English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 October 2002, 07:15   #61
Drake1009

Heh. If the programmer could put a message in there why not just make a version for himself without adding the protection?
Old 03 October 2002, 02:55   #62
Mangar
Got the fever back

I would imagine that the coder would want to see what the cracker did to break it.
Old 03 October 2002, 07:19   #63
Drake1009

Would be fun if all the cracker needed to do was the equivilant of "cracked = true". Doubt it was ever that easy to crack a game.
Old 10 October 2002, 23:02   #64
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Tommy Gun

TOMMY GUN © MUTATION SOFTWARE 1996/97 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.WHY ARE YOU READING THIS ? - THERES NOTHING TO CRACK HERE M8
Old 10 October 2002, 23:55   #65
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Would be fun if all the cracker needed to do was the equivilant of "cracked = true".

I remember a few PC apps years back (486 times) had ini files with 'Registered = False' in them .. Guess what changing False to True did
Old 25 October 2002, 21:17   #66
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
Wayne Gretzky Hockey

Greetings from MAGICIAN 42.... Please don't spread this software. Sure, you think it would be cool to be a great spreader, but listen, when you do programs you expect to make money off them, don't you?? Greetings to ECA (BUD!!!), LIGHT CIRCLE, SODAN (Hej Dav!!!), UNIT-A (haben gewesen!), Heinz Lueem, WHO . I've been out of circulation since I moved to USA, so I don't know who's still greeting me, but to those who do : GREETINGS!!! START WRITING GREAT SOFTWARE, INSTEAD OF SPREADING OTHERS' !!!!! Julian 'MAGICIAN 42' LeFay, Washington DC, USA
Old 25 October 2002, 23:41   #67
Toxic

Do you know the story about Lemmings??

Just before the release of Lemmings on Amiga Systems it was crystal clear, that this game will be supplied by french best
Foxy or Mr. Video.
At this time Skid Row was a group like a bitch, Metallica of Skid Row kicked the people he could get to fit empty holes , empty holes by peoples that left Skid Row becoz of the bad situation there.
Yeah i am speaking of good old Skid Row no.1 amiga cracking crew, but late 1990 it was a lousy group.
Mr.M. italian super supplier left for Classic!
Miclantecuthli a.k.a. Mace / Paranoimia stopped again supply activities

In other words SKID ROW was not able to hold the high ratio in cracking. Metallica tryed to react:

-cooperation with Fairlight ...... .failed!
-cooperation with LEGEND ( ex M.A.D. ) failed
-kicking ORACLE members , but the best supplier good old scottish Action Man formed with the best of ORACLE and SCOOPEX the group GENESIS. Metallica kicked again the lame stuff!
-cooperation with VALHALLA and kickin' all elite members, but without cracker Tigger ( who left after some weeks ) and supplier Genna ( who left after some hours ) he kicked again lame stuff.

Also the old Paranoimia elite stuff get sick of the course of Metallica.
Cracker Hellion lost motivation and ideld away
Eurosoft, Corsair and other waited for arrested Paranoimia leader Jurgen to come back and take over again.

At this point former Paranoimia members Papillion and Big Balls, co leader of Skid Row, decided to leave the group to find another group called: SPRINT
Starting point should be the release of LEMMINGS amiga

SPRINT
The group was build:
Big Balls --- leader
Papillion -- co leader
Corsair -- cracker
Mr. Video -- supplier
( Foxy -- supplier )
Optimize -- Bagdad Cafe EHQ
Beatbox -- Alcatraz BBS WHQ
FFC -- cracker

Also Big Balls got contact to Horizon another cracking group, that lost motivation. Coke left for Quartex , and the rest were looking for another group. Big Balles got the deal , after some phone calls:

Rebel -- supplier
Big D -- BBS
Gaston -- cracker ( yes the one that later joined Fairlight )

to join SPRINT.

At all SKID ROW BBS-Systems the listed members were informed , that SPRINT will be launched with the release of LEMMINGS. But the deal got public.

