English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 July 2016, 02:05   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Indie Retro News went to PLAY Expo Margate 2016!

Quote:
During this weekend Indie Retro News had the pleasure of going to the awesome retrogaming convention of ' PLAY Expo Margate ', which lasted from the 23rd to the 24th of July 2016. It was an event that was to have a fair slice of gaming and merchandise stalls, cosplay, retro gaming hardware with games to play, modern gaming, competitions, arcade machines and much more. It was an event that we have been eagerly awaiting to go to all these months past, and finally after going we can show you if it was worth another trip down memory lane.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/0...play-expo.html

So who went?
Old 27 July 2016, 11:09   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

I didn't!

To me, it seems all these events are now getting too much of the same thing so one event looks more are less like all the others! A friend who I go with is of the same opinion that's why we've took a break from these events, we did go to a lot of them and I think that might be one of the reasons why they all started to look the same.
Old 27 July 2016, 11:26   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I didn't!

To me, it seems all these events are now getting too much of the same thing so one event looks more are less like all the others! A friend who I go with is of the same opinion that's why we've took a break from these events, we did go to a lot of them and I think that might be one of the reasons why they all started to look the same.
Most likely, as I go once a year. Any more than that and I'd be burned out
Old 27 July 2016, 16:22   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yeah, I think we were going to 4 or 5 a year and thought it's getting too much and looking the same. Haven't been to Play in Manchester the last couple of years for the same reason!

Anyway, read your quite comprehensive piece on IRN and the cosplay is a real issue! One of the Play Manchester events had Andrew Hewson having to wait nearly 45 minutes as the cosplay had run over and he couldn't do his talk as he was on the same stage! We asked at the information booth why this was happening and the organiser was less than happy saying he'd rather not book them again!

Another Play Manchester issue was one event had the AV company that put up the screen/projectors only put in a few and then left, nobody could do any talks on Saturday but the cosplay went ahead as they got a screen!! So we left for home around 4pm, after booking a hotel to stay specifically for the talks on the Sunday as well!

The other issue is the amount of 'tat' that seems to crop up at these events, Jewelry, toys, clothing, DVD's, stuff like that that's not even related to gaming and just there to make a quick profit!
Old 27 July 2016, 22:00   #5
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
The other issue is the amount of 'tat' that seems to crop up at these events, Jewelry, toys, clothing, DVD's, stuff like that that's not even related to gaming and just there to make a quick profit!
Have to agree with this, at NERG recently there was a whole stand selling nothing but sweets as well as others flogging clothes, cos play crap like giant swords and then figures for what looked like D&D type stuff. Gaming Expo's have been infiltrated by sellers hoping gaming geeks/nerds (i'm one!) are also role playing and cos play geeks and nerds as well, it's clearly not the case when they sit there all day looking bored shitless doing no trade.
Old 27 July 2016, 23:45   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

There's a few pics of just these type of sellers in the IRN article, think 5th, 6th and 7th pics appear to be just selling 'tat'