English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 July 2019, 14:57   #301
Dr_Procton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It is convenient, CoffinOS in my opinion is an unstable system, I was able to fix the problem of "Long names" on NetSurf, but then crashes "Wget", fixed Wget, just started FFplay the system restarts, in short always problems for anything new that you try to start.

I already have OS 3.1.4 RTG + AfA-OS and it works fantastic, see screenshots
Ok, so it is possible to run Afa on 3.1.4. That's good indeed..
Coffin is not unstable, is a very well assembled Amiga os (is vampire tailored so can have little quirks on a non-vampire system maybe). R53 was almost perfect on vampire, even aestetically was pretty cool, maybe not as shiny as AmikitX, but surely a work of love. The R54 release was maybe a bit rushed, but I think the next update will fix everything (and that black drawers too)
Old 24 July 2019, 15:05   #302
AMIGASYSTEM

Not on Coffin except RIVA and the Video Drivers there is no native Vampire application. Once those files are deleted the rest is all native OS 3.x, the instability in my opinion is given by a mixture of old and new things between applications, libraries etc. I had to change OS fog to make it stable.
Old 24 July 2019, 18:51   #303
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
@Amigasystem: excuse my ignorance but I thought Afa-OS was a system by itself, how do you « install » it on top of 3.1.4?

AfA-OS is an OS 3.9 extension that can be installed on any OS Amiga based on OS3.9. AfA-OS is no less invasive than Dopus5 Magellan and Scalos, in practice it only replaces some OS3 libraries with AROS ones.
AfA-OS is an integral part of many Modern Operating Systems such as Amikit8, AmikiX, AFAWB, but also AIAB, the one attached.

AIAB AfA-OS: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2019, 18:55   #304
Dr_Procton

Quote:
Not on Coffin except RIVA and the Video Drivers there is no native Vampire application. Once those files are deleted the rest is all native OS 3.x, the instability in my opinion is given by a mixture of old and new things between applications, libraries etc. I had to change OS fog to make it stable.
Are you sure about that? The jpg datatype is surely Ammx ehnanced as well as the neogeo emulator. And a tool named vcontrol that sets some parameters like ide speed can have strange effect on a non-vampire setup. To my experience coffin is pretty stable on vampire hardware. On other setups I didn't try so I can't say nothing about..
Hemm.. what's an OS fog?
Old 24 July 2019, 20:13   #305
Ledfoot

Personally while I like Coffin I wish there were 2 flavors - 1 like right now with the kitchen sink thrown at it, and then another that is more just a stripped down version - OS, OS enhancements, and maybe some utilities and that’s it so I can pick and choose what I want to install on it. I find myself having to remove a lot of stuff I don’t want/need from the current version and that often causes more problems...

Unfortunately figuring out how to do a full OS and tools install from scratch optimized is an exercise that would take more time than I currently have available.
Old 24 July 2019, 20:16   #306
AMIGASYSTEM

Apart from the fact that one or two applications do not change an operating system, the fact that Coffin runs perfectly on WinUAE shows that there is nothing incompatible with standard OS3.

- vcontrol is a 68k application that also works on standard Amiga or WinUAE, of course these machines do not need it because it does not have that hardware, this happens with any other Amiga device that you have but that you do not use when that harware is not present.

- JPG.datatypes on my coffin is disabled as it is also on my AfA-OS, coffin to show the graphics JPG does not use Jpg.datatypes but uses "jfif.datatype" which is the same datatypes that I use on OS3 systems including AfA-OS, try to rename this file and no JPG image will be seen by programs that use Datatypes

- fog? is a term shot by the translator, I meant that I have updated and improved more things.

- Coffin is stable and compatible only with the installed software, try to use some new software published in the News of this or other site

- Neogeo emulator has nothing to do with the operating system

--------- Italiano ----------

A parte il fatto che una o due applicazioni non cambiano un sistema operativo, il fatto che Coffin funzioni perfettamente su WinUAE dimostra che non c'è nulla di incompatibile con OS3 standard.

- vcontrol è una applicazione 68k che funziona anche su Amiga standard o WinUAE, naturalmente non serve a queste macchine perchè non ha quell'hardware, questo accade con qualsiasi altro device Amiga che si ha ma che non si usa quando quell'harware non è presente

- JPG.datatypes sul mio coffin è disabilitato come lo è anche sul mio AfA-OS, coffin per mostrare la grafica JPG usa "jfif.datatype" che è lo stesso datatypes che uso io sui sistemi OS3 compreo AfA-OS, prova a rinominare questo file e vedrai che nessuna immagine JPG potrà essere vista dai programmi che usano i Datatypes.

- fog? è un termine sparato dal traduttore, intendevo dire che ho aggiornato e migliorato più cose.

