English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 June 2019, 10:23   #201
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Sure, MS-DOS games were the way you describe, but I was talking about games being released these days: if someone downloads and run a Windows game it just works on pretty much any Wintel box
If the PC in question has one of the two graphics card architectures that tend to be supported then maybe. Otherwise it definitely won't. I've personally had to replace a graphics card in my PC to fix compatibilities. And on my current laptop 80% of games won't even start, while those that do tend not to work.

And yes, even 2D games are sometimes affected here.

Even if the above is all taken care of, running the wrong version of Windows or the wrong applications while the game is running can and often does lead to problems.

In short: this is just not true. PC's are rife with incompatibilities. Again, just check some game forums.
Quote:
, but many new Amiga games require a specific configuration or they won't work. Having a 68060 or extra RAM whatever shouldn't be considered "non-standard" on an Amiga any more than having a particular x86 CPU or amount of RAM on an IBM is. The machines were designed to be expandable.
This is also false. The vast majority of new Amiga games run perfectly fine on a 68060 or with extra RAM. This game is one of those that works just fine with a 68060. As Richard pointed out, the problem seems to be in the programs run in the background - which is a common problem on Windows as well.

Please understand: the above is nothing personal, I'm only replying because what you're saying is incorrect.

Last edited by roondar; 25 June 2019 at 10:24. Reason: Clarified stuff slightly
Old 25 June 2019, 10:27   #202
vulture

I'm pretty sure OS4.x and MorphOS games are as easy to run as Windows ones. That takes a more modern OS and hardware powerful enough to need no metal banging to get the job done though. You can't compare fairly 68k+OS3.x to a (ie) XP+P4 or higher system.
Old 25 June 2019, 11:37   #203
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Yep, you are paying the convenience of having these abstraction layers with speed.

Off course you won't have as much compatibility when you are directly coding for a machines chipset.
But that's what we are doing here. And anything else doesn't interest me on the Amiga. If i'd want to code Library and OS-Routines stuff, I'd do that on my Windows PC.
Old 25 June 2019, 16:12   #204
Wachi

Wink

Well, I'm going to enjoy it for the moment in my 1200 and my CD32
hope that soon all the problems in other formats can be solved
With Amiga everything is possible ..

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Wachi; 25 June 2019 at 17:10.
Old 25 June 2019, 18:01   #205
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
060 is pretty much standard in A1200 scene since forever.

Curiously I wonder why you think that? The Demoscene?? how many people when it comes to the entirety of the Amiga scene are invested enough to own an 060 to run 060 demos?

The 060 was the dream accelerator for many, most who bought an accelerator lived within the realm of a budget of a faster 020 then if able an 030 or 040 and didn't see the need to go to an 060 since there wasn't enough incentive titles wise to go there after the demise of Commodore as things dried up.

Yes there were ports of PC games that made use of the 060 but since they were sparse most still didn't bother and catering for lowest common denominator isn't exactly a profitable venture when the market is already tight with standard Amiga's alone.

I myself have had a Blizzard 030 since '96 and wouldn't expect anything more than support for a standard A1200 in this day and age or a standard A500 ..etc for that matter.

Last edited by blade002; 25 June 2019 at 18:44.
Old 25 June 2019, 19:30   #206
DamienD
Banned

Hi Richard,

I asked this question back on page 6 of the thread but never received an answer.

I purchased the digital download i.e. "ReshootR-Full-Download.lha"

If I extract everything to a folder and start the game, or run the installer and then start the game, I get this title screen:

However, if I extract everything from "/Extras/Archive/reshootr.lha" and then start the game I have a different title screen?

So, what's the difference between these 2 sets of files if any (besides the title screen)?

Also what title screen did you use on the CD32 .ISO?
Old 25 June 2019, 22:36   #207
Wachi

So I could see everything that has to do with the CD shows you the second screen, if you start from the CD, if the installation is made from the CD and the CD32 boot also.
Only the first screen shows me the installation that I put in a 1200 of the files that I downloaded before the physical copy arrived.
The deduction I think it is, that the files on the CD and the bin are the same as the extra files in the download.

Last edited by Wachi; 25 June 2019 at 22:44.
Old 26 June 2019, 02:29   #208
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Off course you won't have as much compatibility when you are directly coding for a machines chipset.
That's not necessarily the case: a game running under WHDLoad is directly accessing the chipset, yet doing so in a compatible manner. The WHDLoad slaves are largely just fixing bugs in the games, eg. lack of blitter waits, doing things which cause problems on later 680x0s, etc. which if the original game did not have such bugs, and had instead adhered to the official guidelines, it would have been compatible from the start.
Old 26 June 2019, 13:34   #209
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hi Richard,

I asked this question back on page 6 of the thread but never received an answer.

I purchased the digital download i.e. "ReshootR-Full-Download.lha"

If I extract everything to a folder and start the game, or run the installer and then start the game, I get this title screen:

However, if I extract everything from "/Extras/Archive/reshootr.lha" and then start the game I have a different title screen?

So, what's the difference between these 2 sets of files if any (besides the title screen)?

Also what title screen did you use on the CD32 .ISO?
This is one of the small surprises hidden within the game. There are basically different introscreens in the digital and the physical version of the game. Physical version (ISO) uses the lower introscreen when booted, installed or started from the folder. That´s the only ingame difference.
Old 26 June 2019, 16:40   #210
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for the information Richard
Old 27 June 2019, 11:50   #211
vulture

@Minuous

Yes, but WHDLoad needs extra RAM to build a kind of sandbox to do that. I think 2mb are the absolute minimum for most games. And even then, some of them suffer from stuttering issues, like SWOS (dunno if this has been fixed in the mean time tho).

Last edited by vulture; 27 June 2019 at 14:24.
Old 28 June 2019, 09:35   #212
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Buzzybee: how do the sales go with Reshoot R, it it is not a secret?
Old 30 June 2019, 15:54   #213
mai

Nice game, awesome Soundtrack , surely worth to buy.
Old 03 July 2019, 19:54   #214
mai

back to WB possible?
Old 05 July 2019, 02:06   #215
thairacerjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
back to WB possible?
from the author of reshoot-r 'buzzybee" on page 3 of this thread :
Quote:
@all who asked for a quit function: Function is in there, but disabled for safety reasons. Why, you ask: I cannot guarantee 100% that the code alters the Amigas memory. Therefore, if someone would use his Amiga for some serious business, then start RESHOOT R and quit, it might happen that some data gets lost. Myself, I did not experience such a situation with the final code, but stili I do not want to be responsible for any kind of modified data. Sorry!
Old 06 July 2019, 13:57   #216
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
from the author of reshoot-r 'buzzybee" on page 3 of this thread :

thanks for info , i was too lazy to read the whole thread!
Old 13 July 2019, 13:23   #217
invent
pixels

If your curious on longplays here is a great video from Morgan of ReshootR

[ Show youtube player ]

Spoilers included
Old 23 October 2019, 11:23   #218
roondar

I'm going to be buying this either this month or next month and I see there's at least two (maybe three!?) CD versions available: a "classic" version, a "pure" version and a "signature" version.

Can someone tell me what exactly the differences are?
The store suggests the only difference is the signature version gets extra goodies such as a soundtrack CD.

But surely there are others? (why else have two versions)
Old 23 October 2019, 13:59   #219
buzzybee

There are two versions of the game on CD-ROM available, plus a separate soundtrack-CD.

All infos to be found here.
Old 23 October 2019, 14:01   #220
roondar

Thanks, I'll check it out