First: Jon Anil , writer of LEMMINGS copy protection, dedicated to the scene , got the information and included a message in the startfile:
"FRENCH SUPPLIER CALLING OVER SPRINT ARE GAY"

French supplier ---> the game was supplied original by Foxy

Big Balls planned, that FFC should crack the game. As the game arrived, FFC leeched it on the Ceasars Palace System with other Sprint unreleased stuff and started to work on it.
Metallica , that noticed what was going on, called FFC to release it for SKID ROW and stay in the group. BIG BALLS was sure for the victory, he was spreading memberlists of SPRINT in all official BBS-Systems.
But after hours of phone calles Full Fat Chicken accepted the money deal from Metallica and it was released for SKID ROW.

Sprint broke away after it, Big Balls was not able to keep the group together, some joined THE COMPANY ( Jürgen was back hehehe ), some HYPERION ( Gaston ).

When there was any situation ,that could have stopped the most successfull amiga cracking group, then it was this point.

When somebody from the software industry has ever written messages in game code, this one never reached his real destination ( Sprint )

funny story ..... or not?????

Old 26 October 2002, 01:03   #68
RCK
Administrator

nice story of the past memories
Old 26 October 2002, 02:30   #69
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

excellent story man .. hope its the real deal .. sounds good tho

*more* *more* they scream !! ...
Old 26 October 2002, 10:20   #70
Dalai

Great thread
Old 26 October 2002, 22:20   #71
Djay
95th User

i think there is a hidden message in the bootblock of R-Type... the original disk
Old 27 October 2002, 19:31   #72
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

If only....

FFC spent as much time and effort as he did with Lemmings on all his other cracks, perhaps he wouldn't have been in Eurosofts shadow.

I can say for sure that I have an altogether different meaning for the letters F.F.C.!
Old 27 October 2002, 22:06   #73
Toxic

Big grin

Galahad , what do you expect from somebody , that learned his art in a group like Tarkus Team ........
F.F.C. what was the original meaning Freedom Force Crack

Old 28 October 2002, 00:20   #74
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Tarkus Team were as rubbish as a group could get, IMHO.
Old 28 October 2002, 17:21   #75
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I think...

Hoodlum and Hellfire were perhaps worse still.... scrub that, just Hoodlum!
Old 28 October 2002, 18:39   #76
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

You weren't a fan of Iggy or were there other things about Hellfire that you thought were lame?

For a while there in the 90s it seemed that FLT and HF were the only ones cracking games, especially when the Amiga was in decline on the games front.
Old 28 October 2002, 19:56   #77
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Well...

When Iggy wasn't being a big headed twat, he was ok. The majority of the games they released were shit, and had lame protection on them, which was why they were so prolific. But at least they didn't screw up as much as The Black Cat/Hoodlum... what a lame loser he was!

Thought he was 'great', Phil Douglas soon brought him down to earth. He reckoned that if TBC was so damned good, perhaps he should have a crack contest with me.... needless to say, TBC made up a load of excuses as to why he couldn't.

Hoodlum then soon after released Kick Off 3 AGA European Challenge and totally lamed it up. They then copied the bootblock from my Rednex version (because I cracked the whole game from the bootblock) and tried to pass it off as their own!

Lame fucks the lot of them.
Old 28 October 2002, 20:21   #78
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I didn't mind Iggy......he seemed a bit out there (drugs perhaps?) the couple of times I chatted to him on IRC, but was friendly enough.

Agreed......HF did mostly easy cracks. However, they did come on the scene late in the piece (1993/94??) and by that time I think most of the remaining game publishers thought it futile to incorporate elaborate copy protections in their releases. I can't remember there being too many heavily protected games after 1994 or so. The one real exception that stands out in my mind was Championship Manager 2, but I think you know about that one
Old 28 October 2002, 20:33   #79
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yeah...

and the best bit is, I tried my installer on my 68o6o when I got it, not expecting it to work.... and it did!
Old 28 October 2002, 23:46   #80
Doozy

CM 2 installer

Is this Champ Man 2 Installer publicaly available?