English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 December 2003, 02:40   #1
Bobic

Back to the Roots - X-mas update with games from Team 17!

Hello,

is it a hallucination? Are you dreaming? NO, you don't! We really present you three games from the legendary Amiga company TEAM 17! Full Contact, Project-X and Superfrog are ready for download as various versions. Read more about Team 17, their plans and other new games over at www.back2roots.org!

Visual brilliance awaits you in our demo areas. On the Amiga side, Magia (TBL), Fake Elektronic Lightshow (Ephidrena) and tons of other cool releases will melt down your Amiga or emulator, because of their stunning effects. The same applies for the new demos from Farbrausch, which are Windows only productions. When you enter our music rooms, music master Mike Clarke let you listen to some unreleased material!

There's so much more to listen, to watch and to download. Enjoy your visit!

Respects from yours

Back to the Roots Team
http://www.back2roots.org
info@back2roots.org
Old 28 December 2003, 06:29   #2
Pyromania

Cool, I hope my donations helped.

Old 28 December 2003, 11:35   #3
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Nice Xmas surprise Bobic, your site remains one of the top Amiga related sites.
Old 28 December 2003, 16:22   #4
Critter

T17 rocks!

nice update
Old 28 December 2003, 19:47   #5
jmmijo

Good news bobic, thanks
Old 28 December 2003, 22:31   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
HOL vs EAGER

Though I get a 403 when visiting EAGER.
Works for me, using my bookmarked URL.

Though I get a strange feeling that I've already read lots of these infos, and sometimes the same information gaps and MISTAKES too, originally somewhere.

Last edited by andreas; 28 December 2003 at 22:37.
Old 28 December 2003, 23:50   #7
Ash
Zone Friend

Good news
Old 29 December 2003, 01:33   #8
Amiga1992

Bonic, I want to ask you: what is the point in a project like EAGER? Why can't you join the HOL team?

Wasn;t an idea of collective floating around, which I think everyone agreed on? Wouldn't creating lots of parallel projects go away from this idea?

Just asking, because I don't see the point of people going out and trying to do their own thing just because, when the scene would benefit a lot more by having one consistent project that's heavily supported by many. bttr would benefit from HOL IMO much better than from EAGER.

This is not a "commerce" where monopolization is to fear.
Old 29 December 2003, 08:09   #9
Bobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
HOL vs EAGER

Though I get a 403 when visiting EAGER.

Yeah, we know about that problem (and some other problems which still remain, e.g. missing files). We're working hard on fixing that. Hippie2000 has changed so much in his engine code, so there's still a lot to do for sorting all problems out. And as usual - real life always catch us and stop us from doing as much on BTTR as we want to do...
Old 29 December 2003, 08:11   #10
Bobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
Cool, I hope my donations helped.

Sure they do! Many thanks to you and all other donators! It's really impressive how nice people can be. That's true X-mas spirit :-).
Old 29 December 2003, 08:33   #11
Bobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Bonic, I want to ask you: what is the point in a project like EAGER? Why can't you join the HOL team?

Wasn;t an idea of collective floating around, which I think everyone agreed on? Wouldn't creating lots of parallel projects go away from this idea?

Just asking, because I don't see the point of people going out and trying to do their own thing just because, when the scene would benefit a lot more by having one consistent project that's heavily supported by many. bttr would benefit from HOL IMO much better than from EAGER.

This is not a "commerce" where monopolization is to fear.

I'll inform Hippie2000 about this posting. I wasn't involved in the hosting process of EAGER. BTTR is so big meanwhile. Therefore we have team members who maintain only special sections or processes and don't do anything else on BTTR. I personally don't have anything to do with EAGER. I've heard about that site for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Personally I can say, that I don't have enough time to either help updating HOL or EAGER. I have enough to do in maintaining the games, demos, music and picture archives and databases of BTTR and if you look at the amount of entries, you can surely understand that.

Of course it's possible to exchange information included in our databases with other projects, such as HOL. But you have to talk to Hippie2000 about that. He's our coder, he knows all about technical things and what could be possible. I can't help in such things.
Old 30 December 2003, 13:23   #12
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobic
Of course it's possible to exchange information included in our databases with other projects, such as HOL. But you have to talk to Hippie2000 about that. He's our coder, he knows all about technical things and what could be possible. I can't help in such things.
Agreed with Akira, it seems a bit pointless to have 2 projects with almost the same aims when HOL is already completely established.

Not quite sure how you have never noticed HOL before though...
Old 30 December 2003, 17:33   #13
Bobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex

That's a misunderstanding: I said, I haven't heard from EAGER before ;-).
Old 30 December 2003, 17:55   #14
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
That's a misunderstanding: I said, I haven't heard from EAGER before ;-).
Yeah, I just looked back through and you didn't say what I thought you said..... I'm imagining things again...
Old 30 December 2003, 21:43   #15
Amiga1992

Would like to hear it from Hippie then... I would rather have this guy who runs EAGER helping at the HOL than trying to reinvent the wheel. And I would rather see the most accurate data available at bttr, and this data would only come from the HOL, since I know how the HOL team strives for data perfection.
Old 03 January 2004, 01:18   #16
MethodGit

Only just found out about this update several minutes ago....... how could it have slipped past my defences??!!

But yeah, top update there BTTR mates.... the blessing of Team 17 took me by surprise a bit considering the Underdogs team had to remove all downloads of the PC titles from their site because the company apparently asked them to, for no specific given reason.

Also, I was wondering whether the permission to distribute commercial disk images extends to CAPS as well? You could make the IPFs available from the site as well as ADFs if you wanted to!
Old 04 January 2004, 09:04   #17
Bobic

@Akira: I talked to Hippie2000. As he don't post in any forums where he have to register (free speech for everyone ;-) ), he won't write anything here. He said, if you want to discuss this in the public, you should write down your question again at the official UAE discussion board (http://uae.back2roots.org). No registration is needed there and he's there every day.

Just one additional note from me: You should know, that Hippie2000 is working very close together with RCK. They are in touch regularly.

@MethodGit: Some time ago there has already been a discussion about licenses for CAPS games at the official UAE discussion board. Even members from CAPS have been involved. Nothing more to say.
Old 04 January 2004, 13:27   #18
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I asked once, and was told "because you can't". Can't remember by who though...
Old 04 January 2004, 13:30   #19
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Agreed with Akira, it seems a bit pointless to have 2 projects with almost the same aims when HOL is already completely established.

In terms of preservation I'd agree with this, but what characterised the amiga emulation scene back in the late 90's (for me at least) was the massive diversity of amiga emulation sites available. I think having it all in one place kind of let off a 'classicgaming' vibe.
Old 04 January 2004, 20:17   #20
fiath

Quote:
@MethodGit: Some time ago there has already been a discussion about licenses for CAPS games at the official UAE discussion board. Even members from CAPS have been involved. Nothing more to say.
Just one. Me.

I don't remember discussing licenses for CAPS-preserved games...

But... it doesn't matter. This is a subject best left well alone for the sanity of all involved.