Yes 36 50.70%
No 35 49.30%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 January 2009, 00:31   #21
Paul_s

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz@Retro Gamer View Post
hi everyone, Im looking into which retro gamers do and don't buy the magazine and would be interested in your feedback.

If you don't buy Retro Gamer, what is it that you'd want to see each month to make you purchase it. If you do buy the mag, what do you like/dislike about it.

I'm trying to work more closely with the bigger communities so any help you can give will be grreatly appreciated.
Hello Daz

I've been a subscriber now for around a year and a bit..

Likes;

Interviews with game designers
Hardware Retro inspections
Back to the Nineties/Eighties bits
'The making of' sections
Quality of the magazine

Dislikes;
Why get rid of the old style listings in the back - enjoyed that!
Crossing over the boundaries from Retro to newer gaming platforms
Those crappy t-shirt adverts in the back that make you look like a puff
Where are the women in bikini's modelling the old hardware on Retro inspections?
Collectors Corner - used to be 2 page spread.. now actually a corner!
Needs to have MORE content to cover the major platforms..
'Things to look forward to' section.... New games? No! We want new old retro hardware being remade

Overall though it's a good/decent magazine. Just needs a bit more sugar/papyrus...

Last edited by Paul_s; 27 January 2009 at 00:37.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:13   #22
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
yes it was crap and it still is crap, but if it was all you had you loved it, you hugged it and you called it George.
shit machines still make good games - look at the Wii
I appreciate people who had one loved it, but for the rest of us who didn't, we just stand there shaking our heads thinking: "are they for real?"

It's fair enough that people loved it, but I don't want to pay to read for the one millionth time about manic miner or jet set willy. There are too many other great retro games and platforms that are completely ignored by retrogamer so they can waste more ink circle jerking each other off about the speccy.
Old 27 January 2009, 07:47   #23
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
I may even subscribe at some point.
They were running an offer (not sure if they still are) where you could subscribe for three issues for £1, a real bargain. Something I took full advantage of.

Oh and threads merged.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:19   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm with THB I hate speccy too. Overrated piece of junk!
Old 27 January 2009, 13:54   #25
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
To be fair to the speccy, it wasnt all bad for the time. The Amiga was a piece of crap before 1990. Playing some of the earlier games via whd - makes me wonder how the amiga got popular in the first place, most of the games would seem like poor speccy ports.
Old 27 January 2009, 14:05   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Not after they printed an article with someone pretending to be me. Well sort of.
Old 27 January 2009, 14:41   #27
chiark
Needs a life

And that's their fault? Have you contacted Daz?
Old 27 January 2009, 14:47   #28
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
To be fair to the speccy, it wasnt all bad for the time.
Yeah it was, absolute garbage. Atari 8-bit, c64, MSX, cpc, sega yeno and even the apple II were superior. No wonder you slag pre 1990 amiga games such as defender of the crown, speedball, stunt car racer, hybris, it came from the desert etc... you have no taste, spectrum lover!
Old 27 January 2009, 14:51   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
No wonder you slag pre 1990 amiga games such as defender of the crown, speedball, stunt car racer, hybris, it came from the desert etc... you have no taste, spectrum lover!
Ah thanks THB I would have made such a list later on (maybe I'll add some games )
Oh : Second that
Old 27 January 2009, 20:09   #30
Daz@Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not after they printed an article with someone pretending to be me. Well sort of.
If we've done something to offend you then please get in touch.

In the meantime you may all be interested to heard that there's a lookback at the history of the Amiga range of computers in issue 62.

I can appreciate that a lot of you are only interested in the Amiga, but we do need to try and make the magazine as balanced as possible. Having said that we've had some interesting features pitched recently included a look at various FPSs on the system (homebrew and otherwise) so who knows what will happen.

The simple fact of the matter is that if we're not sent amiga based pitches then they won't often appear in the magazine.

Still I appreciate all the comments so far and will take it all onboard.
Old 27 January 2009, 20:24   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz@Retro Gamer View Post
If we've done something to offend you then please get in touch.
Heh, its nothing that serious. A long time ago I had lots of people emailing me congratulating me for appearing in RetroGamer and they thought the interview and article was cool.

Now I wondered what they were talking about having never given an interview, assumed it would be about Thalion and went and bought the issue.

However it turned out that they were talking about an interview with an "un-named" person about the game Starfox 2!

I dont remember reading all of it and I cannot remember the details but I remember it was quite eerie when reading it! So close to what happened it was just plain freaky. Like someone had read my diary. The people who emailed me knew the "inside story" about SF2 and mistook the Anonymous guy for me.

There is really only one other person it could have been... but I was surprised that he would have had the time for retro or been able to discussed it, even anonymously, given his position.

