English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 October 2020, 19:49   #181
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotareneg View Post
I'm confused, why would anyone want to play Quake 2 on ANY platform?
I take it Quake 2 wasn't popular? If it wasn't, I'd forgotten, and the gameplay seems to be a lot of fun so far, or at least, entertaining.
Old 25 October 2020, 21:10   #182
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
FS-UAE OS3.9 w/ AfA. P96, A4000/68040-NOMMU. 256MB chip/other. I found that I had to take the resolution down to 672 x 540 (as opposed to the 800 x 600 I get in AmiQuake I) to take care of audio lag and some freezing of frames at higher resolution.
Now this is when things start getting a little... meta..?
You're playing a PC game.. ported to Amiga.. in an Amiga emulator.. On the PC... With settings that no actual Amiga ever had?
It would be tempting to ask "why", but never mind :-)

What would be great btw, is if someone with a Warp 1260 could try this port.
(with a fast 060 obviously, but also using the RTG mode)

For me who like to make maps for Quake, it would be nice to have a new "stable" platform for map creation that will run on an Amiga without the severe limitations of the Original Quake engine. Its easy to forget how limiting it was until you play around and try to do "outside the box" designs and get it to run on WinQuake 1.09 (Sort of takes the fun out of map creation)
Old 25 October 2020, 23:48   #183
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I take it Quake 2 wasn't popular? If it wasn't, I'd forgotten, and the gameplay seems to be a lot of fun so far, or at least, entertaining.
Popular LAN game, but Unreal kind of overshadowed it.
Old 26 October 2020, 05:35   #184
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Now this is when things start getting a little... meta..?
You're playing a PC game.. ported to Amiga.. in an Amiga emulator.. On the PC... With settings that no actual Amiga ever had?
Actually, on a Mac, but no matter. The best answer to the eternal "why do that thing on (or in?) an Amiga emulator?" is always, "because I can" especially when it comes to doing it in Amiga OS3. The 2nd best answer is, "why not?"

Honestly, I have current, running games in Doom II, Duke, and Quake. It never even occurs to me that I'm playing in an emulator since the gameplay is as smooth and better than I remembered playing on a 486 or Pentium all those years ago, especially since I'm running them at higher resolutions than were possible on that old PC. Oddly enough, my hand-eye coordination at 59 is no longer what it used to be so there's that challenge.

Last edited by Weaselrama; 26 October 2020 at 08:22. Reason: change info
Old 26 October 2020, 12:13   #185
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Yes, the question which always amuses me to no end in these threads

As for Quake 2, it was a forgettable single player experience, but a revolution in multiplayer & modding scene, building on Quake's legacy. Not only via LAN, but also over the early Internet. I should know, because as an Q-addict at the time, I got my phone line cut off for the unpaid metered connection bills
Old 26 October 2020, 12:50   #186
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Yes, the question which always amuses me to no end in these threads
I'm no less amused by those who feel they need to make other contributors justify why what they use their Amiga for, whether it's real hardware or emulated, not to mention *how* they use it.

I use that much RAM because iBrowse is actually a pretty dependable browser if you're a news house like me and hell no, I don't turn pictures "off." It might be browsing like it's 1995 but except not being able to log into Google or watch Youboob vids, there's not a lot I can't do. I don't even use the experimental Javascript - I just don't seem to need it.

I spend more time on my emulated Amiga than I do on my Mac host.

The Amiga died in 1992 for all intents and purposes. The people keeping it going in its afterlife aren't those keeping real hardware alive. Without people like Toni Wilen and Frode Solheim, imagine just how few contributors there would be here if it weren't for UAE and the possibilities emulation affords us.
Old 26 October 2020, 14:25   #187
dreadnought

No need to get all sanctimonious. The "" ususally signifies that the quoted sentence wasn't entirely serious.

On the other hand, it is a little eyebrow rising, to have to jump through all these hoops just to play a game which would work much better straight from the desktop, ditto everyday programs. Hence the occasional rubbing.
Old 26 October 2020, 15:31   #188
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
No need to get all sanctimonious. The "" ususally signifies that the quoted sentence wasn't entirely serious.

On the other hand, it is a little eyebrow rising, to have to jump through all these hoops just to play a game which would work much better straight from the desktop, ditto everyday programs. Hence the occasional rubbing.
Except the rubbing really isn't appreciated when it's based on a bunch of assumptions that aren't very well thought-out in the first place. Jump through what hoops? It's really not that difficult to install AmiQuake 2 and copy over the game files. What hoops am I jumping through? I honestly don't get the comment.

