English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 April 2004, 22:20   #1
blakstar

Possible guide for getting programs to work

I was just wondering if some kind of guide/pointer sheet for getting Amiga programs to work would be worthwhile -- I just don't want to waste my time if it's a bad idea (or if it exists anywhere else on the board)!

It came to mind as I was trying to install a program earlier today, and the Amiga was giving me nothing but Software Failure messages. Got it working with the help of SnoopDos -- almost forgot it existed since I haven't really done much on my real Amiga recently!

Turns out my system was missing a few of the MUI library files, but the errors certainly didn't give any indication of what was going wrong!

Anyway, comments gratefully accepted -- if some kind of guide would be helpful I'll try to put one together as soon as possible.

Old 25 April 2004, 18:55   #2
Jim

Yeah it's a great idea. I'm not sure if one exists on here, I haven't seen one.

Anyhow, if you write it now at least it will be current, and it's always better to have too much information that none at all.

GO FOR IT !

Good luck.

Old 25 April 2004, 19:25   #3
Bloodwych

That's one of the reasons why I created the ClassicWB setups containing all the most useful software,libs, datatypes etc. in a convenient stable base install - saves people having to trail round the web/aminet for all the required files.

If you feel like writing a guide go ahead. There is actually quite a comprehensive one here, although a much more compact and step-by-step version could be written I'm sure.

Pauls is very good too

Both of these don't troubleshoot however, so a guide covering that might be a good idea. Usually if you look at the readme files, it tells you what libs you need.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 25 April 2004 at 19:38.
Old 25 April 2004, 21:01   #4
blakstar

Well, I've managed to condense my guide to one line:

1. Install Bloodwych's ClassicWB

Guess what I'm installing on my Amiga very soon (I've just been playing with it on WinUAE) -- I'd rather be using it than wasting time installing various libraries and drivers!

Great work BTW -- no guides needed when something works this well!

Last edited by blakstar; 25 April 2004 at 21:07.

Old 25 April 2004, 21:12   #5
Bloodwych

Thanks.

Those packs actually need updating which I'll get round to when I have time.
  • New virusZ to replace virusexecutor
  • Keyfile added for the now freeware xadmaster library (stops shareware popup)
  • FileX replacing Newzap
  • General lib, program and menu updates
  • add snoopdos
  • xpk updates
  • whdload from 16->16.2

Oh man, the list goes on. Strange thing is you *think* you've covered everything but more stuff pops up to install into the packs. Hopefully after the next update, the only things to update in the future will be virus libs, whdload and perhaps Scalos if a new one becomes official.
Old 25 April 2004, 21:18   #6
blakstar

You might want to consider adding "GroovyPlayer" -- I added it to the ClassicWB setup when I was trying it out in WinUAE for easy audio CD support.

Old 25 April 2004, 21:26   #7
Bloodwych

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about that and internet support, then decided people can just add those if they want. Not too many people have CDROMS or net access on real A1200's. Might add it to the P96 version, which is for WinUAE.