English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 September 2017, 20:40   #1
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,555
MegaBall v4.0

Heya guys,

In HOL this game is wrongly named "Megaball AGA 4.0".

It should really be "MegaBall v4.0"...

You've correctly mentioned that the game runs on AGA / ECS / OCS

The first screen you see regardless of chipset is:



When running on non AGA you see this screen:


Last edited by DamienD; 09 September 2017 at 20:46.
DamienD is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 September 2017, 21:31   #2
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Yes V4.0 there are also versions v.3.3 and v.3.8, the game can be executed AGA and No-AGA (colors change).

1996 Michael P. Welch he did the sequel for PC titled DX-Ball, then again DX-Ball 2 (1998) and Rival Ball (2001).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 September 2017 at 02:26.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 09 September 2017, 22:34   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,555
Cheers for the information my friend

...so really, the HOL page should be updated to just "MegaBall" and in the notes these versions added:
  • v3.3
  • v3.8
  • v4.0
DamienD is offline  
Old 09 September 2017, 23:43   #4
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Damiano there are also:
  • v2.0
  • v3.0
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 06:33   #5
Matt_H
Registered User
Matt_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 125
There was never a 3.3 or 3.8. If those are circulating, they're either mislabeled, leaked betas, or created by hackers. After 3.0 (which was semi-officially called Megaball AGA even though a non-AGA mode was available), the next version was 4.0.

2.1 and 2.0 were the two preceding major releases. The history doc mentions some 1.x versions as well.
Matt_H is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 11:47   #6
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
There was never a 3.3 or 3.8. If those are circulating, they're either mislabeled, leaked betas, or created by hackers. After 3.0 (which was semi-officially called Megaball AGA even though a non-AGA mode was available), the next version was 4.0.

2.1 and 2.0 were the two preceding major releases. The history doc mentions some 1.x versions as well.
No, see screenshot (The history Megaballv3.8.guide)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 November 2017 at 22:54.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 21:25   #7
Matt_H
Registered User
Matt_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No, see screenshot (The history Megaballv3.8.guide)
That line is absent from the history in the documentation included with 4.0. It's full of spelling and grammar errors and doesn't sound like the authors' style of language. I'm 99% certain it was added by a hacker/pirate for the version he was distributing.
Matt_H is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 21:49   #8
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Yes it can be, however it is something to be preserved for history
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 22:02   #9
Matt_H
Registered User
Matt_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes it can be, however it is something to be preserved for history
That's fair. It should just be noted that it is a hacked/pirated/unofficial version.
Matt_H is offline  
Old 10 September 2017, 22:24   #10
James
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beckenham/England
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You've correctly mentioned that the game runs on AGA / ECS / OCS
It also works on RTG, so I can play it in "AGA mode" on my A1500...
James is offline  
Old 11 September 2017, 01:54   #11
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It also works on RTG, so I can play it in "AGA mode" on my A1500...
It works well RTG preferably performed by dedicated fil "MegaBall4.Gfx.AGA".

On Aminet of Megaball4 there is a Patch that resolves issues with the cd.device. On some systems using IDEFix and/or the atapi.device will prevent Megaball4 from running correctly. It usually fails just after the ingame options. This patch simply prevents the cd.device from being loaded.

MegaBall4-Fix
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 13 September 2017, 17:14   #12
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,555
Thanks to whichever HOL team member updated the MegaBall v4.0 page
DamienD is offline  
Old 13 September 2017, 17:39   #13
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
1996 Michael P. Welch he did the sequel for PC titled DX-Ball, then again DX-Ball 2 (1998) and Rival Ball (2001).
None of those are "sequels", they are games inspired on Megaball. The screenshot of DX-Ball you posted yourself clearly describes it as such too.

Should NOT be included in HOL info.
Akira is offline  
Old 13 September 2017, 18:44   #14
chip
Registered User
chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 43
Posts: 101
About the inclusion in HOL, what kind of games are taken in consideration ..... ALL kind ?

I mean, a little game that i can find, for example, in an Assassins game disk compilation, would be considered or refused ?
chip is offline  
Old 13 September 2017, 19:22   #15
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italia)
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
None of those are "sequels", they are games inspired on Megaball. The screenshot of DX-Ball you posted yourself clearly describes it as such too.

Should NOT be included in HOL info.


Akira you are little informed DX-Ball it's a Sequel in all respects, DX-Ball was created on AMiGA, the graphics were made Brilliance 2, also full MOD Music Sound Track was created on AMiGA, HERE and HERE all info.

Quote review

The Amiga computer's tribute to the famed Scorched Earth artillery game is finally coming to the PC

After all these years, Blitwise is still going strong! Its founder and president, Michael P. Welch, is the game developer who created Scorched Tanks for the Amiga, and later DX-Ball and Super DX-Ball for the PC and Mac. In May 2000, at Mike's request, I translated some old 68k assembler code from MegaBall's board editor, just the board-loading function by itself, into the slightly-more-modern C programming language
.


Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 September 2017 at 19:57.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 18 September 2017, 23:07   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
In HOL this game is wrongly named "Megaball AGA 4.0".

It should really be "MegaBall v4.0"...
Thanks for the heads-up Damien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...so really, the HOL page should be updated to just "MegaBall" and in the notes these versions added:
  • v3.3
  • v3.8
  • v4.0
Not quite. MegaBall V4.0 was commercial, while all previous releases were shareware/PD. MegaBall AGA v3.0 was distinct from MegaBall V1.x/V2.x because it introduced AGA support (along with a name change on top of the OCS/ECS version) and a bunch of other cool features.

