English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 07 September 2006, 01:17   #21
Peanutuk

For those interested in helping out www.amigapower.com I have opened a thread here.
Old 07 September 2006, 05:46   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, I'm certainly in favour of banning Glyxx. He has caused untold harm to the Amiga community through these rash actions. And I should point out that he lied by assuring me he wouldn't try to get it shut down. What a f*ckwit.

Maybe he thinks if he gets every other Amiga site shut down then everyone will go to his rather crap site?

Oh well. It doesn't really hurt me personally, since I already have all those files. But I do feel sorry for the rest of the Amiga community that will be missing out on these resources. If someone wants to help out by hosting them, that would be appreciated, pls get in touch...
Old 07 September 2006, 06:05   #23
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
I don't care for all the bitching going on here, i just hope the precious resources supplied are saved! For arguments sake i am sorry to the innocents here who have lost stuff i hope they can get it back! to anyone here who has another Amiga resource / site / whatever this is my home (E.A.B) and i am not intrested in infighting in any of those other sites! E.A.B rules.. i know there are plenty of other amiga forums but this one is the best!
Old 07 September 2006, 06:20   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Thanks to K2 for posting about this on my shoutbox on AtomNET.

What I don't understand is why any of this happened? Why did anything other than the page with the kickstarts on have to be removed? I can't quite make any sense of the whole "omg everything's gone" so I assume I'm missing something.
Old 07 September 2006, 06:23   #25
gizmomelb

Minuous /Woody - would you consider sharing a backup of the site(s) so it can be hosted elsewhere?

I don't know about other countries, but most ISPs in Australia do not count upload bandwidth (ie: data sent to you) so an Aussie could host his site(s) for just their normal ADSL/cable account (limit would be their upload bandwidth of course - but for someone lucky enough to be on ADSL2+ it'd be more than enough. Me, I'm on 512/512 so it's a possibility - also I might be able to convince the boss to let me stick it on our class C at work, but that's unlikely).
Old 07 September 2006, 06:36   #26
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, I'd like to get the site hosted somewhere. If someone can arrange me an account I don't mind reuploading the 3Gb. But please be aware that it will take me several months to do this, as I am only connected at 28.8Kbps.
Old 07 September 2006, 07:05   #27
glwxxx

Exclamation statement

Please read my statement before I leave this board for good:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25423 - POSTS number 2 and 8

Last edited by glwxxx; 07 September 2006 at 07:37.

Old 07 September 2006, 07:43   #28
keropi

oh, what a shame, after ruining everything you are gonna leave now for good... you won't be missed, so fairwell.
Old 07 September 2006, 08:12   #29
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Thanks Woody for all your support. I hope you don't leave the forum and that your health stays good enough to weather the storm and get back to enjoying the Amiga.

As for the situation, without getting "negative", I put most of the blame on Minuous. IMHO, it would have happened eventually whether someone reported it now or later. Having an installed copy of OS3.9 and roms is asking for trouble. If glwxxx is banned, then Minuous should be too.
Old 07 September 2006, 10:19   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

glwxxx is NOT going to be banned and neither is anyone else!

This has not caused any harm to the EAB itself so please stop talking about banning members as it is NOT going to happen.

Though will everyone read and understand the next statement

ANY MEMBER OF EAB THAT HOSTS KICKSTART ROMS, WORKBENCH DISKS/CD'S AND POSTS A LINK ON EAB OR UPLOADS TO THE ZONE CAN EXPECT TO BE BANNED. WE ARE NOT MESSING ABOUT, EVERYONE HAS SEEN THE DAMAGE THIS CAN CAUSE SO WE ARE NOT GOING TO ALLOW ANYONE TO COMPROMISE THE EAB!
Old 07 September 2006, 10:25   #31
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Bip, this is some damned obvious.. I mean.. what kind of moron can think putting WB or KS files anywhere is gonna be tolerated?

