English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 25 February 2018, 22:20   #441
DrFlo

"How are you starting the games? Just double-click on any? Scroll the list using <up> / <down> arrows.

LOL!
I am really not the brightest WinUAE-User .....
I thought pressing "start" would be a great idea to "start" a game. But now
I know this will not launch the configuration file .... it just starts the emulator

Now let the magic begin!
Old 25 February 2018, 22:24   #442
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFlo View Post
Now let the magic begin!
Old 25 February 2018, 23:22   #443
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFlo View Post
"How are you starting the games? Just double-click on any? Scroll the list using <up> / <down> arrows.

LOL!
I am really not the brightest WinUAE-User .....
I thought pressing "start" would be a great idea to "start" a game. But now
I know this will not launch the configuration file .... it just starts the emulator

Now let the magic begin!
Check out some of these games..

Alien Breed
Banshee
Shadow Warriors

You should see perfect full screen with correct aspect ratio. Looks amazing..
Old 26 February 2018, 19:14   #444
pitfall

I've already been able to try this wonderful collection of games ... and I only have two words .. im pressive. Thank you!
Old 26 February 2018, 20:02   #445
DamienD
Banned

Thanks pitfall for your comments and appreciation, enjoy my friend!!!
Old 26 February 2018, 22:49   #446
DamienD
Banned

I'm extremely sorry my friends... but given that a certain / private torrent site has been sharing my collection for 3 days now without my permission, despite me asking the admins to kindly remove (then subsequently banning me instantly), and it's looser members calling me a "criminal" for asking for donations when this money actually goes back into the Amiga community that I've been part of for decades / love i.e:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hmmm, this project has now been shared *free* for just over a week

In that time, I estimate that over 500 people now have a copy

...been thinking; going forward I will ask for £20 to be donated (except for EAB members who joined more than 6 month ago); peanuts really when you consider the years of work involved from Toni and myself for this collection

This means that I can then plough any money raised back into the Amiga community; as I usually do:

a) Support to RCK for hosting all "abime.net" resources like EAB / HOL / Amiga Magazine Rack / Amiga Games that weren't etc...
b) Support for Toni Wilen.
c) Support for all the numerous game creators / developers out there making new, cool stuff for our beloved computer.

Anyone that knows me can confirm that I am a man of my word and this will happen
Well, they've already got the mother load i.e. 12 years of my continued / hard / dedicated work... but, going forward, nothing more...

So, I've now had to remove all of the following from EAB in relation to my project:

a) Configuration fixes.
b) Game updates.
c) Game additions.
d) Title / Screenshot adjustments.

Again, I'm really sorry guys, not only is it a pain for you... trust me; it's a massive pain in the arse for me also

...but, very necessary

So, going forward if you want any fixes / updates / additions / adjustments to my collection that I've mentioned in the thread, you'll just have to PM me for the URLs instead of me being able to link in our forum

Don't worry, very soon I'll get back to business and start adding in many more games from my 500+ strong list (and there's still a few "AmigaCD --> HDFs" that need treatment)

Last edited by DamienD; 27 February 2018 at 13:15.
Old 26 February 2018, 22:52   #447
wiz12

Sorry to hear about that DamienD but that's the world we live in unfortunately. Too many greedy people out that won't acknowledge the work you put into this fine collection.

I'll send you a pm as I would like to keep it up to date and appreciate your collection very much.
Old 26 February 2018, 23:48   #448
Sinphaltimus

Old 27 February 2018, 00:10   #449
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Quote:
I'm extremely sorry my friends... but given that a certain / private torrent site has been sharing my collection for 3 days now without my permission, despite me asking the admins to kindly remove (then subsequently banning me instantly), and it's looser members calling me a "criminal" for asking for donations when this money actually goes back into the Amiga community that I've been part of for decades / love i.e:

Well, they've already got the mother load i.e. 12 years of my continued / hard / dedicated work... but, going forward, nothing more until the end of my life...

So, I've now had to remove all of the following from EAB in relation to my project:

a) Configuration fixes.
b) Game updates.
c) Game additions.
d) Title / Screenshot adjustments.

