English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 April 2015, 19:34   #261
s2325
Zone Friend

In Sky Fighter http://hol.abime.net/3677 at the start you have only 1 second to avoid first tower. Keep this game only for rare Chris Hülsbeck music.
Old 29 April 2015, 11:38   #262
ransom1122

I am replaying Saint Dragon at the moment, I can pass level 1 without dying. but level 2, OMG. How do you evade those flying boulders? they keep hitting me. Do you need to protect yourself in a bubble with your dragon tail? no idea?
Old 08 March 2016, 01:10   #263
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
Wizardry 6, BRAT.
Quote:
I recorded this video, because I couldn't find anyone completing even the first half of the first level! It's easy to see why. This is definitely one of the most frustrating and annoying Amiga games ever released. I was planning on completing the whole game, but after I noticed the second level was twice as long as the first one I realized how long it would take to get through the whole game and I'd rather shoot myself first.
This video demonstrates the first level and half of the second level completed, but also how and where to use each item in the first levels, something that other videos don't show. I didn't initially figure out where to use the lollipop in the first level, but used it in the second. The game has different themes for later levels, but at least the first few levels use the same one.
At first glance graphics, sound and gameplay appear OK enough, but the truth is revealed when you actually try to play it and major problems in the gameplay become apparent.
First of all the game is way too fast for the crappy control system so I had to play with half the normal speed (video is normal speed). But even if the game then becomes barely playable, there are still major problems with the design. First one has to do with scrolling. Screen constantly scrolls downwards and at the edge of the screen you die. Scrolling can be paused for a while with a command. This just makes the gameplay more tedious, when you have to place markers for pause scrolling and freezing the character so he will not go over the bottom of the screen and try to balance these actions while at the same time trying to tediously direct him. There are no shortcut keys for commands.
Extra difficulty for the controls is added by making it hard to see exactly where the mouse will place each command and at the same time the screen is scrolling and this often results in misplaced commands. Why didn't they at least make the cursor turn into a large red square or something when above a tile so the player would see where the command at least should be going if the scrolling doesn't screw it up!? Usually one mistake is enough to f*** up the whole level so even if you know the level by heart, there's a good chance a misplaced command will end the run.
Maybe they could've done the Lemmings thing and give the player control over the scrolling, but did a semi-Lemmings thing instead for purely novelty value? There's no other point for the encumbered controls. The idea behind Lemmings indirect control system is that it isn't possible to direct multiple characters at the same time. Or maybe they were just blind or didn't want to give the game for free to any dedicated gamer for playtesting?
This game did get relative good reviews and even now at Lemon the game has a rating of 7 / 10 from 45 voters! I wonder why, because nobody actually wants to play it. Anyone who's got through the first 2 levels deserves a medal! The ultimate troll is if you're doing extremely well and manage to complete the first half of the first level the character pulls down his diaper and wiggles his ass on your face. No wonder the developer Foursfield never released another game.
On the positive side, the game idea is not completely bad, although not nearly as interesting as Lemmings. The music isn't terrible either, but there's only one ingame tune for the whole game! Best part of the game is OK graphics and animation.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 March 2016, 02:38   #264
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Frenetic by core is damn annoying, perversely addictive but annoying. The greatest enemy is the damn screen scrolling- not as bad a game as I'd heard- some bad design decisions- player ship is too big and enemies move to the bottom of the screen too quickly. You can rarely kill a whole spread of enemies as they reach the bottom of the screen too fast.
Old 08 March 2016, 03:36   #265
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Wow.. I was playing Brat one of those days, had never heard about the game... I felt the game was really nice, but I was playing it so crappily, it really made me feel like "God, I suck!" It really frustrated me because I wanted to see more of the game, but couldn't beat the first level.

Now I see it wasn't just me.
Old 08 March 2016, 15:14   #266
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Rick Dangerous was mentioned quite a few times in the thread and for good reason:
it is the epytome of trial and error games, where basically your skills and reflexes are secundary, and you're overwhelmed while playing by the feeling that the "level designer" (well, most prolly the coder himself in those days) kept adding as many vicious, stupid, indetectable and totally random traps as he could on each and every screen, while grinning and drolling like the ghoul he was!!...
Clearly whoever was behind that hadn't the faintest idea what makes a game FUN to play.

Never was much a guy for punching the TV screen or slamming the stick in frustration, but I distinctly remember wishing with all my heart that the person responsible of all those trap ideas slowly and painfully DIED of early-onset of the most disgusting cancer imaginable (less impulsive and more cold-blooded sadist, that's all me for you!) everytime I kept trying merely to get killed some more by whatever springed up over the next 2 pixels I managed to make progress.

How anyone (I know there are some) could be able -- let alone willing! -- to face such a torture without MEGAtrainer (or regular trainer _AND_ state files resume!!!) and succeed is beyond me!
Probably what they call "hardcore gamers" (I'm all but one myself...)

