English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 11 January 2018, 18:26   #1
MickGyver

Any way to get a list of AREXX commands available for a program?

Hi! Is there any way to get a list of AREXX commands available for a program? I'm trying to automate Blitz Basic 2 but I don't have a list of commands so I'm fumbling around in the dark. Grateful for any insight!
Old 11 January 2018, 18:56   #2
jPV

Yes there is, the "HELP file/A" ARexx command.

The trick is that you'll have to give it the output file where the help text goes, without the file argument it won't print it to shell or so.

For example, to get ARexx commands of AmIRC saved to the ram:bla.txt file:
rx "ADDRESS AMIRC.1;HELP 'ram:bla.txt'"
Old 11 January 2018, 19:48   #3
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Yes there is, the "HELP file/A" ARexx command.

The trick is that you'll have to give it the output file where the help text goes, without the file argument it won't print it to shell or so.

For example, to get ARexx commands of AmIRC saved to the ram:bla.txt file:
rx "ADDRESS AMIRC.1;HELP 'ram:bla.txt'"
First of all, thank you for your help!

I had my hopes up but problem is that the help command doesn't seem to do anything. I address TED_REXX1 (which I know is correct) and then HELP "RAM:bb2.txt". Maybe it's not implemented for SuperTED in Blitz Basic 2...
Old 11 January 2018, 22:13   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchmaster View Post
Hi! Is there any way to get a list of AREXX commands available for a program?
No, there isn't, unless the program implements its own way.
Old 11 January 2018, 23:14   #5
daxb

Normally there is a list of commands with description in the program's documentation. So, you need to find it.
Old 12 January 2018, 01:13   #6
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchmaster View Post
Hi! Is there any way to get a list of AREXX commands available for a program?
No, unless the author implemented it (which most authors didn't - why should they?).

But the commands are of course listed in the binary. You can load the program's binary into a hex editor or a text editor that doesn't care about ascii vs. binary (like CygnusED) and simply search for a command you already know - it should be right next to all the other commands. If you don't know any commands, just try obvious candidates ("open", "tofront"...).

This won't let you know about any parameters these commands might need though.

Quote:
I'm trying to automate Blitz Basic 2 but I don't have a list of commands so I'm fumbling around in the dark. Grateful for any insight!
I would have assumed BlitzBasic documentation is available online in some shape or form. Did you try checking EAB FTP server?
Old 12 January 2018, 02:20   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
No, unless the author implemented it (which most authors didn't - why should they?).
Why shouldn't they? It is a standard command, any style-compliant program with an ARexx port should support it.

To quote from the official Style Guide:

"The following commands are the minimum commands that your application should support...HELP provides access to information about your application. Information about things such as the supported functions and parameters required for functions should be readily available...HELP should present the user with a text list of all the commands that the application supports."
Old 12 January 2018, 07:43   #8
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Why shouldn't they? It is a standard command, any style-compliant program with an ARexx port should support it.
Yeah, and all the programs I tried before I made my post did support it (just few programs I had running: AmIRC, OWB, Poseidon, Magic Beacon, MUI Console... and also IBrowse which I started just for extra test), so I would assume that a commercial program like Blitz Basic should also support the official commands.
Old 12 January 2018, 09:22   #9
idrougge

The documentation for SuperTED is buried somewhere in Blitz:SupportSuite
Old 12 January 2018, 09:58   #10
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Normally there is a list of commands with description in the program's documentation. So, you need to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The documentation for SuperTED is buried somewhere in Blitz:SupportSuite
Thanks! I found it now, I wasn't looking good enough. REDHelp/SuperTED/SuperTED.guide. I was looking there earlier on the Amiga but all icons in that directory were stacked on each other, feel stupid about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
But the commands are of course listed in the binary. You can load the program's binary into a hex editor or a text editor that doesn't care about ascii vs. binary (like CygnusED) and simply search for a command you already know - it should be right next to all the other commands. If you don't know any commands, just try obvious candidates ("open", "tofront"...).

This won't let you know about any parameters these commands might need though.
Good to know thanks! I tried it out and yep I can see the commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post

To quote from the official Style Guide:

"The following commands are the minimum commands that your application should support...HELP provides access to information about your application. Information about things such as the supported functions and parameters required for functions should be readily available...HELP should present the user with a text list of all the commands that the application supports."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Yeah, and all the programs I tried before I made my post did support it (just few programs I had running: AmIRC, OWB, Poseidon, Magic Beacon, MUI Console... and also IBrowse which I started just for extra test), so I would assume that a commercial program like Blitz Basic should also support the official commands.
I guess ACID Software didn't follow the style guide. According to the now found documentation, there is a HELP command but it's dodumented to do this:
Code:
HELP will display the standard help line on SuperTED's screen title.
This is the same as pushing the HELP key
Old 12 January 2018, 15:28   #11
daxb

My experience is that if a program support ARexx then it is documented in it's documentation. If you want to use the ARexx port then you must read it. Similar to Amiga ARexx manual book. Without reading it will be hard to handle ARexx.
Old 15 January 2018, 22:39   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Maybe this link can be of any help (chapter 28 of the reference manual ?).