Either that or there is someone out their taking credit for something they had no real part in.

Last edited by alexh; 27 January 2009 at 21:55.
Old 27 January 2009, 21:47   #32
pubzombie

I also enjoy Retro Gamer for what it is; a nostalgia trip . when it turns up on my door mat I get the same excited feelings i used to get when I used to run down to the news agent to get Crash and Zzap64 on my lunch break when i was a kid in the 1980s. I am happy to read about a broad range of games/machines and I love the interviews. I would like to have more of those.
Old 28 January 2009, 23:15   #33
blackcornflake

I pick up a copy every so often - keep my eye in, as it were - as I'm pretty much semi-retired as a retro gamer. It's certainly handy for APoV layout ideas...

The mag is entertaining, if a touch broad-brush (inevitable for a magazine that attempts to cover such a wide range).

I assume that many game company profiles and interviews have been (and continue to be) done, and that almost all retro machines have been covered in some way. By all means, keep the software house retrospectives coming.

A series of articles I'd like to see would focus on the other elements of the industry, like magazines and retailers. Assuming, of course, that the people who were involved at the time can be found, insider snippets from these different perspectives could be quite fascinating.

Apologies if the above has already been done: I'm not a regular reader
Old 28 January 2009, 23:29   #34
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I like the magazine and I do buy it every so often - obviously it would be great to see a bit more Amiga stuff in it though... how about a feature where you trace rare games that no one can remember - just as an example... how about Scavenge - a rare Amiga PD game from around 96 that I cant find anywhere!

I think that would be a great feature for the magazine.
Find that game and I will subscribe.
Old 28 January 2009, 23:56   #35
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
how about Scavenge - a rare Amiga PD game from around 96 that I cant find anywhere!
Sorry for the Off Topic. Scavenge seems to be on the following disk: Berliner Spielekiste Extra 112.

Hopefully it's the game you're after but unfortunately I'm unable to find this file anywhere
Old 29 January 2009, 01:45   #36
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Cheers for the lead Damien - I am going to go mad trying to find this game!!!
Scavenge by James A. Wright - if anyone can help...

Sorry for off topic... (Maybe Retro Gamer can help... :-)
Old 29 January 2009, 08:23   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Peter,

on this site : http://www.amigafuture.de/kb.php?mode=article&k=2966 there's a complete listing of all the Berliner Spielekiste Extra disks. AndreasM is also a member here and maybe he can help you to get the game
Old 29 January 2009, 11:21   #38
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks TheCyberDruid, I will continue my hunt in this direction!
Old 29 January 2009, 19:53   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Hi Peter,

on this site : http://www.amigafuture.de/kb.php?mode=article&k=2966 there's a complete listing of all the Berliner Spielekiste Extra disks. AndreasM is also a member here and maybe he can help you to get the game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Thanks TheCyberDruid, I will continue my hunt in this direction!
Before posting last night I did *quickly* check through most of the "Spielekiste" download pages at AmigaFuture... There were disks Spielekiste 001 - Spielekiste 935 (725, 726, 743 and 755 are missing). I couldn't find any of the "Extra" ones though.

In TOSEC "Commodore Amiga - Public Domain Collections - Berliner Spielekiste (TOSEC-v2005-11-19_CM).dat" there are only:

... Berliner Spielekiste Spielekiste 001 - 614 and 936
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 05 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD).adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 05 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 10 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD).adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 10 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 11 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[b].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 12 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 13 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 16 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 19 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 21 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 22 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 25 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 26 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)(Disk 1 of 3)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 26 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)(Disk 2 of 3)[BSKCD].adf
... Berliner Spielekiste Extra 26 (19xx)(Berlin PD)(De)(PD)(Disk 3 of 3)[BSKCD].adf

You may be best off PM'ing AndreasM to see if he has Berliner Spielekiste Extra 112 somewhere
Old 29 January 2009, 20:01   #40
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I appreciate people who had one loved it, but for the rest of us who didn't, we just stand there shaking our heads thinking: "are they for real?"

It's fair enough that people loved it, but I don't want to pay to read for the one millionth time about manic miner or jet set willy. There are too many other great retro games and platforms that are completely ignored by retrogamer so they can waste more ink circle jerking each other off about the speccy.
LOL you do have a point there. I liked the speccy coz it was all i had until i got an expanded Vic20 and then a C64. I still emulate it occasionally but only play a very few games. I would like to see in-depth interviews with the early programmers of speccy games because they were the foundations of a very innovative British software industry. They will help us create an historical record of the birth of the industry we have today. However, I still believe Chaos by Julian Gollup was one of the best games ever made, call me crazy and poke me in the eye with a rubber keyboard. but I play it on Gp2x firmware not under emu these days