English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 September 2017, 22:30   #1161
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

WipeOut the Demo or full game? Also, on my machine triple buffering is like 5 FPS while double buffering is like 35 (demo version).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 September 2017, 22:34   #1162
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'm using the full version and triple buffering is very fast and smooth.
Old 11 September 2017, 23:29   #1163
spudje

Full version here as well. SetCMemDiv set to 0 had same freeze as a result. Again took a bit longer, but Amiga was off for some time. So this also may be some heat issue of either the voodoo or Sonnet?

Guess I should be trying some other games and I'll try Wipeout again on a CSPPC config.
Old 12 September 2017, 02:01   #1164
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Full version here as well. SetCMemDiv set to 0 had same freeze as a result. Again took a bit longer, but Amiga was off for some time. So this also may be some heat issue of either the voodoo or Sonnet?

Guess I should be trying some other games and I'll try Wipeout again on a CSPPC config.
I tried wipeout on my CSPPC with the P5 lib. Hung on the digital images splash screen on the first try, then black screen right before the menu on the second try, but third try it worked and I played a race and let it keep running the demo of the race for a while. Then tried GLQuake, that worked, and now Amigenerator works too. I have the CD Audio disabled but that's the only difference I see.

I would check to see if AHI is working yet with GLQuake or Quake 2 or something like AmigaAMP.
Old 12 September 2017, 07:12   #1165
spudje

I have Hyperion's Quake 2 lying around somewhere. Never ran it, not so much into FPSs. I'll try that and Winamp. What are the Quake 2 Mods I have to apply according to this page https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...ibrary-version) ?
Old 12 September 2017, 13:32   #1166
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I have Hyperion's Quake 2 lying around somewhere. Never ran it, not so much into FPSs. I'll try that and Winamp. What are the Quake 2 Mods I have to apply according to this page https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...ibrary-version) ?
You don't have to apply the mods, I guess that's worded poorly. Hyperion's version works with some mods from the sources on Aminet, Cowcat's require rewriting in VBCC. That's all, you don't need them.
Old 13 September 2017, 00:08   #1167
spudje

My god, what a piece of sh*t to install is that q2ami thing. Some issue with an error in the install script, player instead of players drawer. Then the pak0.pak apparently didn't unpack. Pffff. Really starting to lose my patience here. It took me again a full evening, just to even get Quake 2 to run.

And, again, also Quake 2 freezed (selected MiniGL). First time only after about 5 to 10 minutes, but then after rebooting it crashed almost immediately after loading into an actual game. I fear it's heat. So I will try a CSPPC install and compare behaviour there.

But why is Gears still running fine every time? So would it still be some memory leak issue and an issue that is even persistent after a warm reboot? Would it be resolved when I do install MMUlibs?
Old 13 September 2017, 01:56   #1168
grelbfarlk

Quote:
My god, what a piece of sh*t to install is that q2ami thing. Some issue with an error in the install script, player instead of players drawer. Then the pak0.pak apparently didn't unpack. Pffff. Really starting to lose my patience here. It took me again a full evening, just to even get Quake 2 to run.

And, again, also Quake 2 freezed (selected MiniGL). First time only after about 5 to 10 minutes, but then after rebooting it crashed almost immediately after loading into an actual game. I fear it's heat. So I will try a CSPPC install and compare behaviour there.

But why is Gears still running fine every time? So would it still be some memory leak issue and an issue that is even persistent after a warm reboot? Would it be resolved when I do install MMUlibs?
In my humble worthless opinion, I don't think it would be so crazy to try the MMULib, it may not resolve your problem but since you've tried everything else.

Are you using a drive on the CSPPC or motherboard IDE?

Something Hedeon mentioned a couple times is that the Sonnet uses the same interrupt as the SCSI controller on the accelerator. With the MMULib sometimes I'll get a random read error that if I hit retry it goes away, sometimes it pops up again, if I open a drive with a lot of icons or do a dir of a directory with a lot of files in it, it will usually go away. Hedeon stroked his beard and pondered and said it might be related to the interrupt.

To get to the point, when I was testing the P5 library recently, I'd never get that, just a lockup with the HDD access light on. This is similar to how the Trexx-II behaved when I gave up on it (I was just testing it from the normal machine it was in.) I could never get the Trexx-II working with its onboard SCSI but it worked fine if I used a drive on the motherboard IDE. Maybe completely unrelated issues.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 13 September 2017 at 02:08.
Old 13 September 2017, 07:42   #1169
spudje

I use a CF on the internal IDE. BTW I also have a compatible radeon card. I thought it didn't support Warp3D, but that's only in AOS 4.x. So it should run fine in AOS 3.9 with Warp3d correct?

Update: crap seems like the Radeon isn't supported by Warp3D in AOS3.9 after all

So I will try following things (not in order):
- Try wipeout & quake 2 in AOS3.9 setup with CSPPC so I can maybe exclude the sonnet being the cause of my issues if it behaves identical.
- Try the Radeon card in my AOS 3.9 Sonnet setup to further confirm Sonnet is fine and potentially voodoo is cause of misery.

