English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 27 November 2015, 22:24   #41
jotd
This cat is no more

I said that SWIV with 1MB would not work. On the other hand, with 2MB, avoiding flashes is possible, since it only needs 512K of saved mem + less than 1MB of disk data (but it's close!!)

Not sure if whdload loads as much as possible without PRELOAD. I remember having made a feature on JST to load small files or no files at all (HDLOAD, LOWMEM).

How much memory can you get ahold of when disabling everything? Can't get above 1,8Mb.
Old 27 November 2015, 22:34   #42
Retro1234
Phone Homer

SWOS v1.0 jst works on 2mb http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=976077#post976077
Old 27 November 2015, 22:52   #43
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, I'll check this SWOS version.

I am not sure how much memory I get exactly by disabling everything, but I believe it's in the 1.8mb range indeed.
Old 29 January 2016, 15:49   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
A Gotek is an OK solution for those without much RAM, if you can stomach the loading times and the clunky virtual "disk swapping".

But all those games that didn't run on A600s becaue of KS2+ won't run with Gotek. Rmember the other function of WHDLoad besides hard drive installaiton, is fixing of games so that they would run in newer KS configs and machines with more RAM or faster CPUs.
I now have a Gotek.. for some reason Relokick didn't work on my system (it gives me a Guru instead of loading a different kickstart), but everything I tried to run on it, so ran without problems. I was really expecting more trouble with KS 2.1, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

So right now I have either the option to use WHDLoad with low memory or the Gotek with KS 2.1 . With this combination, the only game I tried and couldn't find a way to work was Arabian Nights. It gives me a "not enough memory" on WHDLoad and I can't change disks on this particular game with the Gotek.

I am kinda satisfied. Still want to get some fast ram at some point, but right now I am pretty happy with my setup
Old 29 January 2016, 20:57   #45
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@shatterhand

I think you might be interested in AG-Launch - its very light weight - comes as standard with ClassicWorkbench 68k and will run a lot of multidisk games on a 2MB machine -

Have a read here

it has many options thanks to Bloodwych that allow it to run without loading workbench to save even more precious CHIP RAM.

Here is a old youtube I made of [ Show youtube player ]

I think this is right up your ally sir =)
Old 29 January 2016, 21:00   #46
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@shatterhand

I think you might be interested in AG-Launch - its very light weight - comes as standard with ClassicWorkbench 68k and will run a lot of multidisk games on a 2MB machine -

Have a read here

it has many options thanks to Bloodwych that allow it to run without loading workbench to save even more precious CHIP RAM.

Here is a old youtube I made of [ Show youtube player ]

I think this is right up your ally sir =)
This indeed is pretty cool.. but I am satisfied with loading games from the CLI , and it uses even less memory than any app would use I even changed my startup-sequence, so it loads nothing and goes stratight to CLI, but I have a small script on C that runs the normal S-S if I want to go to Workbench
Old 29 January 2016, 21:20   #47
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I am satisfied with loading games from the CLI , and it uses even less memory than any app would use I even changed my startup-sequence, so it loads nothing and goes stratight to CLI, but I have a small script on C that runs the normal S-S if I want to go to Workbench
Sorry to piss on your parade bro but the fact itself of opening an Intuition screen with CLI consumes precious RAM that sometimes can make a difference.

For example, when I had my 1MB A600 and I installed Turbo Trax (Arcane) in my hard drive, I had to boot straight to it on the startup sequence, without opening Intuition, or it wouldn't have enough RAM.

It would be great to have a version of WHDLoad that shows no splash screen, like the CD32 one, so Intuition isn't opened and some extra RAM is saved. At least as far as I know this is impossible, or maybe it does allow it if you have the registered version? No idea. But if you can boot to a WHDLoad install from startup-sequence without opening Intuition, you'll have a few extra KB to play with. You can even make a selective startup-sequence that depending on which key you press it loads a different game on boot, but if you press nothing it boots into Workbench, CLI or whatever you want.
Old 29 January 2016, 21:31   #48
jotd
This cat is no more

Jst can emulate whdload games, and does not have any splash screen.
Old 29 January 2016, 21:53   #49
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Sorry to piss on your parade bro but the fact itself of opening an Intuition screen with CLI consumes precious RAM that sometimes can make a difference.

