English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2009, 00:41   #1
StarEye
Zone Friend

I've become a DOSbox nerd!

Should I be ashamed?

Seriously, I've had a few DOS games for years now, and thought it was time I started playing around with DOSbox on my overly shiny Vista system. Since my collection mainly consists of Sierra adventures, I started with those, and now Larry 1-7, Police Quest 1-4, Space Quest 1-6, King's Quest 1-7, The 7th Guest, Gabriel Knight 1 (will install 2 soon), and even Actua Soccer which I got for free for reasons I can't remember. Unfortunately, I can't get Phantasmagoria 2 working, nor can I rip the discs (must be some kind of protection). I didn't bother with games that are supported by ScummVM though, it'd just be a waste of time, since ScummVM is so good.

Anyway, I've exhausted my collection of DOS games, so now I'm eager to start collecting DOS games.

And I also realized how much better the sound on the Amiga is, 90% of the time. Sometimes it doesn't even sound like the same tune. Also, I really prefer the Amiga graphics still, some games are like some messed up pixel breeding ground. I'm starting to wonder if it's my modern PC that makes it look so bad, or that the DOS games actually looked as blocky and pixely as that. What good is 256 colours when you can't even see what the pixel-art is supposed to be?

Anyway, yeah, I've gone over to the dark side, just to get some perspective. And it's fun, so my collecting days are definitely not entirely over yet.
Old 15 March 2009, 00:51   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well there are quite a few games that aren't available for the Miggy, so you don't have to be ashamed You should add Laura Bow to your Sierra collection too Really enjoyed the second part (Dagger of Amon Ra) with speech
Also you should gather all the Doom/Duke Nukem/Blood clones
It's fun to have a Dos collection... as long as don't forget to check them on the Miggy too (if available).
Old 15 March 2009, 01:05   #3
StarEye
Zone Friend

Yeah, I prefer playing them on the miggy, but unfortunately my favourite pet isn't connected at all times. I realized that there are very few games that I want to play on the PC over the Amiga. I will be checking out MI2 pc version though, as well as Indy 4 talkie, since I now got Roland MT-32 emulation to work. Indy sounds remarkably much like the real Indy.

And I will definately pick up Laura Bow if I stumble upon it. In fact, I think I will pick up most DOS games if I stumble upon them, since they're both rare, and quite cheap when I actually do find some.
Old 15 March 2009, 01:20   #4
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Carmageddon (SCi Interactive) & Redneck Rampage (Xatrix) are instant classics, in you like a bit of raw action in your DOS games. (Hexen is fun, too !)

By the way, you could use one of the available frontends with the venerable DOSBOX, these make life a bit easier !
Old 15 March 2009, 01:28   #5
StarEye
Zone Friend

But it loses part of its charm. I like doing it the old way. Already have Redneck Rampage (disc only ) and installed that, but I only have Carmageddon II and Carmageddon TDR2000. Great games (C2 in particular is pure brilliance) - but unfortunately they're not DOS games. I will of course happily pick up the first game in the series if I see it.
Old 15 March 2009, 01:37   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

*cough* http://www.old-cans.com/en/carmageddon/
Old 15 March 2009, 01:41   #7
ancalimon
Supernormal

The sound can actually be made "much" better by downloading timidity++ from a Japanese site and also download a free soundfont to use with it. It's a simple process but you will need a small tool for Vista to direct midi sound to Timidity instead of Windows Midi.

Here is how to do it:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic....light=timidity

You will also need to edit dosbox.cfg to direct sound to timidity.

Last edited by ancalimon; 15 March 2009 at 01:51.
Old 15 March 2009, 01:44   #8
StarEye
Zone Friend

Ahem, thanks . (yarrr?)
^^ that was for TheCyberDruid

I'm quite happy with the sound for proper PC games, as long as I use Gravis Ultrasound or MT-32. I just prefer the recognizable Amiga samples in the Amiga versions of many games. Like I said, Monkey Island 1 and 2 sounds wonderful with MT-32.

Oh, I forgot, installed Normality as well! I never got to complete that game, now is my chance. I thought Sanitarium was a DOS game as well, but alas no. Luckily, and to my big surprise, the game runs flawlessly on my Vista 64. Quite odd, I think. Worms 2 wouldn't though.
Old 15 March 2009, 01:45   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

Small but good rpg games in the Zone just for you
Old 15 March 2009, 01:54   #10
StarEye
Zone Friend

Thanks, I'll be checking out all these newly acquired games tomorrow.

What kind of RPGs are they? Early Ultima style, EOTB style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
The sound can actually be made "much" better by downloading timidity++ from a Japanese site and also download a free soundfont to use with it. It's a simple process but you will need a small tool for Vista to direct midi sound to Timidity instead of Windows Midi.

