English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 June 2012, 01:48   #1
TDK
oldskool amiga musician??

TDK Chiptune album on the go

Hey ho old chums,

Thought I'd let you know that I brought TDK out or retirement last year, and have now started on a chiptune album in my (little) free time.

I've been putting soundbites on my Soundcloud page - http://soundcloud.com/marktdkknight

I'm going to looking to do some live sets too, not sure yet if I'll integrate the violin in some form (Russian Theme anyone?) so if you're interested please 'like' me facebook page, http://www.flitkillsmoths.co.uk

Also, if anyone is interested, I remixed and re-recorded my Cyberspeed soundtrack and put that on Bandcamp - http://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com/al...peed-unleashed

I think that's enough for now

m
Old 25 June 2012, 23:25   #2
cv643d

Nice!

Do you track them on the Amiga ?
Old 25 June 2012, 23:35   #3
TDK

Nope, they're sequenced. I've just got an A1200 up and running to use as a sampler though, plus the C64 is almost a go with the Mssiah cart and MIDINes, so it's not all fake
Old 01 July 2012, 10:41   #4
Exit

hey tdk, like your tunes mate...no more amiga tracking then?
Old 01 July 2012, 12:46   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK View Post
Hey ho old chums,

Thought I'd let you know that I brought TDK out or retirement last year, and have now started on a chiptune album in my (little) free time.

I've been putting soundbites on my Soundcloud page - http://soundcloud.com/marktdkknight

I'm going to looking to do some live sets too, not sure yet if I'll integrate the violin in some form (Russian Theme anyone?) so if you're interested please 'like' me facebook page, http://www.flitkillsmoths.co.uk

Also, if anyone is interested, I remixed and re-recorded my Cyberspeed soundtrack and put that on Bandcamp - http://marktdkknight.bandcamp.com/al...peed-unleashed

I think that's enough for now

m
Love it, love that you're bringing TDK back, and not taking the name in a different direction. Always loved your chip stuff when you were TDK, I only wish 4-Mat would resurrect some of his older stuff and re-visit it as well, then i'd die a happy man

Old 01 July 2012, 13:15   #6
TDK

Hello guys

Thanks. So, some of the tracks will easily convert to tracker, and the plan is to do that once the album is finished. I have a 1200 all up and running, but am going to use it as an 8bit sampler for now, then track. Gotta figure out the best way to play them live, without looking like someone standing in front of a laptop waving his arms around. Maybe use the violin, or maybe something a tad different

Agreed on 4-Mat - I'd love to hear some updated versions of those catchy tunes too!
Old 25 August 2012, 03:28   #7
TDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
hey tdk, like your tunes mate...no more amiga tracking then?
Thinking about releasing the whole album as a 4-channel mod tracker format afterwards, if I get the time
Old 25 August 2012, 09:44   #8
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

Quote:
Thinking about releasing the whole album as a 4-channel mod tracker format afterwards, if I get the time
Awesome, love your tunes.
Your Tune for Crystals Moonstone crack is legendary and still gets used in the PC Scene.
That and the Russian Tune from from MD's Tetris intro are two of my alltime favourite Amiga tunes.
Old 25 August 2012, 13:08   #9
TDK

Thanks.

Really, Maintheme2 is still being used? Cool. I was going to redo that for the 2nd chip album!

Russian Theme would be great to do live on the violin.......
Old 25 August 2012, 13:47   #10
lesta_smsc

Wow! TDK Awesome!

I love "Melon-Glo-Mania" - trying to find the full version rather than taster!

The Dark Knight rises...!
Old 25 August 2012, 16:09   #11
TDK

Thanks.

Melon is part of the album. There's only teasers until the album is released on Bandcamp, then if it makes any cash it'll go on iTunes etc.

Ha, yep, TDKR
Old 25 August 2012, 16:12   #12
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Great stuff! With this, ilkae/Pas Maters and Purple Om releasing new albums I think we can safely say amiga chip guys are back. (and there are a couple more things that haven't been publicly announced yet afaik)

Galahad: I think when people want updated versions they're thinking along the lines of Amiga Remix or the Immortal series. Creatively that doesn't really interest me as the raw sound of the amiga is what gives the songs their sparkle. (imo)
Old 25 August 2012, 16:17   #13
TDK

Oh cool - didn't realise there were others. We should start our own netlabel

I'm with Galahad Mat, there's a load of your tunes I'd like to hear revamped That first track on your latest album was great for that
Old 26 August 2012, 01:38   #14
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Thanks.