Last edited by spudje; 13 September 2017 at 08:53.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:17   #1170
trixster
Guru Meditating

Try the PowerPC.library on aminet, if you haven't already.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:43   #1171
spudje

I have, with Wipeout only, same behaviour
Old 13 September 2017, 09:52   #1172
trixster
Guru Meditating

@thread Is there any reason to update from PCI.library v11 to v12 or beta v13?
Old 13 September 2017, 10:01   #1173
spudje

You're still running v11? I'm running v12, maybe I should try with v11 again
Old 13 September 2017, 12:31   #1174
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

No, Radeon does not have Warp3D support in 3.x. It has in 4.x.

PCI v12 adds nocache to A1200 mediator PCI space (you cannot use mmu.library when mmu=yes with a1200 mediator, so now they added this to be able to set pci memory to cache inhibited.

PCI v13 adds the possibility to put PCI memory including mmu=yes at other addresses than the current default for A1200 mediator (default now is $80000000). Programs like voxelspace and cyberpi fail when the are placed in address range >$80000000.
Old 13 September 2017, 16:47   #1175
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Maybe completely unrelated issues.
On the other hand, my Amiga does not have IDE. I'm not sure it has the INT2 mod. It's difficult to test it with the SCSI on the CSMK2 anyway as the module does not fit inside the A3000 (or A3000T...) without cutting.

Also, my Amiga 3000 is rock steady (it's clocked at 55MHz, I reduced it from 80MHz, just to be able to use the SCSI module..go figure). So it's difficult to pinpoint why you guys are having the problems you are having.

You can always zip up your SYS: and send it to me for testing on compatibility.

If you are in the neighbourhood, I can be persuaded with beer and food to fix it on the spot :-P

Last edited by Hedeon; 13 September 2017 at 16:54.
Old 13 September 2017, 21:49   #1176
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Snip ...After it is installed go into AHI Prefs, set your Music and Device 0 to Paula 8-bit DMA... Snip
Is this right: Paula 8-bit DMA? If I choose a DMA option, I get crashes in Quake 2. Should this say "Paula 8-bit Stereo" or something instead because that works flawlessly for me? Might relate to spudje's problem??
Old 13 September 2017, 22:15   #1177
spudje

I also get crashes without using DMA in Quake 2 & Wipeout

And... I get similar behaviour/crashes on a CSPPC config (with identical P96 screen modes). So the Sonnet is most likely not to blame. Maybe the voodoo, heat, some hardware issue? 2D all seems fine, Gears ran for almost an hour without issues, but real games kill the machine.

Hopefully I can acquire another voodoo card to check.

In the CSPPC setup I also get recoverable errors when starting Wipeout. Sometimes it crashes & reboots, sometimes it crashes to desktop with an error:
AHI 8bit gives me looping sound
AHI DMA gives me no sound

ahi.device
Program failed (error #8000000B)
Wait for disk activity to finish

With Sonnet I don't get these things (recoverable errors and ahi errors), and audio worked with AHI DMA, there it simply freezes after some time.

Could I lower the voodoo memory or maybe it is the ENVARCs on the PPC setup, there (most likely, haven't checked) not identical to the ENVARCs in my Sonnet setup.

Last edited by spudje; 13 September 2017 at 22:29.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:20   #1178
Wrangler

Hmm, doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, spudje. Heat would affect gears too and a memory fault wouldn't affect both the Sonnet and the CSPPC. This has probably been asked a million times before but you do have the latest drivers for Voodoo and Picasso 96?
Old 13 September 2017, 22:30   #1179
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I also get crashes without using DMA in Quake 2 & Wipeout

And... I get similar behaviour/crashes on a CSPPC config (with identical P96 screen modes). So the Sonnet is most likely not to blame. Maybe the voodoo, heat, some hardware issue? 2D all seems fine, Gears ran for almost an hour without issues, but real games kill the machine.

Hopefully I can acquire another voodoo card to check.

In the CSPPC setup I also get recoverable errors when starting Wipeout (in no AHI and AHI non DMA) modes.
With AHI DMA I don't get these, but then the doesn't have audio and crashes to desktop with an error:

ahi.device
Program failed (error #8000000B)
Wait for disk activity to finish

With Sonnet I don't get these things (recoverable errors and ahi errors), it simply freezes after some time.

Could I lower the voodoo memory or maybe it is the ENVARCs on the PPC setup, there (most likely, haven't checked) not identical to the ENVARCs in my Sonnet setup.
Another possibility is that AHI is buggered, did you test it with Amplifier or AmigaAMP? And did you use the 020 version of the AHI files? I only ask that since that's all I've ever used.

Something else you can check is in Devs:AHI/ and the other one, Devs:Audiomodes make sure you only have devices that are actually in your computer in there. Which if you don't have a separate soundcard should be only be Paula.

Something else to try is recreating your ahi.prefs file, I have to do this on a fresh ClassicWB build, rename your ahi.prefs in ENVARC:sys/ahi.prefs and run Addaudiomodes Refresh, then open AHI.prefs, set your modes and hit save, you should have a fresh ahi.prefs in envarc:sys/ahi.prefs.

Yes Paula 8-bit DMA should be the one, it should work with regular 8-bit mode but it'll be a bit slower in Quake.

Yes you can lower the Voodoomem on your Sonnet, no reason they should be different necessarily. 13 should be fine, it's what I use.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 13 September 2017 at 22:47.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:36   #1180
trixster
Guru Meditating

Paula 8-bit DMA ok here
AdSense AdSense