English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 September 2017, 21:04   #121
vulture

Zool is a very weird case to crack as to why it won't start correctly, but my chaos engine problem was solved by renaming all related files to delete the comma character and by editing the relevant .uae files and removing the commas from there as well. And there's really not much ransom1212 can do about Zool. Everything seems correct and works for him, so, there's no way to track the bug down. It could also be just an amiberry problem, in that case, only Midwan could help with that. I will try to find what makes it break though, but so far, I've been unsuccessful.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 September 2017, 03:42   #122
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Good work..

so why does pointing to kick3.1 rom in the Zool Aga games and restarting the game work with no corruption then?
Try this.
1. Once you have the problematic game working press F12 and Save the config in Amiberry..
2. Then FTP into your Pie and go to this folder /opt/retropie/configs/amiga/amiberry/conf your saved config should be in here. Move the config out of there and temporarily place it in your C Drive. Now FTP the same file back into this folder /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/amiga (overwrite old file "YES")
3. Restart Emulation Station

Now try the game and see if it works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
That`s odd.. was about to post that the configs made no different.. mine still going to kickstart screen. Just checked and all I have is the demo .hdf ??
Demo.hdf? There is no version of Zool with a Demo in my Ultimate Amiga set of games? You should have 14 entries for all Zool games which show up in Emulation Station, for example..

Zool - Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension (CD32).uae
Zool (OCS) (v1.1) [HDF].uae
Zool (OCS) (v1.3) [HDF].uae
Zool (OCS) (v1.4) [HDF].uae
Zool (v1.2) (CD32) [HDF].uae
Zool (v2.0) (AGA) [HDF].uae
Zool [AGA].uae
Zool [CD32].uae
Zool 2 (AGA) [HDF].uae
Zool 2 (CD32).uae
Zool 2 (ECS) [HDF].uae
Zool 2 [AGA].uae
Zool 2.uae
Zool.uae

Unless you are talking about Chaos Engine games where there are 2 demo's for example..

Chaos Engine (Demo) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine (Demo).uae

Chaos Engine [AGA].uae
Chaos Engine [CD32].uae
Chaos Engine 2 [AGA].uae
Chaos Engine 2 The (AGA) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine 2 The (ECS) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine 2.uae
Chaos Engine The (AGA) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine The (AGA) + Trainer [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine The (CD32) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine The (ECS) [HDF].uae
Chaos Engine, The (CD32).uae
Chaos Engine, The [Spectacular Voyage] (CD32).uae
Chaos Engine.uae

Replace all the UAE files of Chaos Engine & Zool that were posted previously into /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/amiga folder. If this fails, I would load each game and adjust each config until the game boots for you. Then save each config manually, grab the Adjusted config files from /opt/retropie/configs/amiga/amiberry/conf & apply them back into /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/amiga (overwrite old file "YES") & Restart Emulation Station Like I said above..

Hope it all makes sense.

I re test a few HDF's and they work today..
Old 10 September 2017, 03:43   #123
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Zool is a very weird case to crack as to why it won't start correctly, but my chaos engine problem was solved by renaming all related files to delete the comma character and by editing the relevant .uae files and removing the commas from there as well. And there's really not much ransom1212 can do about Zool. Everything seems correct and works for him, so, there's no way to track the bug down. It could also be just an amiberry problem, in that case, only Midwan could help with that. I will try to find what makes it break though, but so far, I've been unsuccessful.
Try this.
1. Once you have the problematic game working press F12 and Save the config in Amiberry..
2. Then FTP into your Pie and go to this folder /opt/retropie/configs/amiga/amiberry/conf your saved config should be in here. Move the config out of there and temporarily place it in your C Drive. Now FTP the same file back into this folder /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/amiga (overwrite old file "YES")
3. Restart Emulation Station or Shutdown Emulation Station and boot up again..

Now try the game and see if it works?

There may be issues with the WHDLoad Configs..? I have noticed at times i have changed a config, then on any other given day the saved changes did not apply.. Maybe when only running these whdload games the configs default to a standard universal config or some sort. Like I've said the WHDLoad games & Configs were default on the image before I started this project. THe ADF's HDF's seem to work off the config properly though.

Last edited by ransom1122; 10 September 2017 at 05:06.
Old 10 September 2017, 06:56   #124
darkuni

Hey ransom ....

What sort of release cycle for the "official" updates are you thinking? If it isn't going to be too long, I'll just wait and not apply all these little ones

Oh, and Alfred Chicken (CD32) (HDF) doesn't play music. I don't know how HDFs of CD32 games make sense - or how they are constructed - but maybe there is a switch in there somewhere regarding CDDA? I'm assuming that's how the CD32 music works (I'm too lazy to go get my Alfred Chicken CD to test it).