I'm tossing up atm whether to add another HOL entry to cover MegaBall V1.x/V2.x (first released as PD before going shareware). Will probably have to meditate some more on that one......

Anyway, for those interested, here's the new HOL entry for MegaBall AGA v3.0. Enjoy!

http://hol.abime.net/6260

Last edited by DrBong; 18 September 2017 at 23:31. Reason: Fixed quote!
DrBong is offline  
Old 19 September 2017, 00:14   #17
Matt_H
Registered User
Matt_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 125
@ DrBong

Thanks for the update! Still a few issues/comments on the MB 3.0 page:
-3.1 may also be a fake/hacked version (unsure). It is not referenced in the history section of 4.0's documentation. I have a legit registered version of 3.0, which includes the board editor and a separate disk of music.
-The unregistered version of 3.0 is on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/MegaBallAGA .
-Number of max players = 2.
-Screenshot #1 is not the ECS title screen. The font is incorrect and details in the upper right of the screen are missing. It should also say "non-AGA" next to the logo in dark red text. It may be from a hacked version.
-Screenshots #2 and #7 have the same erroneous font.
-Screenshots #6, #8, and #9 are running on systems that are missing MegaBall.font (in which case it falls back to topaz/8).
-Screenshots #3, #11, and #12 are not actually screenshots. They are layouts of the game's graphics that were included in the 4.0 source code release. They may be better suited for the Gamemap or Miscshot tabs under the 4.0 entry (several of the bricks in those graphics were only introduced in 4.0).
Matt_H is offline  
Old 19 September 2017, 22:27   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Thanks for the update! Still a few issues/comments on the MB 3.0 page:
It's still very much a WIP atm and needs a lot more elbow grease (and fact checking!). Don't worry, I'll get to it along with the MegaBall 4 update when I'm not so pressed for time.

Quote:
-3.1 may also be a fake/hacked version (unsure). It is not referenced in the history section of 4.0's documentation. I have a legit registered version of 3.0, which includes the board editor and a separate disk of music.
Nah, V3.1 looks to be legit. I came across a website where the guy had regged it and he stated that the only difference from V3.0 besides the titlescreen was the inclusion of a 2nd disk in the form of the music disk (which previously had to be regged separately). I'll have to make that clearer in the HOL notes. Incidentally, the V3.0 docs makes it pretty clear that the music disk wasn't part of the game and had to be registered separately for $5 (click "More boards, anyone?" ---> "Yes, I played it...." buttons in the AmigaGuide docs).

Quote:
-The unregistered version of 3.0 is on Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/MegaBallAGA.
Yep, I know. Will add that along with links to the regged versions of V3.x, given that the Mackey brothers made all versions of MegaBall open source/freeware a few years ago.

Quote:
-Number of max players = 2.
-Screenshot #1 is not the ECS title screen. The font is incorrect and details in the upper right of the screen are missing. It should also say "non-AGA" next to the logo in dark red text. It may be from a hacked version.
Thanks! Yeh, I spotted those errors too and need to fix them. The correct OCS/ECS titlescreen is actually sitting in the same folder as the hacked one on my HD. Need to use separate folders for the different versions of MegaBall methinks.

Quote:
-Screenshots #2 and #7 have the same erroneous font.
-Screenshots #6, #8, and #9 are running on systems that are missing MegaBall.font (in which case it falls back to topaz/8).
I don't think the font issue is a big deal as it's fairly clear from the docs that the developers were happy for people to customise stuff like music, file requesters, fonts etc. in MegaBall to enhance their gaming experience. The alternate fonts shown in the screenshots aren't outrageously different. Besides, I can't be arsed re-ripping those screens at this point in time (sorry)! TBH I really need to make more screenshots and more varied ones (and have a good look at the board editor!), but I'm a bit time-poor atm.

Quote:
-Screenshots #3, #11, and #12 are not actually screenshots. They are layouts of the game's graphics that were included in the 4.0 source code release. They may be better suited for the Gamemap or Miscshot tabs under the 4.0 entry (several of the bricks in those graphics were only introduced in 4.0).
Yeh, I right and royally screwed that up and upped the gfx layouts for the wrong version of MegaBall. Yep, I snaffled them from the V4.0 source code archive too. Screenshot #3 would've made a nice AGA loading screen (or alternate titlescreen) IMHO, and I just assumed that it was used in V4.0 since it was in the source code archive. The irony is that I managed to nab an original copy of MegaBall 4 for not much off Ebay a few weeks ago, but I've only had time to give it a quick test boot and haven't actually investigated the game itself yet.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback! Keep an eye out for more HOL updates of MegaBall in the weeks/months to come.....

Last edited by DrBong; 19 September 2017 at 23:21. Reason: Added more info.
DrBong is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MegaBall Music? volvo_0ne request.Modules 3 02 March 2017 00:25
Megaball Gordon Games images which need to be WHDified 19 14 January 2015 09:41
Amiga Megaball for iPhone xArtx Amiga scene 11 31 December 2013 07:53
Megaball MIA HymnsomniaK HOL contributions 4 17 June 2012 06:02
Megaball (pre-4.0) Haxxy request.Old Rare Games 1 18 June 2009 19:00

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.42409 seconds with 14 queries