English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 26 March 2015, 10:33   #1
attle

Blitz2: Compile & run from command line?

Does anyone know if it's possible to compile a blitz2 application from a script file or similar?
Old 26 March 2015, 21:19   #2
Cylon

Yes, i know it. The answer is: No, it is not possible. Try AmiBlitz3 instead. It is on the way to have a CLI-Compiler soon(?).
Old 27 March 2015, 14:29   #3
attle

Actually, it looks like it is possible! At least with blitz2 from the "Ultimate Blitz Basic" CD, I'm not sure about earlier versions. The SuperTED editor has a REXX port:

Code:
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; SHOWSCREEN"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; ACTIVATE"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; LOADNEW 'somecode.bb2'"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; COMPILE 'somecode.bb2'"
LOADNEW will actually load ASCII files as well, so you can easily code with another editor.

Thanks to idrougge for finding this There's more info in the Blitz2:REDhelp drawer.

Last edited by attle; 27 March 2015 at 14:45.
Old 28 March 2015, 00:32   #4
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by velourfog View Post
Actually, it looks like it is possible! At least with blitz2 from the "Ultimate Blitz Basic" CD, I'm not sure about earlier versions. The SuperTED editor has a REXX port:

Code:
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; SHOWSCREEN"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; ACTIVATE"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; LOADNEW 'somecode.bb2'"
SYS:REXXC/rx "address TED_REXX1; COMPILE 'somecode.bb2'"
LOADNEW will actually load ASCII files as well, so you can easily code with another editor.
Well done, but it is of course not the same as really compiling from CLI, as you have to run the complete Blitz suite to do so. TED is interweaved with the compiler; the compiler itself runs not from CLI without TED. And we are not talking about include files, compiler options (from ascii-files??) and so on yet. But i will give it a look as well, too!
Old 28 March 2015, 15:56   #5
idrougge

In a way you are both right, since you're not running the compiler from the shell, but TED. But it's quite a philosophical difference.
Old 22 May 2015, 15:28   #6
idrougge

I now have support for editing and compiling Blitz from TurboText up and running. Since TTX is now freeware, I have attached my entire installation.

Installation instructions:
1. You need the latest version of Blitz Basic 2, with SuperTED editor installed.
2. Make a TurboText drawer where you want it installed.
3. Unpack TTX_Blitz2.lha to that drawer.
4. Optionally, make a TurboText: assign to that drawer and add it to your path.
5. Start Blitz2.
5. Start TurboText from the Workbench or from the command line by entering "TTX source.asc".
6. If all works out, common Blitz keywords will be recognised as you type them, converted to proper case. If not, go to the Prefs menu and choose "Open definitions". Open the TTX_Blitz2.dfn file in TurboText:Support/.
7. Press F2 to fill out templates such as NEWTYPE or Function.
8. Finally, press F3 to send your source to SuperTED and compile it.
Attached Files
File Type: lha TTX_Blitz2.lha (377.4 KB, 291 views)
Old 24 May 2015, 02:10   #7
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I now have support for editing and compiling Blitz from TurboText up and running. Since TTX is now freeware, I have attached my entire installation.

Installation instructions:
1. You need the latest version of Blitz Basic 2, with SuperTED editor installed.
2. Make a TurboText drawer where you want it installed.
3. Unpack TTX_Blitz2.lha to that drawer.
4. Optionally, make a TurboText: assign to that drawer and add it to your path.
5. Start Blitz2.
5. Start TurboText from the Workbench or from the command line by entering "TTX source.asc".
6. If all works out, common Blitz keywords will be recognised as you type them, converted to proper case. If not, go to the Prefs menu and choose "Open definitions". Open the TTX_Blitz2.dfn file in TurboText:Support/.
7. Press F2 to fill out templates such as NEWTYPE or Function.
8. Finally, press F3 to send your source to SuperTED and compile it.
So, to make a conclusion, you are running the complete BlitzBasic2 suite in the background to enable "cli-compiling" and using another (better) editor for typing sourcecode? And the src integration needs (just) a few more steps to be the same as original?
Old 24 May 2015, 14:39   #8
idrougge

Is there any fault in this?

I've been trying to fix online help as well (check Support/TTX_Blitz2.dfn), but it stumbles on the fact that pasted lines aren't immediately tokenised by TED.
Old 25 May 2015, 16:34   #9
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Is there any fault in this?
I think he was just trying to confirm what you were doing. As it's working, I don't see any problems with it
Old 25 May 2015, 23:30   #10
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
I think he was just trying to confirm what you were doing. As it's working, I don't see any problems with it
No.
Note the emphasis.
So, to make a conclusion, you are running the complete BlitzBasic2 suite in the background to enable "cli-compiling" and using another... editor for typing sourcecode? And the src integration needs (just) a few more steps to be the same as original?
Old 26 May 2015, 15:14   #11
idrougge

I don't understand, what are you trying to confirm?
Old 13 June 2015, 02:15   #12
Cylon

Quote:
I don't understand, what are you trying to confirm?
I did not, actually, confirm anything. I've tried to understand and point out why you would recommend your setup to simply replace the editor, instead of enabling 'cli compile'.
You are not compiling from cli; you ran BlitzSSuite and on top of that you are using another editor for typing the sourcecode.
TED (and SuperTED) have their flaws but they are integrated and working. Nothing wrong with your work, but the post implies 'cli compiling' is possible. It is not afaik (e.g. C-like edit/compile/make toolchain).