Thanks!
Old 10 September 2017, 07:12   #125
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkuni View Post
Hey ransom ....

What sort of release cycle for the "official" updates are you thinking? If it isn't going to be too long, I'll just wait and not apply all these little ones
2-4 Weeks, I am hoping for Update Pack #2. Getting through all the ADF's at the moment currently on the Letter "S-Z" ADF Games Adding / Configuring / Testing ...

Quote:
Oh, and Alfred Chicken (CD32) (HDF) doesn't play music. I don't know how HDFs of CD32 games make sense - or how they are constructed - but maybe there is a switch in there somewhere regarding CDDA? I'm assuming that's how the CD32 music works (I'm too lazy to go get my Alfred Chicken CD to test it).
The official CD32 games with CDDA Audio are labeled (CD32) This version works with cd audio. All the rest are either WHDLoad or HDF versions, which entail CD32 versions.. for example they have been converted to HDF from these archives

/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/A/AlfredChicken_v1.01_CD32.lha
/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/A/AlfredChicken_v1.0_0422.lha

Here are all the Alfred Chickens I have.. The (CD32) version is the only one with cd audio.

Alfred Chicken (AGA) [HDF].uae --> HDF AGA Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken (CD32) [HDF].uae --> HDF CD32 Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken (CD32).uae --> CD32 Version
Alfred Chicken [AGA].uae --> AGA WHDLoad Version
Alfred Chicken [CD32].uae --> CD32 WHDLoad Version
Alfred Chicken [HDF].uae --> HDF Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken.uae --> WHDLoad version

Last edited by ransom1122; 10 September 2017 at 07:17.
Old 10 September 2017, 18:20   #126
vulture

@ransom1212

I tried it, it doesn't fix it. But! I found out that after starting the game, even during the whdload splash screen (before the actual game is loaded), a simple reset, without pointing to any rom, fixes the gfx! Such a super strange bug....

Last edited by vulture; 10 September 2017 at 18:42.
Old 10 September 2017, 19:02   #127
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Confirmed with AGA versions of Zool !!
Old 10 September 2017, 19:37   #128
vulture

So strange.... in theory, if a script could be written to just do a single reset before loading the game, it'd fix it, but really, that would just be a workaround and kinda hacky, as the real culprit wouldn't be exposed.

Last edited by vulture; 10 September 2017 at 20:39.
Old 10 September 2017, 21:45   #129
ransom1122

That's great at least we have a little workaround fix for it in the meantime.
I suggest raising the bug with midwan on github.
https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues
Old 10 September 2017, 23:16   #130
vulture

I will. I'll see if I can find anything permanent and if I fail, I'll raise a bug. Thx!
Old 11 September 2017, 05:07   #131
IvanEBC

I know you had an early test image i was testing, i have sinced ramped that up.

Since my A4000 uses a 128gb card and everything is nicely configured within igame, all screenshots complete etc, this accounts for WHD and NONWHD games and demos, i now just use a blank pi image and ftp the whole Amiga across from a backup on the PC.

I consider this a backup system if my real Amiga ever dies (don't die baby!)

Of course there's Amikit, but i found it to be not as compatible as a pi, but pi isn't quite as fast as my PC, such a rich tapestry of options.
Old 11 September 2017, 05:16   #132
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I know you had an early test image i was testing, i have sinced ramped that up.

Since my A4000 uses a 128gb card and everything is nicely configured within igame, all screenshots complete etc, this accounts for WHD and NONWHD games and demos, i now just use a blank pi image and ftp the whole Amiga across from a backup on the PC.

I consider this a backup system if my real Amiga ever dies (don't die baby!)

Of course there's Amikit, but i found it to be not as compatible as a pi, but pi isn't quite as fast as my PC, such a rich tapestry of options.
Great work. I dont use your image for my pie, i use the ultimate aniga package created by Horace and dev Midwan (Amiberry) ultimategamer.uk .

Im sure your image though would work better on pc though as its a 4000 base image.

Last edited by ransom1122; 11 September 2017 at 05:57.
Old 11 September 2017, 06:34   #133
darkuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
2-4 Weeks, I am hoping for Update Pack #2. Getting through all the ADF's at the moment currently on the Letter "S-Z" ADF Games Adding / Configuring / Testing ...

The official CD32 games with CDDA Audio are labeled (CD32) This version works with cd audio. All the rest are either WHDLoad or HDF versions, which entail CD32 versions.. for example they have been converted to HDF from these archives

/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/A/AlfredChicken_v1.01_CD32.lha
/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/A/AlfredChicken_v1.0_0422.lha

Here are all the Alfred Chickens I have.. The (CD32) version is the only one with cd audio.

