English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.EAB File Server

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 15 November 2012, 22:09   #21
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
That's awesome - thanks Paul, just post back here with any progress - cheers!

If you have or get any others let me know and I don't mind paying for postage and doing conversions here mate.

Last edited by Peter; 15 November 2012 at 22:27.
Peter is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 November 2012, 22:13   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
...and doing conversions here mate.
Hey Peter,

Just out of interest, how exactly are you going about that task?
prowler is offline  
Old 15 November 2012, 22:19   #23
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Paul_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amigaville
Age: 39
Posts: 3,161
I'll be doing the conversion with the following

Samsung VCR
Panasonic DVD-Recorder

via RGB

and I have a Macromaster digital which can 'rip' protected media too Although when I did a test with the AF VHS tape a while back they aren't copy protected as far as I can recall.
Paul_s is offline  
Old 15 November 2012, 22:27   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I'll be doing the conversion with the following

Samsung VCR
Panasonic DVD-Recorder

via RGB
Thanks, Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
and I have a Macromaster digital which can 'rip' protected media too Although when I did a test with the AF VHS tape a while back they aren't copy protected as far as I can recall.
I have a DVD player which defeats Macrovision encoding, but I didn't know that VHS tapes could be similarly protected...
prowler is offline  
Old 15 November 2012, 22:43   #25
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hey Peter,

Just out of interest, how exactly are you going about that task?
It's a slow and painful process! I only have the basics to do this but it's seems to work... I use a Sony VCR connected via RGB Scart to my Sony DVD/Hard Drive/Freeview Recorder - I can record onto the hard drive anything that is playing on the VCR - the scart cable goes out the VCR and into the scart in on the Recorder. It's displayed on the telly if you get all your cables right so you can watch what you are doing. Once I have the video material onto the hard drive I then "dub it" to a standard DVD disk which is playable on all DVD players. To get the DVD into an AVI format I use the PC to convert the DVD files via a piece of software called "Auto Gordian Knot V2.40" - it takes ages (my PC isn't fast either!)

The whole process from start to finish takes absolutely ages but if you take a look at the Clarissa AVI. it comes out ok quality wise.

It's a bit of a headache though as the Scart cables are not set up like this as standard between all the machines so it's get behind the telly time every time I do a video...!

There could be an easier way but I have yet to find it and it's a bit of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it routine" to be honest. Bit of fun though :-)
Peter is offline  
Old 15 November 2012, 23:02   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,203
Thanks for posting your method, mate - especiallly as it's different from the method Paul's using. And it might encourage others who have these tapes to give it a go.

I've never done anything like that, but I suppose I'll have to get something set up when it finally gets impossble to buy a VCR or get one repaired.

I have lots of original videotape recordings which will need duplicating on DVD-R when that happens...
prowler is offline  
Old 15 November 2012, 23:13   #27
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,824
I have a hauppauge Digi TV card with an AV input, so transferring between Video and PC is very easy, in fact transferring between any external source to PC is extremely easy

The AVI recording always needs a little colour boost, as the device isn't that good on colour depth when copying external sources, but that's fairly easy to do if you have the right software
DH is offline  
Old 16 November 2012, 11:31   #28
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

davideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston Lincs
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks, Paul.

I have a DVD player which defeats Macrovision encoding, but I didn't know that VHS tapes could be similarly protected...
Most of the Disney video films have encoding on them to stop them being copied.

But a good quality SVHS video recorder/player will beat it

Dave G
davideo is offline  
Old 16 November 2012, 17:20   #29
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Amiga Format Desktop Video Volume 1 is uploaded - could you please move it to the VIDS folder please prowler.

The video is a bit "Wobbly" in parts like some old tapes go with age - not too bad though.
Peter is offline  
Old 16 November 2012, 20:16   #30
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,824
And moved Peter
DH is offline  
Old 16 November 2012, 22:01   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
Most of the Disney video films have encoding on them to stop them being copied.

But a good quality SVHS video recorder/player will beat it

Dave G
Thanks for the info, Dave. That's something new I've learned today.

