TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks for the info.
Old 29 July 2011, 12:03   #22
JHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
He said in interviews he captured them all from a Korg M1
The M1 came out in 1988, the same year as the Vangelis album. I'm sure I've seen pics of Whittaker playing one, and I've seen pics of Huelsbeck's studio where he had the rackmount version and the slightly later Wavestation A/D which has a lot, if not all, of the same waveforms (I have the SR version). It was a recent pic, but he must have had the M1R when working on the Amiga. The M1 choir sound is instantly recognisable from a lot of Amiga tunes, as well as being on Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence', and the brass is quite distinctive also.

You can hear demos of a lot of its presets here:

http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm

I've mainly heard 70's Vangelis, (and the 1492 soundrack which I bought after getting a JD-800 which I heard is used a lot on there) but I should get that album too.

The Roland D-50 (1987) must win the prize for the most easily recognisable synth ever though - those presets get everywhere, especially the early series of Star Trek Next Generation.
Old 29 July 2011, 12:24   #23
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
The M1 came out in 1988, the same year as the Vangelis album. I'm sure I've seen pics of Whittaker playing one, and I've seen pics of Huelsbeck's studio where he had the rackmount version and the slightly later Wavestation A/D which has a lot, if not all, of the same waveforms (I have the SR version). It was a recent pic, but he must have had the M1R when working on the Amiga. The M1 choir sound is instantly recognisable from a lot of Amiga tunes, as well as being on Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence', and the brass is quite distinctive also.

You can hear demos of a lot of its presets here:

http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm

I've mainly heard 70's Vangelis, (and the 1492 soundrack which I bought after getting a JD-800 which I heard is used a lot on there) but I should get that album too.

The Roland D-50 (1987) must win the prize for the most easily recognisable synth ever though - those presets get everywhere, especially the early series of Star Trek Next Generation.

Have a listen to 'Jon and Vangelis - Private Collection'' too. Some beautiful Yamaha CS-80 on there... 'Horizon' is phenomenal... god I love the CS-80. Such a raw, expressive yummy sounding piece of engineering.

The D50 is a lovely synth too, can't go wrong.... I used to own a JD-800

Now you got me looking for an Oberheim OB-8 (another fave) Oooh and the Roland VP-330, the strings on that thing are insane (Blade Runner anyone?)

Last edited by Paul_s; 29 July 2011 at 13:03.
Old 29 July 2011, 14:15   #24
JHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Have a listen to 'Jon and Vangelis - Private Collection'' too. Some beautiful Yamaha CS-80 on there... 'Horizon' is phenomenal... god I love the CS-80. Such a raw, expressive yummy sounding piece of engineering.

The D50 is a lovely synth too, can't go wrong.... I used to own a JD-800

Now you got me looking for an Oberheim OB-8 (another fave) Oooh and the Roland VP-330, the strings on that thing are insane (Blade Runner anyone?)
Just ordered the Jon and Vangelis, and 'Direct'. I have the CS-80 softsynth - never seen the real thing, but I'm sure the softsynth is like WinUAE compared to a lovely expanded hardware Amiga. Probably more so since Amigas don't have knobs and sliders.

The OB-8 being used by Nik Kershaw is enough to make me want one!
Old 29 July 2011, 18:47   #25
Castelian

Being a big Vangelis fan I'm disappointed I didn't recognize the similarity earlier. I mostly listen to Cosmos and 1492 soundtrack.
Old 30 July 2011, 00:16   #26
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
Just ordered the Jon and Vangelis, and 'Direct'. I have the CS-80 softsynth - never seen the real thing, but I'm sure the softsynth is like WinUAE compared to a lovely expanded hardware Amiga. Probably more so since Amigas don't have knobs and sliders.

The OB-8 being used by Nik Kershaw is enough to make me want one!
There's a rare video on Youtube which formed part of a documentary on Vangelis in the early to mid 80s'. Part of it shows him doing a demo on the CS-80;

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 July 2011, 18:58   #27
laffer
Zone Friend

One thing there can be little doubt about is the game over tune in Beast 2 is 'inspired' (pretty much taken directly) from a tune that's played in a Miami Vice episode.
I've posted about it before, so if any of you didn't already know it by then, you probably already knew it by now... but I figured maybe there are some people still unaware... here is a link to the (by now pretty old) video I made about it -

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 October 2011, 19:56   #28
gibs
Banned

There's no link between the Shadow of the beast *musics* and the Vangelis one.
The only link is the ambiance...
Old 22 November 2011, 17:10   #29
Snyfls
Heavy Metal Hamster

Bad Boys Blue and SOTB III

[ Show youtube player ].

[ Show youtube player ].

Last edited by Snyfls; 09 January 2016 at 15:05.