English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 14 February 2012, 10:33   #21
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am just developing my own solution, I think it is elegant, but will show it after I ensure myself it works.
Old 08 March 2012, 12:16   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

So, my attempt failed a bit. My imagination was using of a USB (male) to PS/2 (female) adaptor, eBay offers these for few pennies.

I bought two of them. I wanted to use them with 230V -> USB charger, which is very common and also cost few bucks. I have one for my Samsung digital camera. So I plugged everything together, connected the tablet to it and it didn't work. I noticed then, that the damn charger provides only 4.4V instead of standart 5V USB output (what the hell Samsung thinks they are doing?). Ok, I replugged the USB-PS/2 adaptor to the standart full charging USB port of my laptop. And it did't work again.

I deicided to test the adaptor and plugged the PS/2 optical mouse into it to check if it lits at least. And it killed the mouse!

Fortunatelly, it didn't kill the tablet before. I think that my USB-PS/2 adaptors are just faulty. So my final solution is now: I have been using a PC PSU for powering my Amiga for a long time. I soldered additional PS/2 cord to it (+5V and GND) and it now powers the tablet. I also have an idea to put PS/2 port to the rear side of my A1200, just next to the scandoubler output. This port would have only two wires (+5 and GND) on pins 2 and 4, just for power.

BTW - this is that PSU. I can say it is online, because this is definetelly on the web

I have still additonal problem though - the wacom tablet doesn't work correctly. Pointer moves, RMB works, but it doesn't draw as the LMB function is not working. I tried it with Chris Hodges' FormAldiHyd driver.

Last edited by Predseda; 08 March 2012 at 16:38.
Old 21 March 2012, 03:09   #23
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
... I wanted to use them with 230V -> USB charger, which is very common and also cost few bucks. I have one for my Samsung digital camera. So I plugged everything together, connected the tablet to it and it didn't work. I noticed then, that the damn charger provides only 4.4V instead of standart 5V USB output (what the hell Samsung thinks they are doing?). Ok, I replugged the USB-PS/2 adaptor to the standart full charging USB port of my laptop. And it did't work again.

I deicided to test the adaptor and plugged the PS/2 optical mouse into it to check if it lits at least. And it killed the mouse!

Fortunatelly, it didn't kill the tablet before. I think that my USB-PS/2 adaptors are just faulty. So my final solution is now: I have been using a PC PSU for powering my Amiga for a long time. I soldered additional PS/2 cord to it (+5V and GND) and it now powers the tablet. I also have an idea to put PS/2 port to the rear side of my A1200, just next to the scandoubler output. This port would have only two wires (+5 and GND) on pins 2 and 4, just for power.

I have still additonal problem though - the wacom tablet doesn't work correctly. Pointer moves, RMB works, but it doesn't draw as the LMB function is not working. I tried it with Chris Hodges' FormAldiHyd driver.

Wow! Sounds like you had quite the adventure there I'm glad you didn't burn out the tablet (which is a big surprise considering that the mouse died)!

Unfortunately I still haven't even tried to hook this thing up... Life got a little...hectic... After I bought the tablet..
I still don't know how I want to get the power to this thing. I'm thinking maybe taking it directly from the mobo so that everything stays relatively clean and stock looking, since I plan on using this on the one Amiga that I want to keep as original looking as possible.

Forgive my ignorance, but since I have been inactive for a pretty long time, and haven't much used my Amigas in the past couple months. What is the best way to hook this thing up and install the drivers? I've heard bits and pieces from other people, but I would like someones complete guide to how they got it up and running.

By the way Predseda, are using the same tablet as I am? (HyperPen 6000)
Old 21 March 2012, 10:44   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

No, I use Wacom Graphire 2 at the moment (0405-R). I downloaded the driver from Aminet (just input "tablet" to the search field and you will get it), there is a documentation in amigaguide format and it is very easy to use.

It draws now, although the LMB function is not working. Finally I found I just need to press the stylus a little bit harder to the tablet and it draws a line. It is different from PC, where it draws just with soft touch.

I also will probably take power directly from motherboard later, I think I will steal it from FDD connector.
Old 27 July 2015, 11:57   #25
nemazoty
WHD/oldskool maniac

I like to use my Wacom Artpad (KT-0405-R) on my Amiga. It has a DB9 connection. Should I buy an adapter like this or build my own?
I ask this because in the Wacom150 driver archive there is a schematics that differs from standard adapter connection.