And thanks for moving the Amiga Format Desktop Video Volume 1 archive, DH.
prowler is offline  
Old 16 November 2012, 23:10   #32
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Thank you Gentlemen.
Peter is offline  
Old 17 November 2012, 09:44   #33
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
I have uploaded another video - "Amiga Video Collection Vol 2"

Don't know much about this tape as I don't have a box/cover but it was released by Burgess Video Group, who according to the end credits released 25 videos for the Amiga!

This tape is really a software promotional video and gives a very basic look at Workbench together with some other software like AMOS, Hyperbook, Textsmith, ImageFX etc...

Could DH or Prowler move it over to vids for me please - cheers!
Peter is offline  
Old 17 November 2012, 14:50   #34
DH
Global Moderator

DH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
...And thanks for moving the Amiga Format Desktop Video Volume 1 archive, DH.
np Prowler mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I have uploaded another video - "Amiga Video Collection Vol 2"

Don't know much about this tape as I don't have a box/cover but it was released by Burgess Video Group, who according to the end credits released 25 videos for the Amiga!

This tape is really a software promotional video and gives a very basic look at Workbench together with some other software like AMOS, Hyperbook, Textsmith, ImageFX etc...

Could DH or Prowler move it over to vids for me please - cheers!
Sounds interesting Peter Once again your video has now been moved to vids
DH is offline  
Old 28 November 2012, 17:37   #35
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Today I have uploaded a new video... ". Adorage 2.0 AGA Professional Video Effects - Burgess Video Tutorial"

I found this of real interest as I have been playing with software for a while.

Can we get this moved to the correct area please.


Not sure if anyone is actually downloading and watching these videos as there isn't much feedback but I'm still keen to preserve what I find - these tapes wont last forever.

Once again if anyone has any tapes please contact me.

I have a couple of others to upload this week.
Peter is offline  
Old 28 November 2012, 17:56   #36
deicidal
Registered Insane

deicidal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks for posting your method, mate - especiallly as it's different from the method Paul's using. And it might encourage others who have these tapes to give it a go.

I've never done anything like that, but I suppose I'll have to get something set up when it finally gets impossble to buy a VCR or get one repaired.

I have lots of original videotape recordings which will need duplicating on DVD-R when that happens...
I have only ever converted a few vhs's but i did it by hooking up the vhs recorder to my camcorder and using the camcorder software to lift the recording. I dealextreme do usb video capture kits for about 10 no idea if there any good or not.
deicidal is offline  
Old 28 November 2012, 22:24   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Today I have uploaded a new video... ". Adorage 2.0 AGA Professional Video Effects - Burgess Video Tutorial"

I found this of real interest as I have been playing with software for a while.

Can we get this moved to the correct area please.
Done! And thanks for your continuing work on this, Peter.
prowler is offline  
Old 28 November 2012, 22:30   #38
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Thanks Prowler.
Peter is offline  
Old 29 November 2012, 12:38   #39
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 49
Posts: 2,614
Overnight, I have uploaded 3 more videos...

1. The Deluxe Paint IV Video Guide - Saddleback Graphics & EA
2. The Deluxe Paint IV Video Guide (Advanced Techniques) - Saddleback Graphics & EA
3. Imagine 2.0 - The Detail Editor made Simple - Burgess Video Tutorial

The DPaintIV advanced Techniques video picture is a little shaky in parts due the deterioration of the tape but is still fine to watch. The Imagine video sound is a bit muffled so you will need to up the volume a bit.

Can these three be moved to the correct area please.
Peter is offline  
Old 29 November 2012, 13:26   #40
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

davideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston Lincs
Posts: 1,168
@Peter

I think I've got a copy of the Dpaint IV Advanced guide on DVD.

I'll check and if I have I'll get back to you

Dave G
davideo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga and C64 Tapes DyLucke support.Hardware 6 21 April 2013 15:15
Best Video Player... and what format for videos? Retrofan support.Apps 14 15 February 2011 13:59
Attn ASM Coders: NewTek promo video for Amiga Video Toaster Pyromania Coders. General 1 02 June 2007 01:02
Amiga Format video - Upgrading your machine Firthy2002 MarketPlace 0 22 February 2005 13:19
Holy Smokes! An Amiga program that plays back almost every video format known to man Pyromania Amiga scene 9 31 May 2003 03:28

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.23688 seconds with 13 queries