English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 June 2017, 13:39   #1
IvanEBC

Amiga Explorer Missing Icon

Hiya Folks

I setup and used Amiga Explorer once some time ago, after that initial time i reinstalled windows 10 and it wasn't reinstalled straight away, so i downloaded it again and installed it.

I recall the part where i had to right click the desktop icon to make most of the setting changes, like speed and which com port.

I found though, that this time, installing AE ... it will NOT give me the desktop icon, thus i cannot adjust the settings required to create the link. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail.

How do i get this desktop icon back so i can adjust the settings?
Odd Behaviour to be sure.

Thank you.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 June 2017, 13:43   #2
Sinphaltimus

You might have hidden the desktop icon in Windows settings. Just Google hide explorer icon on desktop and you'll find what you need to turn it on.
Old 19 June 2017, 14:31   #3
IvanEBC

No i don't think it is that but i found this...

http://www.amiga.org/forums/archive/...p/t-52490.html

Guy apparently unticked the "show icon on desktop" even after reinstall, its gone... his method to get it back doesn't work cause he said he reenabled in the "options menu" but there is no options menu, only a standard windows folder options which has no tick box for switching the icon back on. I need to find a way to invoke the actual amiga explorer exe proprieties so i can switch it back on.
Old 19 June 2017, 14:47   #4
Sinphaltimus

If your looking at the shortcut properties then he just needs to click on open file location in the shortcut properties.
Old 19 June 2017, 15:25   #5
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
If your looking at the shortcut properties then he just needs to click on open file location in the shortcut properties.
That doesn't work....firstly, its not a shortcut it creates (i've got it here on another PC but it can't stay in this room with the Amiga).
Amiga Explorer is basically a program on the desktop, you can't right click and get properties.

On the PC where it stuffs up, i can "search for amiga exploerer" and open the file location, that leads me to a start menu shortcut, where the target is this
C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,::{1E0F3F10-3036-11D1-A4CF-00A0C94203AE}

so it is just opening explorer from windows.... so i thought - be clever, create the shortcut on desktop, edit target to match - it will create it as such that double clicking it will try to open amiga explorer but it is unconfigured, and right clicking to use "setup" or "properties" just gives the regular icon properties of windows.....

This isn't a simple solution, i'm not missing something here, even the reg entries of AE shown in that above post, i have wiped after an uninstall to make sure its gone and GONE! but somehow the icon still won't come back after a reinstall.

Also, since it is creating some special custom icon, no, i can't even cut and paste the icon fromt he other PC as the "cut" option is gone....
Old 19 June 2017, 17:21   #6
Sinphaltimus

I see. Yeah, I use AE as well but have hidden the icon from my desktop using other methods so when I do a locate program on disk I actually get the original icon on my desktop but it is only viewable via an explorer window that opens up using that method.

Was just trying to narrow down the issue. I'm beginning to think there might possibly be a registry entry that can be edited. Try searching the Windows registry for the folder key in your shortcut. {1E0F3F10-3036-11D1-A4CF-00A0C94203AE}
Old 20 June 2017, 04:03   #7
IvanEBC

Quote:
I see. Yeah, I use AE as well but have hidden the icon from my desktop using other methods so when I do a locate program on disk I actually get the original icon on my desktop but it is only viewable via an explorer window that opens up using that method.

Was just trying to narrow down the issue. I'm beginning to think there might possibly be a registry entry that can be edited. Try searching the Windows registry for the folder key in your shortcut. {1E0F3F10-3036-11D1-A4CF-00A0C94203AE}
Yeah went down that path too, did my search and looked for some type of "ShowDesktopIcon" that might be a DWORD 0 and hoped to switch it to 1 to fix it, but nothing obvious i could see
Old 20 June 2017, 04:09   #8
IvanEBC

Quote:
I just want to comment on this too seperately ... on the laptop that DOES have Amiga explorer on the desktop, if i open file explorer and locate desktop, i see all my desktop icons but NOT amiga explorer... so even when it is working, this method doesn't work for me.

That laptop is a basic laptop with no real adjustments or customisation, so i can't work out why that icon isn't there in file explorer while i'm looking right at it next to the window on my desktop!
Old 20 June 2017, 09:08   #9
IvanEBC

I absolutely kid you not .... my computer got left on overnight, did a few jobs today, come home and was catching up on some work and i look across and the Amiga explorer icon is there!!! It has literally performed a magic trick and is now there!!
While that's great, it is even more of a WTF moment than i have ever encountered..... its right where the next icon should appear as well, so i definately didn't miss it and done no work trying to get it up and running since last nights messages.
Old 20 June 2017, 11:19   #10
Sinphaltimus

You're welcome. Lol, j/k. Wow, that's some spooky stuff you got going on over there. Get Out.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 20 June 2017 at 12:17.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:04   #11
zipper

Sometimes the icons are just out of sight and need refresh to come visible.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:17   #12
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Sometimes the icons are just out of sight and need refresh to come visible.
I'm wondering if a reboot was in order.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:42   #13
mcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I just want to comment on this too seperately ... on the laptop that DOES have Amiga explorer on the desktop, if i open file explorer and locate desktop, i see all my desktop icons but NOT amiga explorer...
It would not be on the desktop though, but in the tree view (View/Navigation Pane, or View/Explorer Bar/Folders, on older versions of Windows), possibly towards the end of the list. Did you have a look there as well?
AdSense AdSense