English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 October 2003, 07:55   #1
Schattenmeister

ADF Files -> Amiga(amiga with dos Emulator)

Hi, i have a Amiga 500 with kick1.3 and 1MB Ram and No second Diskdrive.

I have a Dos Emulator(Dos 3.3) for the amiga,so that i cam read 720kb dos Disks.
I can copy a compressed ADF/DMS FIle to the dos disk and now i want write it back on a amiga in the Dos Emulation!!!
Is there any Programm that i can write ADF Images directly to the Amiga Diskdrive or something else???

Or is threre any programm,that i can read ADF Disks under dos 3.3???

Thx in advance....

Old 09 October 2003, 10:36   #2
thomas

I would copy the DMS program and the DMS file to RAM:, then insert an empty floppy and use DMS to write the file to floppy.

copy workbench:c/dms ram:
copy msdosdisk:filename.dms ram:
ram:dms write df0: ram:filename.dms

With ADF it depends on how you compressed it. I don't know if GZIP works on Kick1.3 and if there is any unpacker for ZIP oder other formats. Generally you need to uncompress and write in one go because you have too few memory and only one floppy drive.
Old 09 October 2003, 12:49   #3
Schattenmeister

very interesting.
The DMS2Disk mußt be run in dos,right???

please can you give me some links to the tools (DMS)...???

Old 09 October 2003, 13:34   #4
thomas

Main link to all Amiga software: http://www.aminet.net

Search for DMS: http://www.aminet.net/aminet.cgi?string=util+dms

AFAIK the latest version of DMS (V2.something) is commercial and not available on Aminet.
Old 13 October 2003, 01:30   #5
LaFey

Unhappy

Hummm suppose you only have 512kb... Like a regular A500. I think I would be fried... I actually came to this topic after posting a similar reply on another board - check it here please at:

http://os.amiga.com/forums/viewtopic...882&highlight=

(Check my reply)

Damn I want to download demos on my PC and watch demos on my Amiga but this issue is bugging the hell out of me... I can't afford a Catweasel...
Old 13 October 2003, 01:40   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'll try and help here a little!

It is possible with 512kb IF you have 2 drives!

Basically you need crossdos, run it from WB and it should allow you to mount DF0: as a pc drive!!

What you do then is put the PC disk (with DMS) in the internal drive, run dms and have something like

DMS write PC0:filename.dms TO df1: <- This is correct syntax BTW

assuming PC0: is DF0: if not from a cli type INFO and you will get a listing of all mounted drives

If you have 512kb and no external drive.. forget it I reckon!!!!
Old 13 October 2003, 02:51   #7
LaFey

Question hummm

Then I can't do it on my A500... (And besides even my single internal drive is history btw...)

But in my soon to be A2000a I have a 5.25' drive besides the 3.5' (and a PC emulator board) - will this help somewhat or must I definitely get an external 720kb floppy drive? The 5 incher only supports 360kb... I suppose you couldn't copy *half* the disk at a time...

Damn money... Still it's cheaper to get an external drive than a Catweasel - of couser the latter should prove itself handier with time...
Old 13 October 2003, 09:33   #8
mtb

Re: hummm

Quote:
Originally posted by LaFey
Then I can't do it on my A500... (And besides even my single internal drive is history btw...)

But in my soon to be A2000a I have a 5.25' drive besides the 3.5' (and a PC emulator board) - will this help somewhat or must I definitely get an external 720kb floppy drive?
You can also with one drive and 512 kb, it's just a little big pain.

The main problem is how to transfer messydos ( similar to cross dos, it works on 1.3 and it's downloadable from aminet ) to an amiga wb disk. Don't you have a serial cable ( a lot cheaper than a catweasel... ) ?

Try to boot with this disk once you have managed how to use it with winuae and if you can transfer it to a 880 kb disk. It uses messydos instead of cross dos and so it runs also on 1.3.

Basically you need to split the adf into 3 or 4 part on a dos disk.
Old 14 October 2003, 00:10   #9
LaFey

Quote:
Don't you have a serial cable ( a lot cheaper than a catweasel... ) ?
I don't think I do... But this seems to be the way to go. You must be referring to a Null Modem cable - saw some info on it... I browsed the disk you recommended on UAE and it's exactly what I'm looking for!

I need some charitable sould to send me a WB 1.3 with messydos disk + the disk MTB recommended (found above) + floppy head alignment proggie. And without wanting to push my luck by any means a Cloanto Amiga Forever copy???

BTW: I got my A500 internal drive working again - it takes a lot of retries to read a disk - but it eventually does. I salvaged both Workbench 1.3 and Extras 1.3. If I had the serial cable connection I'd try some head alignment too... And messydos for sure! Check the related thread here

Last edited by LaFey; 14 October 2003 at 02:31.