English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 July 2011, 16:34   #21
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
[...] we are not going to "center" the display (which is impossible), only trying to exactly position it, just like on real TVs.
This is obviously great and will lead to WinUAE being more accurate than ever. I love your work.
What I find "ugly" is the display difference from 2.3.2 beta 7 and 8... wouldn't it be easier for you and for now (a compromise, while continuing searching for the "best" possible display centering) to revert some of the changes made to beta 8? If this will not mess some other fix you made, of course.
Old 17 July 2011, 16:39   #22
AmigaFriend

Display -> Centering -> check Horizontal + Vertical

Filter -> from Default to No scaling centers the screen

Old 17 July 2011, 16:52   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
This is obviously great and will lead to WinUAE being more accurate than ever. I love your work.
What I find "ugly" is the display difference from 2.3.2 beta 7 and 8... wouldn't it be easier for you and for now (a compromise, while continuing searching for the "best" possible display centering) to revert some of the changes made to beta 8? If this will not mess some other fix you made, of course.
Only change in that version is D3D becoming default. Switch to DirectDraw + none filter to get old behavior back. Everything else has been the same for years..

EDIT: This is difficult to fix now because it would break all configurations with non-default filter setup..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 17 July 2011 at 18:49.
Old 17 July 2011, 19:52   #24
Supamax

Quote:
Only change in that version is D3D becoming default. Switch to DirectDraw + none filter to get old behavior back. Everything else has been the same for years..
Thanks!
(I didn’t pay attention to the DirectDraw/Direct3D setting)

Ok, I made some tests... these are the results:
a) Graphics API set to Direct3D ---> the display is right shifted, no matter if the Filter is set to "none" or "null filter"
b) Graphics API set to DirectDraw ---> the display is not right shifted if the Filter is set to "none". If it's left to "null filter" (the default setting) the display is right shifted.

Quote:
EDIT: This is difficult to fix now because it would break all configurations with non-default filter setup..
no problem... now I/we know how to get the display as it was in previous releases, so take your time (or don't fix it at all...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Display -> Centering -> check Horizontal + Vertical
Thanks xpect, but there’s no need to set that (see above).

Last edited by Supamax; 17 July 2011 at 20:01.
Old 17 July 2011, 21:01   #25
sink

supamax: in windowed or fullscreen mode, and what resolution you use? cuze for me that don't fix the stuff (it's noreally important but it's for just to know).. thk!
Old 17 July 2011, 22:34   #26
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink View Post
supamax: in windowed or fullscreen mode, and what resolution you use?
Windowed, 720 x 568.
It's the default setting (I never changed it).

Did you set the Graphics API to "DirectDraw" and the Filter to "none"?
(Important: "none", not "null filter")
Old 17 July 2011, 23:07   #27
sink

ho thk , i know why now 'cauze i'm in 768x576.. with 720x568 that work! thk again
Old 17 July 2011, 23:25   #28
Supamax

You're welcome .
Old 19 July 2011, 19:39   #29
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Monitor with adjustments makes the test instantly invalid. Only way to test this is to use few old 4:3 CRT TVs (and hope their adjusments haven't drifted too much).

Note that TV overscan area (image area that is hidden under bezel) can be 5-10% of whole display area, depending on TV.. There is no 100% exact settings just some average.

-> Only way to confirm this once and for all is: everyone who have old 4:3 CRT TV, boot some "standard" boot disk to (for example some WB disk, boot to shell. MUST be confirmed identical image!), measure size of "border" area (each side) and size of display area. We don't need absolute units, just percentage of each border compared to cli window size, for example.

Collect and analyze the results.
Is this still needed? I have access to a few CRT TV's and can do some verification of the border sizes with my A1200/060 connected to them.

To be sure on the procedure to do the measurements: I'll be booting into CLI from the Amiga Early Startup Control (holding both mouse buttons at power-on / reset) and choosing 'Boot With No Startup-Sequence', while I have one of my WB 3.0/3.1 disks inserted in DF0? Please confirm.