I have a Mac. Have you seen what these games look like in GZDoom on a Mac? The players and effects look awful. If you want to jump through hoops, get Doom II or the new Blood: Fresh Supply, or any other 90s FPS running on Dapplegrey and/or DosBox. That said, I run Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Unreal Tournament in Windows 10 via VMWare. They run extremely well (as does Windows 10, for that matter). True, I could copy over my old 90s Doom, Doom II, Duke, Blood, and Quake to VMWare - but why, when they already run in Amiga OS3 via FS-UAE?

I have an old junk PC in the other room and a monitor I could hook it up to. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for either of them. The Mac gives me a lot of bang for the buck. It serves also as my Home Theater server via the AppleTV box.

I also run a lot of great vertical and horizontal shooters in Amiga OS3 and my current favorite is Turrican 3. The 16bit artwork is gorgeous. I honestly don't understand the elitism on EAB regarding running "real" Amiga hardware. It might not be a "real" Amiga but it really is Amiga OS3.
Old 26 October 2020, 16:12   #189
dreadnought

Quote:
. What hoops am I jumping through? I honestly don't get the comment.
This entire thread is about getting this game working on Amiga in some reasonable shape, including your comment about lag issues and resolutions. That's what "jumping through hoops" entails in my book. Meanwhile here on my PC you click on the icon and it just works, with crazy fps counts in high res. With added bonus of playing actual MP on the net (yes, some servers are still going on and I just played a quick deathmatch).

Admittedly I'm not aware of Mac scene, I just assumed that a game this famous and which has been ported to nearly every platform out there already, has a decent Mac port as well. If it really is easier to run it via Amiga, and the quality is really better this way, then you have my sincere apologies.

Quote:
I honestly don't understand the elitism on EAB regarding running "real" Amiga hardware. It might not be a "real" Amiga but it really is Amiga
Now you're projecting something that has zero connection to my comment and which I have never meant to say.
Old 26 October 2020, 16:30   #190
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
This entire thread is about getting this game working on Amiga in some reasonable shape, including your comment about lag issues and resolutions. That's what "jumping through hoops" entails in my book. Meanwhile here on my PC you click on the icon and it just works, with crazy fps counts in high res. With added bonus of playing actual MP on the net (yes, some servers are still going on and I just played a quick deathmatch).

Admittedly I'm not aware of Mac scene, I just assumed that a game this famous and which has been ported to nearly every platform out there already, has a decent Mac port as well. If it really is easier to run it via Amiga, and the quality is really better this way, then you have my sincere apologies.

Now you're projecting something that has zero connection to my comment and which I have never meant to say.
The Mac "ports" of those games are called running the original in DosBox (or using the additional Dapplegrey layer which makes setup a lot easier.). You don't get into actual ports until you're talking much more modern games, not that Doom 3 is all that "modern." GZDoom is a "port" but it has a lot of flaws. It's not really like playing the original. The later single-ports of the newer stuff were 32-bit and no longer work in 64-bit Mac. I had to pick-up where I left off from the Mac Port of Doom 3 and continue playing it through in VMware via Windows 10.

I can play Quake in FS-UAE at great framerates and at an acceptable resolution. No reason to re-invent the wheel elsewhere. It and the other games look as good in Amiga OS3 as they look on Youtube. I have Doom II running full-screen and it rocks. Quake 2? I watched a Quake 2 run-through on YouBoob and it didn't look that much more hi-res than mine but I admit I'm not as happy with the gameplay as when I first started playing it and actually progressing through the game. So if I really want to get into Quake 2, yeah, I might load it elsewhere.

The hardware-only comment wasn't intended for you.
Old 26 October 2020, 17:35   #191
James

Quote:
On the other hand, it is a little eyebrow rising, to have to jump through all these hoops just to play a game which would work much better straight from the desktop, ditto everyday programs.
If I'm using an emulated environment leaving that environment to run something is an extra hoop.

Quote:
Hence the occasional rubbing.
I hope you meant ribbing, otherwise that's sexual assault.

Quote:
This entire thread is about getting this game working on Amiga in some reasonable shape, including your comment about lag issues and resolutions. That's what "jumping through hoops" entails in my book.
Yes, because no PC user has ever had problems running Quake 2.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2320/...1865184290864/

This forum is full of threads with people having problems with software that others have had no issues with.

Quote:
Meanwhile here on my PC you click on the icon and it just works, with crazy fps counts in high res.
Wow, and you didn't even need to install it.

