English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 January 2019, 11:19   #21
dragon57

Guess I need to be patient. Still no email from Cloanto.
Old 03 January 2019, 08:50   #22
Tarzin

No email too. I think I'll contact them directly.
I'm interested in full life option too
Old 03 January 2019, 16:08   #23
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Featured!
Old 05 January 2019, 03:14   #24
dragon57

I contacted them directly a couple of days ago, but still nothing. I guess they don't want my money.
Old 05 January 2019, 05:05   #25
Pyromania

Congrats CLOANTO on another exciting release of Amiga Forever.
Old 05 January 2019, 11:55   #26
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon57 View Post
I contacted them directly a couple of days ago, but still nothing. I guess they don't want my money.
Eh, they might give you a shout when their court case gets into full swing lawyers are expensive.
Old 08 January 2019, 08:04   #27
Deaths_Head

I really wish cloanto would port this software to Linux, I moved away from Windows years ago. Would be interesting to see how many Amiga fans moved to Linux rather than Microsoft.
Old 09 January 2019, 04:07   #28
R4M

You could try to run it with playonlinux. That's a wine frontend which runs WinUAE out of the box. So it's very likely to work.

I did in fact also move directly to Unix. I've had a Sun on my desk at work in '90. Love at first sight.

For emulation I use fs-uae, if precision isn't important and WinUAE under wine otherwise. Never seen a reason to use cloantos version of UAE, im still on version 2014.
Old 11 January 2019, 09:37   #29
Bugala

I think it is actually a bad move to offer that lifetime upgrade option, unless they have some plan that they can realise by getting lot of money quick. For basically while it is nice for us who have been every year buying the upgrade, it might be that already year later they might regret this offer when they notice sales of amiga forever 9 are much less than 8. Unless of course they have statistics there showing that most customers only buy at max 3 times the upgrade, in which case the lifetime option makes a lot of sense actually.

But basically I am worried that now they probably are getting at least some part of stable income from people like me who upgrade each year, but if i buy this lifetime option, which of course makes sense to me, they will lose that stable income.

I have actually been wondering wether I should even grab that lifetime offer or not, since I have been perfectly happy paying each year that upgrade, and would have been perfectly happy doing so in future too, but indeed, I would very much like to just pay one time off, and then just grab the updates from that day on.
Old 11 January 2019, 10:24   #30
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Once they lose the court case they will probably go bankrupt anyway, so it makes sense for them to milk the cow for all it's worth while they still can :-/
Old 04 September 2019, 21:31   #31
Crashdisk

Upgrading to Version 8 "R2":

Playback Window and Emulation
  • In the "R2" build, virtual keyboards further support multi-touch and snapping to the emulation window.
  • Added "CD Drive Control" menu (with Play/Pause, Stop, Forward, Rewind) to the CD menu of the playback window (these controls were previously listed under the Keyboard menu) for the CDTV system.

Title Editor
  • Added direct-attached disk support.
  • Extended ADF medium information (volume name, boot capability) is now displayed.

Player Interface and Options
  • Added changelog support to Setup Wizard, About and Updates Available dialogs.
  • Added "My Downloads and Keys" to the Help menu.

High-DPI and Variable-DPI Systems
  • Support for new or enhanced multiple-monitor and high-DPI features introduced in Windows 10 versions 1709, 1809 and 1903.

Other General Enhancements
  • New Setup Wizard, now also with Advanced Preferences.
  • Updated content and improved rendering of Tip of the Day items.

Developer Features
  • Added Game Controller Test dialog ("Help/Developer/Test/Game Controller" menu).

Bug Fixes
  • Smart File System (SFS) disks are now correctly identified as bootable.
  • Solved an issue on launching titles when the Amiga Files path contained Unicode characters.
  • Solved an issue launching standalone emulation apps (e.g. WinUAE), whereby the current ROMs could not be found if certain older paths were present in the registry.
  • The F3 key is now correctly displayed as F3 (and not F2) in some contexts (e.g. virtual buttons).
  • Corrected a bug that, in some circumstances, caused virtual keys to remain in the pressed state when multitouch input was processed.
  • Keyboard and game controller input now reaches the emulated system even after clicking in the docked virtual keyboard.
  • The Virtual Keyboard window is no longer open when starting an emulation session, if in the previous session it was closed using its title bar close button (and not from the status bar Keyboard menu).
  • Fixed a bug that prevented qualifier keys in the emulated system from being correctly released (e.g. '=' character generated with <Shift> on the PC keyboard, the '=' character available as unshifted in the emulated system, and the user releasing the PC <Shift> key first).
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Commit dialog with a prompt to reset the keyboard to default, when and AmigaOS 4 emulation session (using a non-default keyboard) was closed.

Last edited by Crashdisk; 09 September 2019 at 17:34. Reason: Update
Old 25 October 2019, 23:43   #32
Crashdisk

It is possible for a limited time (?) to obtain the "Amiga Forever 8 Value Edition" software for free...
https://shop.heise.de/id-15399
Old 27 October 2019, 12:02   #33
DamienD
Banned

Even if free; I have no use for this
Old 27 October 2019, 14:14   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

For the one who don't know, here is what is included in the Value Edition : https://www.amigaforever.com/value/
Old 27 October 2019, 15:45   #35
R4M

Actually, the heise.de downloadable archive also includes the files for an Amiga 1200 setup:

amiga-os-310-a1200.rom
workbench-311.hdf

Those do not seem to be accessible from the AF emulator, but you can load these into FS-UAE or WinUAE
Old 27 October 2019, 16:38   #36
Bodhi1969

Hi R4M, do you eventually have a link for this? Searching on heise.de didn`t show any results.

Last edited by Bodhi1969; 27 October 2019 at 16:43.
Old 27 October 2019, 16:44   #37
R4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi1969 View Post
Hi R4M, do you eventually have a link for this? Searching on heise.de didn`t show any results.
See post #32: https://shop.heise.de/id-15399
Old 27 October 2019, 19:23   #38
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
It is possible for a limited time (?) to obtain the "Amiga Forever 8 Value Edition" software for free...
https://shop.heise.de/id-15399
That's a great incentive to 'try it out'. I already have the pro version and find the set ups extremely handy for 'quick play' although, it would be great if they integrated FS-UAE to enable 'netplay' on AF in the future! I know that linking an actual Amiga to an emulated version is possible to play games, I believe there was a YouTube video of exactly just that.