- Coffin è stabile e compatibile solo con il software installato, prova ad utilizzare qualche nuovo software pubblicato nelle News di questo o altro sito

- Emulatore Neogeo non ha nulla a che vedere con il sistema operativo.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 July 2019 at 20:25.
Old 24 July 2019, 21:07   #307
Dr_Procton

Just replied to your assumption that "on Coffin except RIVA and the Video Drivers there is no native Vampire application". I perfectly know that an emulator is not a system tool.
I'm not a Coffin's advocate (I find it too much game-oriented for my tastes) but In my personal experience I didn't have problems with new software, but I'm not a guy that tries every new software as you do, so I can't argue about this on specific issues. I just think that Coffin is ok for people that want to try vampire (many users have not a clue about how a big box amiga works/worked). It's a ready to go - key in hand - solution for newbies and for people that have little time for study and configure a functional amiga environment. And there's an awful lot of software to try in it..
Old 24 July 2019, 21:14   #308
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok, de gustibus non est disputandum
Old 24 July 2019, 22:12   #309
hUMUNGUs

AMIGASYSTEM: Want to share with us you how to setup AFA on plain 3.1.4 ? Would be much appreciated :-)
Old 25 July 2019, 08:17   #310
AMIGASYSTEM

Okay, made a video showing how to install AfA-OS on an OS 3.1.4/3.9

Practically I installed RTG and AfA-OS manually and simply copying the files needed for this purpose, as a basis I used an OS 3.1.4 AGA.

Of course then everything has to be improved by updating OS3.1.4 and Picasso96 drivers and maybe changing the icons with a Dual-PNG version.

Install AfA-OS on OS 3.1.4/3.9

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 July 2019 at 08:24.
Old 25 July 2019, 14:54   #311
hUMUNGUs

Thnx!
Old 25 July 2019, 15:01   #312
MartinW

So much of this has nothing to do with Vampire V4 !!!

Anyway, one thing that does: @AMIGASYSTEM, before you start complaining about how unreliable CoffinOS is, just remember that you are not even meant to be running it as you don't have a Vampire. And it's not designed to run under emulation. I'm not saying that the issues you have are anything to do with that because I don't have a Vampire yet, just saying, don't start knocking it until you've confirmed whether things are unstable on the real hardware or not.
Old 25 July 2019, 15:30   #313
AMIGASYSTEM

I do not know your knowledge about AmigaOS, I know the bike well for 30 years, if it is true that the Vampire is equal and compatible with a real Amiga should meet the same problems, buy the vampire first and then we talk about it.
Old 25 July 2019, 15:35   #314
MartinW

Well it's well known that the Vampire V4 has instructions that don't exist on real Amiga's, hence my point, and to my knowledge those things don't exist under emulation.

Regarding this:

Quote:
buy the vampire first and then we talk about it
You first

But seriously, I have placed my "pre-order to gauge interest only" for whatever that's worth so sure, let me know when yours has arrived and I'll do the same!!
Old 25 July 2019, 18:43   #315
grond

Quote:
I do not know your knowledge about AmigaOS, I know the bike well for 30 years, if it is true that the Vampire is equal and compatible with a real Amiga should meet the same problems, buy the vampire first and then we talk about it.
I would like to see your setup running on a real 060+RTG Amiga.
Old 25 July 2019, 18:49   #316
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I would like to see your setup running on a real 060+RTG Amiga.
My A4000/060 hasn't worked for 25 years and sleeps in the garage so I can't test it, as it were, this was my 060 system I used in the 90s.

[ Show youtube player ]

This one taken from youtube:

1200T with Blizzard 1260, Mediator LT4 and Voodoo 3 3000.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 July 2019 at 19:00.
Old 25 July 2019, 18:54   #317
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Well it's well known that the Vampire V4 has instructions that don't exist on real Amiga's.
As already said about CoffinOS it works fine on WinUAE, if you don't know it the image of CoffinOS (.img) is a HardFile created on WinUAE and all applications and system files installed are normal OS3 files, except for Video drivers and other OS3 ignores. Give me a list of system files or libraries that are native Vampires, let's see how many you can find.
Old 25 July 2019, 22:08   #318
MartinW

What does the stability of applications running under emulation have to do with whether system files and libs are vampire specific? There are, without doubt applications at least that use Vampire specific code such as the ammx stuff. So yeah, there’s stuff that is not going to run properly on an emulator. It even tells you as much. And yes, I have the image and have run it on my physical hardware even thought I should not have done since I only have a 68060 running at 100Mhz, not a vampire. At the end of the day, I just ran it out of curiosity to explore what’s on it. It doesn’t run well enough to use which is what I would expect. I look forward to being able to use it though. I liked what I saw so well done to whoever created it.
Old 25 July 2019, 22:18   #319
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
What does the stability of applications running under emulation have to do with whether system files and libs are vampire specific? There are, without doubt applications at least that use Vampire specific code such as the ammx stuff.
On coffinOS there are no native Vampire "ammx" system files and libraries (list some), first because they are normal OS3 system files and second because otherwise you would never have started on WinUAE or your 68060 (no vampire) .
Quote:
So yeah, there’s stuff that is not going to run properly on an emulator. It even tells you as much. And yes,
You're wrong everything works on WinUAE, as I told you there are only a few native Vampire files like the SAGA video drivers but these in the system startup are ignored by OS3 because they are useless, once you boot the system just go to screenmode and choose your preferred video resolution.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 July 2019 at 22:27.
Old 26 July 2019, 12:47   #320
Seiya

true. AMMX instructions are not in the OS, but in applications like, such as, RiVA. CoffinOS is made in ths way. if you have Vampire you can use some specific file for the card and if you haven't these ones will be ignored.
If you have Amiga 500 3.1 and lot of RAM you can run CoffinOS also with 68000@7 Mhz processor.