So... Anybody knows whether the coder of Rick Dangerous is still alive and well? (Can't possibly be after the amount of cursing and evil spells I used to cast upon him!)
Old 10 March 2016, 12:00   #267
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Impossible jump, also in PC version:
Improbable, unlikely, but never impossible

Darkseed... I only completed this ONCE, and never again, cos the bloody guy i'm supposed to meet in Day 2 never show's up in my backyard at 6pm.

The watch is working and all, so missing something really obvious...

I'm starting to think i did something in wrong order. Its "impossible" (oh.. i mean improbable)
Old 10 March 2016, 12:44   #268
jotd
This cat is no more

I knew a guy would never saw Brat and could complete first level in one afternoon. It was also the same guy who could complete Xain (AKA Soldier of Light) arcade version and reach the last hidden planet.
I gave up on both games because they're so damn frustrating (and I completed a few arcade games with 1 credit so I don't consider myself a bad player).
Old 16 March 2016, 16:55   #269
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Risky Woods! Perfectly good game ruined by evil difficulty and unfair level design. It's almost as if the developers never wanted anyone to finish this game. Such a shame too becuase it has really nice graphics and sound, good arcade feel. But none of this matters becuase it's simply sadistic! What a waste, all that work for something that sticks its middle finger at you!
Old 16 March 2016, 23:37   #270
ZEUSDAZ

Ha, try Bad Cat, it earned a record 99 shits on my shit-o-meter under my "shit game time" section, the sounds of my frustration and anger prove my point, it REALLY got my blood pressure up big time!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 March 2016, 00:00   #271
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Ha, try Bad Cat, it earned a record 99 shits on my shit-o-meter under my "shit game time" section, the sounds of my frustration and anger prove my point, it REALLY got my blood pressure up big time!
[ Show youtube player ]
That looks amazing-ly shite. A fucking Cat-astrophe.

You should try "Bad Company" by logotron on Amiga 500. Iv'e no idea if its as bad as i remember but we used to play it back in the day just to mock it and have a laugh.
Old 17 March 2016, 12:37   #272
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Good god that's a whole new level of terrible!
Old 17 March 2016, 13:05   #273
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Good god that's a whole new level of terrible!
Told yer so ;-)
This is the ULTIMATE shit / frustrating game.
Old 18 March 2016, 00:31   #274
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
That looks amazing-ly shite. A fucking Cat-astrophe.

You should try "Bad Company" by logotron on Amiga 500. Iv'e no idea if its as bad as i remember but we used to play it back in the day just to mock it and have a laugh.

I kinda liked Bad Company, it had cool Cyberpunky character protraits and the perspective used in the game was seldom seen. Sound effects were meh but the musis was good. It's bad that it goes on endlessly without an ending but it still was fun for a while.
Old 18 March 2016, 21:14   #275
mutetus

Rick Dangerous with no doubt. One of the rare games, where even with save states, I feel like smashing something to bits after just few minutes. I would just like to see the designers try it out now and ask what the hell were they thinking
Old 19 March 2016, 03:02   #276
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
I kinda liked Bad Company, it had cool Cyberpunky character protraits and the perspective used in the game was seldom seen. Sound effects were meh but the musis was good. It's bad that it goes on endlessly without an ending but it still was fun for a while.
You could be right- Iv'e not played it since about 1992. Good god what a long time ago-

On a side not; going through whdload on my a1200 recently; well the Amiga sure had a ton of shit games, many you would not dream of playing nowadays- there are many good games too- but some have aged.
Old 01 September 2016, 23:24   #277
s2325
Zone Friend

In Knight Force enemies respawn almost instantly. Pits are partially obscured by other objects and you have only one life.
Old 02 September 2016, 01:11   #278
TroyWilkins

Syndicate mission 50 Atlantic Accelerator

I was never able to pass that one, the difficulty curve seemed to turn into a cliff - or maybe I just am no good at video games? Hahaha
Old 18 October 2021, 10:13   #279
kremiso

Diamonds (1988) Anco
https://hol.abime.net/350

now, this game should have 100 levels, and normally i cannot reach the second one !!!

even with infinite lives and time

awful short jumps and no shootings, now this is beyond frustration
i like the graphics of this little game and i would like to proceed into, but...

wondering if has been tested at all
Old 18 October 2021, 10:48   #280
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Risky Woods! Perfectly good game ruined by evil difficulty and unfair level design. It's almost as if the developers never wanted anyone to finish this game. Such a shame too becuase it has really nice graphics and sound, good arcade feel. But none of this matters becuase it's simply sadistic! What a waste, all that work for something that sticks its middle finger at you!

ah someone should redesign all the levels, then it would be a killer

Once in a while I forget it's so unfair and fire it, then I quit, unable to finish the first level or such...