Quote:
Quake 2? I watched a Quake 2 run-through on YouBoob and it didn't look that much more hi-res than mine but I admit I'm not as happy with the gameplay as when I first started playing it and actually progressing through the game. So if I really want to get into Quake 2, yeah, I might load it elsewhere.
Cowcat's Quake 2 port is better for very high-end systems, but Wazp3D would be required for that...
Old 26 October 2020, 18:04   #192
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Cowcat's Quake 2 port is better for very high-end systems, but Wazp3D would be required for that...
I'll definitely check that out. I have Wazp3D but I've never used it (yet).
Old 26 October 2020, 18:19   #193
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Wow, and you didn't even need to install it.
Ah, James, old buddy. Still salty about that other Quake thread, I see?

But at least then you actually had some more-or-less valid arguments, here it's just a bit of lame playground-level tit-for-tat, and I see you have your grammar-Nazi pants on too. What happened? Posting in a hurry?

But, by all means, be my guest and continue insisting that playing Q2 on an Amiga, vs PC, is a better idea. It's quite entertaining
Old 26 October 2020, 18:35   #194
James

Quote:
I'll definitely check that out. I have Wazp3D but I've never used it (yet).
Just remembered that it does have a software driver, haven't used it much so don' t know how well it runs, but you might not need Wazp3d after all...

Quote:
Ah, James, old buddy. Still salty about that other Quake thread, I see?
I was beating you so badly on that thread that I started to feel sorry for you and decided to let you off easy.

Quote:
and I see you have your grammar-Nazi pants on too. What happened?
Sorry, but the idea of you rubbing people was just too funny.

Quote:
But, by all means, be my guest and continue insisting that playing Q2 on an Amiga, vs PC, is a better idea. It's quite entertaining
No, never said that...

Last edited by James; 26 October 2020 at 18:40.
Old 26 October 2020, 18:42   #195
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Let's not let the lesser point get lost in the broader scope of the comments. You're telling us that the two comments, yours and the other guys, were specifically about Quake 2 and we wouldn't be having this conversation if this were about some other mid-90s PC game played in UAE, especially when the other guy fired off a question on another thread asking whether anyone's played AmiQuake2 on an A1200 with a Warp 1260 and their experiences (and hence the comment which wasn't intended for you)?

What, it's more valid to play a PC game on a "real" Amiga but it's jumping through hoops to play it in emulation? This is why I get annoyed at these sorts of comments. They are generally ill-considered "friendly" jabs to the eye of people who try to get as much out of their Amiga, real or emulated, as they are able and understand more about what they have at their personal disposal than fellow contributors.

Last edited by Weaselrama; 26 October 2020 at 18:48. Reason: add info
Old 26 October 2020, 18:44   #196
trixster
Guru Meditating

Can people stop derailing a thread about NovaCoder’s AmiQuake2 port? All of this argumentative crap beyond boring.
Old 28 October 2020, 12:33   #197
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@Novacoder

I posted elsewhere that I was having some lag issues with AmiQuake2 in FS-UAE but this was after changing resolution in Quake II's settings without quitting and restarting the game - Doh! I was kind of disappointed but I wish I'd thought to restart it. I'm pleased to report that I can use the same resolution I use in AmiQuake, 800 x 600, and the gameplay is excellent and absolutely on par with AmiQuake. I get a bit of sound lag if things get busy, otherwise, it's not bad at all.

This probably doesn't mean anything in terms of performance on say, an A1200 with an accelerator but still, UAE emulation can be a tough environment for a game at times. I have contacted Michal @ Amitopia and I'm awaiting a reply regarding running this on his A1200 w/ the Warp 1260 card.

Thanks very much for your work on this port. With this, ODAMEX for Doom I/II, AmiDuke, and of course AmiQuake (RTG), I've got the best of the 90s PC games playing and playing well.
Old 09 April 2022, 19:24   #198
Nobby_UK

Just tried AmiQuake 2 AGA (Emulated)

Which (sort of) works ---

but I get a lot of unwanted messages
(about missing this + frames that -- See Log)

Also the player character keeps sheathing
and pulling out his weapon ?

And F5 = Quit ???

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 29 March 2023 at 17:37.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:05   #199
NovaCoder

That's strange, something is very wrong with your setup. The console should not be shown during gameplay.

Did you emulate it with an 060? Amiquake 2 is compiled for an 060 so running on an emulated 040 will cause problems.
Old 10 April 2022, 02:59   #200
Nobby_UK

040 indeed

If I did an 060 --- I'd have to mess around with the Library's ?