Melon is part of the album. There's only teasers until the album is released on Bandcamp, then if it makes any cash it'll go on iTunes etc.

Ha, yep, TDKR
I'm looking forward to the full release then
Quote:

I'm with Galahad Mat, there's a load of your tunes I'd like to hear revamped That first track on your latest album was great for that
There was a site that remixed various amiga tunes. Here's one of my all time favourites! http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00105/
Old 26 August 2012, 02:05   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mat_ View Post
Great stuff! With this, ilkae/Pas Maters and Purple Om releasing new albums I think we can safely say amiga chip guys are back. (and there are a couple more things that haven't been publicly announced yet afaik)

Galahad: I think when people want updated versions they're thinking along the lines of Amiga Remix or the Immortal series. Creatively that doesn't really interest me as the raw sound of the amiga is what gives the songs their sparkle. (imo)
No, no Mat, i'm talking about YOU revisiting your old stuff.

I appreciate other peoples interpretations of some classic tunes on Amigaremix, some of them are excellent, some of them are so-so, and some of them are so ill thought out that they wouldn't even pass muster as elevator music!

I can see an issue, and its probably a pride thing, and its not just applicable to musicians, it applies to graphics artists and demo coders, where there is a reluctance to revist stuff thats of a certain age, because the musician feels they've gone beyond that, and are at times, embarrased by some of their early work.

I'm not saying that necessarily applies to you, but I know it applies to some, the problem is, everyone else hears your music in a completely different way.

For instance, 'the lost chords' you did way way back! Its a simple tune that has dated somewhat, but it still has a quirky charm about it, I suppose largely because no-one else in the UK was able to compete with you at that time.

Now i'm not saying you should remix the lost chords, but you have an absolutely cracking back catalogue of tunes, and I personally feel it should be YOU revisiting them and updating them more than anyone else.

Put it this way Mat, if you did an album of some of your old Protracker stuff you did way back, i'd be first in line to buy it, and I can't give a bigger reccomendation than that, as i'm quite a stingy bastard!!!

Your music, your choice......... I personally don't care if you do them with Protracker or use a sequencer, either way i'd be a happy man, the missus wouldn't appreciate it playing in the car, but fuck her, she wouldn't understand anyway!
Old 26 August 2012, 02:25   #16
TDK

Quote:

I'll rephrase my statement to Mat, there's a load of your tunes I'd like to hear revamped by you
Old 26 August 2012, 02:46   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I'll rephrase my statement to Mat, there's a load of your tunes I'd like to hear revamped by you
By the power of Greyskull, Mat will get the hint... maybe!
Old 26 August 2012, 11:06   #18
Amiga1992

I tend to agree with Matt, the main example being the revamped Turrican soundtracks. They just don't sound right. In most cases the charm of the tunes is also on the sounds used and if you change them, then it's not nice. Newer doesn't always mean better and I believe the composition alone does not make the tunes what they are, it's also the choice of instruments to make it a whole piece.

A friend of mine went back to his old Amiga MODs and revamped them the right way: found what samples he was sing, re-sampled that in much higher quality and gave them a general production facelift. Tunes sound fantastic and still keep the timbres of the originals.

PS: Hello Mark!
Old 18 November 2012, 05:19   #19
TDK

So, the album is finished.... Chubby Chubby Chip Chip and Melon-Glo-Mania feature from the old days (there's more on the 2nd album, grin).

So if you fancy listening to 8bit noise after your nice Sunday Roast, then pay a visit here, as there's a listening party and launch on 8 Bit Power Hour on the 9th December :-

http://www.facebook.com/events/119598261532502/?fref=ts

and remember, FLIT KILLS MOTHS!!!
Old 18 November 2012, 08:26   #20
Jope
-

Ooh! Hope I'm somewhere where I can stream it when the time comes. :-)