Here is how to do it:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic....light=timidity

You will also need to edit dosbox.cfg to direct sound to timidity.
I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 15 March 2009, 02:00   #11
ancalimon
Supernormal

I found SGM2.01 soundfont to be the better one though it's rather large.

http://students.oamk.fi/~k4mala00/SG...1.sf2.only.zip
Old 15 March 2009, 02:06   #12
StarEye
Zone Friend

It is, but fortunately I have plenty of space. Thanks again.
Old 15 March 2009, 03:16   #13
s2325
Zone Friend

screenshots: http://xs537.xs.to/xs537/09116/rpgsmsdos947.gif
Old 15 March 2009, 09:40   #14
humble worm

I started with dosbox as i wanted to play cadaver and all I could get from planetemu in .adf was freezing on level 2 (bad crack or what). energy bar looks better in Dos version
I use Dosbox whenever I find Dos version of a game better then miggy one (check UFO Enemy Unknown, Dune 2). The one and only general con is sound but sound is least important ascpect of a game imho

Last edited by humble worm; 15 March 2009 at 10:08.
Old 15 March 2009, 10:01   #15
Sensi
Unregistered User

StarEye, if you wanna start collecting DOS games, get the the huge DOS Collection (8GB). You can buy it in most of the "stores."

Try Rex Nebular, Warlords 2, Jagged Alliance, Dungeon Master 2, Blackthrone and rest youll find on your own.

What display do you use? Its maybe why the games look how they look. Most of them were created in days when 14'' screens were standard.
Old 15 March 2009, 11:25   #16
StarEye
Zone Friend

I'm stuck with a shitty 22" LCD widescreen syncmaster from Samsung. Can't compare with the glorious CRT monitors from back in the days.

Anyway, I do remember the pixelized graphics bothering me back in the day as well, when I was with friends who had PCs. I preferred the Amiga look back then as well, in most of the games.

Oh, and in collecting, I want originals. But sure, "the other method" is a good way to see which games I should pick up.
Old 15 March 2009, 11:42   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Car boot sales are a great place to fing old Dos games It's a good idea to have a 'test version' first, to see if the game is worth it (except it's a real bargain of course ).
Oh and be sure to check 'Under a killing moon'
Old 15 March 2009, 13:40   #18
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Should I be ashamed?
Never. Keep your back straight! There's heaps of great DOS-stuff, both games and demos. I can recommend Deesbab by Orange from the latter category. And I always did love The Dig, what an awesome little game. Some people think it's too short. It is short, but I don't think it needs to be any longer than what it is. =)
Old 15 March 2009, 13:44   #19
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
I'm stuck with a shitty 22" LCD widescreen syncmaster from Samsung. Can't compare with the glorious CRT monitors from back in the days.

Anyway, I do remember the pixelized graphics bothering me back in the day as well, when I was with friends who had PCs. I preferred the Amiga look back then as well, in most of the games.

Oh, and in collecting, I want originals. But sure, "the other method" is a good way to see which games I should pick up.
Its the reason. Yes, PC and pixelization is well known fact but 22'' LCD doesnt make it better
17'' LCD are still in stores, I'm planning buy two, for future. I've got two CRT monitors, 14'' , both are almost dead

In that DOS collection is almost every DOS game from preWindows period, check it out, some old good pieces are there, you wont buy them in any regular store

Try:
Shanghai 2, Bolo, Quadrax, Incredible Machine 2
Space Hulk 2, Dungeon Keeper, Warcraft 2, Warlords 3, Battle Isle 2 or 3,Settlers 2
NHL Hockey, NHL Hockey 95-99, NBA Live 95, 97, 99
Magic Carpet 1,2, Outlaws
Earthworm Jim, Rayman, Bug!, Bug Too!, Bermuda Syndrome, Meat Puppet, Abaron
Wizardry 7, Ultima Underworld 1,2, Ultima 8
Harvester (if you are sick enough, avoid it if you are "ok" :-) ), Shannara, Orion Burger, Little Bid Adventure, System Shock, I have no Mouth and i must Scream, 3 Skulls of the Toltecs, Broken Sword

EDIT- one of those crt monitors is dead, rip

Last edited by Sensi; 13 May 2009 at 20:08.
Old 15 March 2009, 13:49   #20
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
I've got two CRT monitors, 14'' , both are almost dead
Why don't you get some high-end CRT monitor that costed thousands a few years ago and now cost peanuts?
Four years ago I've got meself a 21" EIZO FlexScan F77S for 200PLN including courier postage (around 40PLN) on Allegro.pl.
It allows up to 1280x1024 in 100Hz and 85Hz in 1600x1200.