I'm not sure I follow the story tho.. if the guy had an account at Deadwood and hosted files there then surely the sensible thing would have been to severely restrict accounts at Deadwood and therefore keep the site up without such dumb content there.

I for one (of many) will miss the WHDLoad packs etc at Deadwood. I hope Woody didnt get too much grief from Cloanto.
Old 07 September 2006, 10:28   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

Woody was told to remove ALL amiga related stuff or he will be closed down and he hosts more important things than amiga!

as for the obvious post.. last night I deleted a post where the poster said they was gonna share the kickstart and os3.9 cd and even in this thread Minuous is talking about re-sharing his stuff. I'm just ensuring all members who read this know what consequences to expect if they host files that could get the eab closed!
Old 07 September 2006, 10:49   #33
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

What a shame all this...
Old 07 September 2006, 11:23   #34
Marcuz
Wurk???

people, let's start something constructive here. there are LEGAL resources that need to find a home, for the people interested.
Old 07 September 2006, 13:35   #35
k2uphill

i like to say i am not a shamed to say or shout out loud, here goes anyway.

if you have been affected by the action of glwxxx to our beloved woody (deadwood Projects) then consider the following action into account boycott- glwxxx Preinstalled Workbench HD setups in the FAQ and ask the removal of his link from the FAQ , myself i recommends all of the above.

this is my response why because i did not get to download all the reference and documents in time from amican,

final note on amikit "just say NO" and recommend amigaSYS!

Old 07 September 2006, 13:40   #36
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm getting bored of saying this, this is the last time before mods start to issue warnings!

STOP SLAGGING OFF GLWXXX ON EAB. HE IS NOT THE ONLY PERSON TO BLAME AND HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO EAB ITSELF!
Old 07 September 2006, 14:20   #37
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

All of this brings us back to the ridiculous reality that kickstart roms of a seriously defunct and ancient OS are still deemed worthy of copyright protection whilst it's competitors of the period (i.e. the Atari ST's) are freely available...

Anyway, very very very sorry to see Woody's site go down.
Old 07 September 2006, 14:21   #38
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
All of this brings us back to the ridiculous reality that kickstart roms of a seriously defunct and ancient OS are still deemed worthy of copyright protection whilst it's Atari ST competitors are freely available...(just my two cents).
We are just discussing this on IRC now!
Old 07 September 2006, 15:10   #39
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
if you have been affected by the action of glwxxx to our beloved woody (deadwood Projects) then consider the following action into account boycott- glwxxx Preinstalled Workbench HD setups in the FAQ and ask the removal of his link from the FAQ , myself i recommends all of the above.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
this is my response why because i did not get to download all the reference and documents in time from amican,
OK everybody the all-new temporary Amigan Software website is now up:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jrjacobs76/

However due to severe space restrictions there is a lot of content unavailable (approx. 99%). So hosting is still needed...

If anyone needs any of the files that are unavailable just PM me and I'll email them.

I should take this opportunity to point out that Cloanto never contacted me about the matter, nor checked the site to see if Glyxx was full of shit, which he was at that point, as I removed the OS3.9 files several days ago. If I get a request from the copyright holder to remove something I always do so promptly, eg. Ralph Babel asked me the other week to remove the Amiga Guru Book. So while clearly Glyxx has done a completely dickhead thing, I can't say I'm impressed with Cloanto either. Or BlueHost for that matter.

Last edited by Minuous; 07 September 2006 at 15:51.
Old 07 September 2006, 18:48   #40
Avanze
Amiga User

Since glwxxx is so bothered about illegal material. I say let's go round to his house make sure everything is perfecly legal there. Any illegal downloaded mp3s? Any recorded movies from television? The list in endless. The fact is that kickstart roms are easy to find, and I think his actions probably caused more harm then good in this case. If glwxxx is so interested in preventing crime he should become a police officer for the greater good of public safety, not a informer of petty pick-pocket online crime.