of the game without music, it loads both the logo/intro and then the game proper just fine. I also found a related thread - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54353 I'll ask Toni what the story is..

Last edited by earok; 13 January 2017 at 13:12.
Old 13 January 2017, 12:50   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think I tested this on real CDTV and had same results. Only works in NTSC mode because it skips the logo parts that run the buggy CD access code..
Old 13 January 2017, 13:18   #14
earok

Ok! I've updated my copy of WinUAE to the latest stable (3.4.0), game works just fine.

So no problem with the Spirit of Excalibur image itself, just the emulator needs to be updated.
Old 13 January 2017, 13:21   #15
earok

Whoops, sorry @Toni didn't see your previous response! Looks like you've fixed it between 3.2.2 and 3.4..
Old 13 January 2017, 13:27   #16
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thats what happeneds when you let commodore master your disc.
Old 13 January 2017, 13:28   #17
earok

Ignore everything I've just said, problem seems to be in WinUAE 3.4 as well.. I really need some sleep.
Old 13 January 2017, 13:43   #18
Amigajay

Was the game released at all in Europe? Can't imagine many CDTV sold in the US, you try and find a NTSC version of Hutchinson's Encyclopedia!
Old 13 January 2017, 14:30   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post

Never knew there was a CDTV version. It was one of my most favorite games on the A500. Even had the original, .
Old 14 January 2017, 01:29   #20
earok

I presume we could simply replace the intro on the CDTV edition with the soundless one from the floppy disk version..

What I'm particularly interested in is why the game seems to be CD32 incompatible. It does not seem to have an issue playing on an A1200.