Alfred Chicken (AGA) [HDF].uae --> HDF AGA Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken (CD32) [HDF].uae --> HDF CD32 Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken (CD32).uae --> CD32 Version
Alfred Chicken [AGA].uae --> AGA WHDLoad Version
Alfred Chicken [CD32].uae --> CD32 WHDLoad Version
Alfred Chicken [HDF].uae --> HDF Version from WHDLoad
Alfred Chicken.uae --> WHDLoad version
Got it ... so the HDF CD32 games are just file rips from the CDs, sans the CDDA tracks. I won't report others

I'd be happy to help seed when the next update comes. Just PM me details.
Old 11 September 2017, 07:51   #134
ransom1122

Quote:
Got it ... so the HDF CD32 games are just file rips from the CDs, sans the CDDA tracks. I won't report others

I'd be happy to help seed when the next update comes. Just PM me details.

Correct. Any updates will be posted here 1st. Keep an eye out for it.
Old 11 September 2017, 16:16   #135
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Currently removing all the foreign versions and games I`ll never ever play
Old 13 September 2017, 02:53   #136
darkuni

Hey ransom ...

What's the controller of choice on this thing? I figure it isn't the Xbox 360 controller

I think I saw that playstation controller is preferred? Is the trackpad used as a mouse on that controller? I'd LOVE to simulate a mouse on the 360 controller so I don't have to have a keyboard or mouse to exit a game.

Thoughts?
Old 13 September 2017, 04:05   #137
ransom1122

Quote:
Hey ransom ...

What's the controller of choice on this thing? I figure it isn't the Xbox 360 controller

I think I saw that playstation controller is preferred? Is the trackpad used as a mouse on that controller? I'd LOVE to simulate a mouse on the 360 controller so I don't have to have a keyboard or mouse to exit a game.

Thoughts?
Ps3 controller. But I don't see why a 360 controller wouldn't work. Unfortunately mouse control is not supported by using the controller so you will have to use a usb mouse if you play any games that require a mouseclick.

With a ps3 controller you can press the PS (home) to exit the emulator or Start button to back out to Amiberry GUI. So no mouse required to quit or exit the emulator. You can config the 360 controller to quit by editing each games config and change the quitkey string... But I am not sure what string is used for the xbox360 (home) button to quit.

RetroX (Amiga Emulator) for Android supports mouse control with joystick but thats a different story altogether from this project.

Last edited by ransom1122; 13 September 2017 at 05:12.
Old 13 September 2017, 06:37   #138
darkuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Ps3 controller. But I don't see why a 360 controller wouldn't work. Unfortunately mouse control is not supported by using the controller so you will have to use a usb mouse if you play any games that require a mouseclick.

With a ps3 controller you can press the PS (home) to exit the emulator or Start button to back out to Amiberry GUI. So no mouse required to quit or exit the emulator. You can config the 360 controller to quit by editing each games config and change the quitkey string... But I am not sure what string is used for the xbox360 (home) button to quit.
So any game that has a mouse click intro or trainer, etc. you have to have a mouse for, then?

Shocked there isn't some joytomouse type TSR we could run to do it on a Pi.

Anyone happen to know the home button value for Xbox 360 before I go look it up?
Old 13 September 2017, 06:57   #139
ransom1122

Quote:
So any game that has a mouse click intro or trainer, etc. you have to have a mouse for, then?
or until Amiberry gets updated.

Quote:
Shocked there isn't some joytomouse type TSR we could run to do it on a Pi.

Anyone happen to know the home button value for Xbox 360 before I go look it up?
Raise the Issue here

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues

You need to work out what your values are for your x360 controller..

button_for_menu=0
button_for_quit=16

This text can be found in each of the games config files.

Also i think you can run jtest from the linux command prompt to figure out what each buttons values are? But I may be wrong there?

Last edited by ransom1122; 13 September 2017 at 07:21.
Old 13 September 2017, 20:00   #140
ZoneCoach

Firstly thank you to you Ransom specifically and all the others generally that contribute here.

Feedback on games testing:
Defender Of The Crown.uae - mouse doesnt work even when USB mouse plugged in.
Defender Of The Crown [HDF].uae mouse doesnt work even when USB mouse plugged in.
Final Fight.uae - Screen size too big - text goes above the screen
Football Manager 2.uae - stuck on selecting team screen. Down/Up doesn't work regardless of config
Xenon 2 (2 Disk) [HDF].uae - after initial loading game screen error on workbench "exception "illegal instruction" ($10) at $64260 occured
AdSense AdSense