For example, when I had my 1MB A600 and I installed Turbo Trax (Arcane) in my hard drive, I had to boot straight to it on the startup sequence, without opening Intuition, or it wouldn't have enough RAM.
Well, considering that AG-Launcher also needs to open Intuition and also uses some Ram itself, it's still better to just open the CLI.

I know I am losing some memory anyway, but I don't think there's any other way. I think with WHDLoad 18 this would be even more impossible ,since now the CUSTOM options are shown on the splash screen with a tickbox, so you can choose them before the game runs by clicking on them.

Just a few KBs less of free memory may turn the game in a OS-Flashing horror, I've noticed that, so it's obvious if we had some way to load stuff without the Intuition, it would be great.

I had zero luck with JST here, though I only tried games that weren't working on WHDLoad the first place.
Old 29 January 2016, 22:05   #50
Amiga1992

But did you try the LATEST version of JST which jotd released not long ago?
Old 29 January 2016, 22:28   #51
jotd
This cat is no more

Latest version supports a lot more whdload games (and I still have to apply more changes to support more games)

Which games did you try?
Old 30 January 2016, 13:20   #52
Wepl

Quote:
It would be great to have a version of WHDLoad that shows no splash screen, like the CD32 one, so Intuition isn't opened and some extra RAM is saved. At least as far as I know this is impossible, or maybe it does allow it if you have the registered version? No idea. But if you can boot to a WHDLoad install from startup-sequence without opening Intuition, you'll have a few extra KB to play with. You can even make a selective startup-sequence that depending on which key you press it loads a different game on boot, but if you press nothing it boots into Workbench, CLI or whatever you want.
You can use splashdelay=0 to avoid it. So no screen etc. will be allocated.
Old 30 January 2016, 14:36   #53
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
But did you try the LATEST version of JST which jotd released not long ago?
Not really. And I just tried a few games to be honest. I'll give it a proper spin late.
Old 30 January 2016, 21:18   #54
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
You can use splashdelay=0 to avoid it. So no screen etc. will be allocated.
Great to know, i wasn't sure. That's great! Try it out, Shatterhand.
Old 31 January 2016, 12:33   #55
jotd
This cat is no more

I was wondering: are there some 2MB chip A600s out there?
My question is there because my CD32Load proggy supports a lot of whdload slaves and is now able to load from IDE harddisk. You need 2MB straight chipmem ATM, but maybe that can be improved.
(in the zone)
Old 07 February 2016, 10:50   #56
clownstyle

I'm in a similar situation. Although I have a 4Mb fastram board from Kipper2k.

What would be my best option of loading my games from CFcard? I ask because of the mention of JST, something which I've not heard of. Can anyone explain what this is?

AG launch I have used before in the past and it worked well

Also have xbench but not sure if that is using some of my precious memory
Old 07 February 2016, 23:18   #57
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I was wondering: are there some 2MB chip A600s out there?
You mean you need the full 2MB?
All my Amigas have 2MB of RAM, I am sure they would run CD32Load perfectly from HD.
Old 08 February 2016, 02:22   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

My A600 is 2mb chip, 0 mb fast
Old 08 February 2016, 03:17   #59
TjLaZer

I tried AGlauncher on my A1000 with 512K chip ram and it didn't really help much having it reboot with RAD: was hoping I can load some of the games that required 512K of chip ram didn't run from work bench, even though I have an ACA 1233 with 128 megs of fast!
Old 08 February 2016, 13:53   #60
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
My A600 is 2mb chip, 0 mb fast
I`m in the same boat with my A600. 2MB Chip. I was on a mission to install as many games as possible on the CF, I have a selection of WHDLoad games that just about work in its limited memory. The rest of the stuff is using normal HD installers from floppies.

I was very surprised to find so many games I could install using the standard hd installers, when you start searching on HOL there's loads, and for games you thought wouldn't even have them.. Deathbringer, Nova 9, Alien Breed Tower Assault, Kid Chaos..

Then you have the obvious multi disc games like, monkey island, beneath a steel sky..And not forgetting the single disk games you can install by just dumping the contents into a HD directory..