English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 23 May 2017, 22:36   #1
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Floppy disk Optimised Theme for Classic Amigas

Hello I was just wondering if any thought has been put into having an EAB theme that is optimised for classic amigas running Amiga OS3.x on IBrowse on standard PAL/NTSC screens. I love browsing EAB on my A1200 but it's slow and looks broken with the EAB2 and 3 skins and the mobile skin is way too bare bones.
Nightfox is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 May 2017, 22:47   #2
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,314
Your browser and computer are bare bones, so don't expect anything better than the mobile skin for performance.
Akira is online now  
Old 23 May 2017, 23:34   #3
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Your browser and computer are bare bones, so don't expect anything better than the mobile skin for performance.
I don't mind sacrificing a bit of performance for a lightweight skin that looks nicer than the mobile theme
Nightfox is offline  
Old 31 May 2017, 12:58   #4
RCK
Administrator

RCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Paris / France
Age: 39
Posts: 2,856
Hum, I don't think we will find something between EAB2 and Mobile skin, sorry.

But I have one question, vBulleting creator have left years ago to create a new modern forum call XenForo. I was wondering if their default skin was working well on Amiga, could you try for me ?
Can you see this page and posts ?
https://xenforo.com/community/forums...-questions.47/
RCK is offline  
Old 31 May 2017, 22:27   #5
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Hum, I don't think we will find something between EAB2 and Mobile skin, sorry.

But I have one question, vBulleting creator have left years ago to create a new modern forum call XenForo. I was wondering if their default skin was working well on Amiga, could you try for me ?
Can you see this page and posts ?
https://xenforo.com/community/forums...-questions.47/
I would if I could but even after downloading the latest AmiSSL, when I click on the link it just pops up with a message saying this website uses an SSL encryption not supported by IBrowse. Only the IBrowse team can update their supported encryptions but it doesn't look like they will be releasing another update.

I tried removing the s to make it http but it just jumped into the https version. If there is a plain http site using that system then I will be able to test it... unless there's another solution to fixing this SSL issue?
Nightfox is offline  
Old 01 June 2017, 19:46   #6
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,752
If you can live without gfx stuff then just disable it with IB + wacl.conf like I did. It looks bad but works and is much faster.
daxb is offline  
Old 01 June 2017, 21:31   #7
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If you can live without gfx stuff then just disable it with IB + wacl.conf like I did. It looks bad but works and is much faster.
I love my gfx too much to disable it haha. What we need is a theme with lightweight gfx and fully supports native PAL/NTSC screen resolutions. The current non mobile themes are a bit too wide
Nightfox is offline  
Old 01 June 2017, 21:47   #8
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
I would if I could but even after downloading the latest AmiSSL, when I click on the link it just pops up with a message saying this website uses an SSL encryption not supported by IBrowse.
Try this:
Code:
makedir env:amissl
setenv amissl/ssl_client_version tls1
copy env:amissl envarc:amissl
Don't stick this in the startup-sequence, just type it in the command line (needs to be done only once). This solved the problem for me.
Thorham is offline  
Old 01 June 2017, 22:26   #9
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Wow thanks a lot! Now SSL sites work for me!

That site loaded and the forum there looks great on this Amiga! If somethinhg like that could be added here then that would be perfect. The only issue I found is it took very long to load the page, although it being an SSL site may be the main cause for this slowdown, although it did say it was processing a lot of javascript.
Nightfox is offline  
Old 26 June 2017, 00:56   #10
RCK
Administrator

RCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Paris / France
Age: 39
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
That site loaded and the forum there looks great on this Amiga! If somethinhg like that could be added here then that would be perfect. The only issue I found is it took very long to load the page, although it being an SSL site may be the main cause for this slowdown, although it did say it was processing a lot of javascript.
One day, we will have to move out from vBulletin, and xenforo is currently my best option because it's the same guys behind the software.
It's a good news for me that those kind of forum are working on Amiga

Here is another Xenforo board without SSL, if you can try and tell me if it's slow or not it would be nice
http://gbatemp.net/forums/
RCK is offline  
Old 26 June 2017, 01:32   #11
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
One day, we will have to move out from vBulletin
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Here is another Xenforo board without SSL, if you can try and tell me if it's slow or not it would be nice
http://gbatemp.net/forums/
It's usable with IBrowse on a 50 mhz 68030. Layout isn't as good as EAB.
Thorham is offline  
Old 26 June 2017, 10:34   #12
RCK
Administrator

RCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Paris / France
Age: 39
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Why?


It's usable with IBrowse on a 50 mhz 68030. Layout isn't as good as EAB.
Thanks for report Thorham

Why ?, because I'm forced to push Debian server update to apply security fix on crucial component (Apache, MariaDB, SSH, etc), and PHP version are updated (5.5 -> 5.6 -> 7.0) on each new Debian release (every two years).
Our current engine of vB3 won't support php7 for example, so one day, I will have to choose between security fix on server side, or changing forum software (because newer vBulletin version sucks).
RCK is offline  
Old 26 June 2017, 13:15   #13
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
That page does work, although for some reason most of the images don't load for me. Also because the main page is very large and full of JavaScript, the page loads slow but the subthreads and smaller pages load at a decent rate. I'm using an 030 @ 40Mhz
Nightfox is offline  
Old 26 June 2017, 17:05   #14
apex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amigaplanet
Posts: 310
a1k is running into the same problem. We already bought XenForo playing around with it.
apex is offline  
Old 02 July 2017, 20:51   #15
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
The forum on amigaworld.net not only loads fast in IBrowse but looks beautiful. Maybe use whatever they are using?
Nightfox is offline  
Old 02 July 2017, 22:11   #16
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,314
Is xenforo supported by Tapatalk? I know a lot of us like to use Tapatalk, and I would think that is a bigger priority than running on crappy old Amiga browsers.
Akira is online now  
Old 10 July 2017, 17:25   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam/Netherlands
Age: 41
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is xenforo supported by Tapatalk? I know a lot of us like to use Tapatalk, and I would think that is a bigger priority than running on crappy old Amiga browsers.
Perhaps, but somehow something seems wrong with an Amiga forum not supporting Amiga browsers
Thorham is offline  
Old 10 July 2017, 22:01   #18
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,314
Actually, what is wrong, is an Amiga browser not supporting Amiga forums
Akira is online now  
Old 11 July 2017, 19:05   #19
Nightfox
Registered User

Nightfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 217
Well since IBrowse is no longer in development and a better equivalent of IBrowse is probably never going to be made, the responsibility of the forum being compatible with Amiga should rely on the website itself.
Nightfox is offline  
Old 11 July 2017, 19:06   #20
tolkien
AmigaMan

tolkien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Castro Urdiales/Spain
Posts: 456
Ibrowse is still in development. You can see the changelog in its website.
tolkien is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programming on Classic Amigas A420X Coders. General 4 09 February 2011 07:56
dwindling classic Amigas Oscar Castillo Amiga scene 8 04 January 2009 01:17
FS: Theme Park (strategy classic) ungi MarketPlace 0 26 March 2008 22:42
Linux for (classic) Amigas macce2 Amiga scene 24 28 June 2007 23:40
Current market value of classic Amigas Galaxy MarketPlace 22 21 November 2004 16:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.26363 seconds with 14 queries