Again, I'm really sorry guys, not only is it a pain for you... trust me; it's a massive pain in the arse for me also

...but, very necessary

So, going forward if you want any fixes / updates / additions / adjustments to my collection that I've mention in the thread, you'll just have to PM me for the URLs instead of me being able to link in our forum

Don't worry, very soon I'll get back to business and start adding in many more games from my 500+ strong list (and there's still a few "AmigaCD --> HDFs" that need treatment)
This is understandable
Old 27 February 2018, 11:55   #450
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Damien, don't be discouraged by those who disrespect your hard work. It's appreciated. I know from experience how much effort goes into Amiga projects. The amount of work required is always underestimated.

There is often a sense of entitlement when it comes to the work of others in retro projects. The idea that those who haven't put any effort into something can act as a judge and arbitrarily override the wishes of the project creator are absurd.

And, yes, I understand that it's a collection of games written by other people but I'm talking about the endeavour of the project itself, including the screenshots, the configurations, the testing and everything else involved.

If you disagree with Damien having any moral rights at all then he might as well not have bothered with it or kept it private. This just discourages others from contributing to the community.

It's Damien's choice whether or not to ask for donations. Personally, I wouldn't have but it's not up to me.
Old 27 February 2018, 12:07   #451
DamienD
Banned

Thanks CodyJ

RE: asking for donations from non EAB members... This was done in order to try to use my project to start something good in the Amiga community i.e:

Quote:

Hmmm, this project has now been shared *free* for just over a week

In that time, I estimate that over 500 people now have a copy

...been thinking; going forward I will ask for £20 to be donated (except for EAB members who joined more than 6 month ago); peanuts really when you consider the years of work involved from Toni and myself for this collection

This means that I can then plough any money raised back into the Amiga community; as I usually do:

a) Support to RCK for hosting all "abime.net" resources like EAB / HOL / Amiga Magazine Rack / Amiga Games that weren't etc...
b) Support for Toni Wilen.
c) Support for all the numerous game creators / developers out there making new, cool stuff for our beloved computer.

Anyone that knows me can confirm that I am a man of my word and this will happen
As everyone on here knows; all donations so far have gone back into the Amiga community:

Quote:

An update regarding this...

So far about 20 people have donated totalling around £280; thank you kindly for this

I estimate that over 650 people now have my collection; well, people who I've shared the URLs with anyway...

<tough crowd>

So, as mentioned here, I've now donated €300 to RCK

...I think at the moment RCK needs this the most for investment in "abime.net" hosting infrastructure / running costs and hopefully this will assist with reducing:

a) Database errors.
b) Server too busy messages.
Old 27 February 2018, 14:49   #452
Sinphaltimus

So someone put a comment on my Youtube videos - I think my response is acceptable.

[ Show youtube player ]

So no one thinks this is a grab for clicks, here is my response along with the original comment.

Quote:

No Marcus Blackfellow you are incorrect.
You state:
"DamienD says he's getting too many PMs requesting download links and would like some help, so the amazing collection can now be downloaded at the <snip>."

This is absolutely false information. Let me tell you the truth. DamienD, an outstanding member of the Amiga community at EAB, (the active community that actually keeps the Amiga platform supported and makes collections like this available) has asked specifically for his work to not at all be shared or torrented publicly or privately. Unfortunately, people out there disregarded his wishes and began torrenting the collection.

DD has spent the last 12 years collecting, testing, screenshotting, configuring and building his collection for his own private use. He recently decide to share it with the community at EAB. Shared with over 200 downloads for a couple of weeks. Answering PM requests to get download links did indeed become a burden so he acknowledged two thing.

First, that none of his hard work would be possible without WinUAE and the community to which he belonged. And two, that he wanted to give back to the community in ways that mattered. SO, he began asking for 20 euro donations in order to get the download link and donate every penny he receives to the community that made it possible. And he has held true to his pledge.

But some people misrepresenting Damien's actions as some fool trying to make money on free stuff decided to be self proclaimed crusader's and start torrenting his collection.

While it's true WinUAE can be downloaded for free and every single game in his collection can be downloaded for free, you will not find a more complete AND stable collection with all the screenshots and configurations ready to go with an easy to use installer batch file. It was a huge effort to put it together on his part. And very awesome to release to the community, more so to collect donations for the community as a thank you.

So now that his collection is out there and being shared on torrent sites, he has decided not only to stop sharing publicly, but the collection will stay as it is. No more updates (with new, tested, stable and configured games with screenshots), no more support and no more sharing with people who simply have no love for the Amiga or the community and zero respect for the efforts of others who actually do things like this to not only entertain the community, but to help pay it back.

If you don't believe me, you can go to the source yourself.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90314

My experience? Before the donations were being asked for, he offered links via Private messages. I have slow internet and he immediately decided to send me, free of charge, a 16GB USB thumb drive overseas containing his collection. Didn't even ask me to cover the cost of the thumb drive or shipping even though I offered. a couple of weeks later, he announced his ambition with the donation requests for new people coming to ask fo the links. I already had the collection and donated anyway.

I consider him a friend, an "Internet Friend" sure, but a friend nonetheless. It's a shame that there exists people out there with an agenda to discredit, mislead and misrepresent DamienD. He doesn't deserve that from anyone, but such is life. Some folks take great pleasure in trying to ruin things for others. Life goes on, with or without great collections such as this one. And he is free to stop offering this to strangers, now only accessible, frozen in time, by the very same people who couldn't care less for the most part.
EDIT: I deleted this comment thread from my video for reasons that should be obvious,. There was concern about advertising how to torrent the collection in the above comments (SEE THE <SNIP>) so comment thread removed from youtube as well.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 February 2018 at 23:43. Reason: SEE EDIT note above
Old 27 February 2018, 15:26   #453
1time
Amiga Lover

DamienD; Dont let them get to you. The thing that will hurt the most is when they cant enjoy your next updated version

Again, awesome work and thank you!
Old 27 February 2018, 15:50   #454
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
So someone put a comment on my Youtube videos - I think my response is acceptable.

[ Show youtube player ]

So no one thinks this is a grab for clicks, here is my response along with the original comment.
Thanks my friend, greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to inform people of the real situation
Old 27 February 2018, 16:25   #455
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@Sinphaltimus :
Old 27 February 2018, 16:25   #456
Seiya

i'd like to say one things about this question: in the moment that DamienD decide to share his project, for the contents nature of it, he lost any right on it and people has the liberty to re-share all over the world this collection how they want: via torrent, direct download or any other way.

I have share many gamebase project and poeple are free to share how they want because i have no copyright on it.
the front-end is not mine, games are not mine, emulators is not mine, i have only the time to realise it, but it's a good time spent to preserve and to enlarge retro gaming fans.
Old 27 February 2018, 16:25   #457
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Thanks my friend, greatly appreciate your support and taking the time to inform people of the real situation
No worries, they brought the fight to my YouTube channel. And I'm going to discredit misinformation on my own channel. I'll keep his comment and my response available there as long as it doesn't turn into a shit show. If it does, I'll delete the comment thread, report the abusers and paste the truth in the video description itself (both videos). That's about as far as I can help.

As for moving forward, I think this topic here should focus on the collection and not the battle that rages on in a comment war. What's done is done and I think as a community, we should put this behind us and move forward with what the community does....support, share and expand upon the Amiga platform in all its shapes and sizes...

That's about all I have to say about that... <- In forest Gump's voice.
Old 27 February 2018, 16:34   #458
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i'd like to say one things about this question: in the moment that DamienD decide to share his project, for the contents nature of it, he lost any right on it and people has the liberty to re-share all over the world this collection how they want: via torrent, direct download or any other way.
Is that right is it?

First you have a go at me for creating this thread under this section i.e. see here, and now you make a statement like the above...

Sometimes you're a real joke Seiya
Old 27 February 2018, 16:35   #459
Dunny

I have started to source some older games that I loved as a kid. I'm using DamienD's configs as a template and following his screenshot ethos - I'll send them to DamienD for inclusion when I'm done. It's just a few games, but it makes the collection a little more complete
Old 27 February 2018, 16:50   #460
chip

I'm curious DamienD

Since you have played so many games, what's the number of total games around ?

HOL report a number of 6862 games

Do you have an idea of how many they can be in total ?