English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 November 2020, 21:37   #101
d4rk3lf

If you ignore lot's of disk swapping, Mortal Kombat 2 on the Amiga is masterpiece.
You will need like 1 minute of waiting until round starts, but once it starts, it's great experience. No slow downs, lot's of cool moves, graphics looks amazing for 16+16 colors.

I've never been bothered with 1 button controls, and can execute pretty much every move, special, or Fatality.
I also played Mk2 on Snes and Sega. These are also great ports.
On the arcades, in the city where I lived, there was only Mortal Kombat 1, but I've played 2 on the Mame.

You can tell that the AI is pretty much copy paste from arcade to Amiga.
Old 28 November 2020, 00:15   #102
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
If you ignore lot's of disk swapping, Mortal Kombat 2 on the Amiga is masterpiece.
You will need like 1 minute of waiting until round starts, but once it starts, it's great experience. No slow downs, lot's of cool moves, graphics looks amazing for 16+16 colors.

I've never been bothered with 1 button controls, and can execute pretty much every move, special, or Fatality.
I also played Mk2 on Snes and Sega. These are also great ports.
On the arcades, in the city where I lived, there was only Mortal Kombat 1, but I've played 2 on the Mame.

You can tell that the AI is pretty much copy paste from arcade to Amiga.
I am excited to try it! Was it available for the A500 back in the day? But after I do some more MK1 rounds. WHD load surely a little quicker experience now?

I played MK2 only on MD, but hey I don't need a MD I have an Amiga 2 Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Amen to that!
It just worked for me with those games for some reason! But If I play DOOM i need the buttons. But for fighting games, jeeez louise I don't need multiple FIRE buttons I'd rather do positional sequence and then press fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I loved MK on the Amiga back in the day, i never played the console port only the arcade. However MK2 is even better, i absolutely loved that game and played 100s of hours on it. Can never get the WHDload version working on my A1200 though, grrrr.

I only played/viewed the SF2 demo on Amiga Format or CU Amiga coverdisk and just thought WTF is this lol.
I even liked that slow as hell game but hey as I mentioned, Shadow Fighter was a fucking masterpiece in my humble not well informed about the technical side of things opinion. The 3d effects kind of backgrounds just make the game look insanely gorgeous and surpass SF2.

But I still enjoy the slow SF2 as that is what I adapted to playing those years ago and learning the way the game behaved allowed me to get used to everything.

MK1 I am impressed with, it feels arcadey esque to me! I want to play it a lot more with some other characters before I move on to MK2.
Old 28 November 2020, 01:06   #103
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I am excited to try it! Was it available for the A500 back in the day? But after I do some more MK1 rounds. WHD load surely a little quicker experience now?
But of course
I play it from time to time on my A500 with Aca500+ and CF card.
Loads instantly, and great experience.
And yes, it was available back then for regular A500 with 512k expansion.
Original was 3 disk, and cracked version was 4 disks.
Lot's of disk swapping.. but what you can do... not much more disk swaping then Street Fighter 2, though..

If you like Mortal Kombat 1 already, Mortal Kombat 2 will make your jaw drop to the floor.
Old 28 November 2020, 03:46   #104
NovaCoder

I never had a SNES or a Genesis growing up (never had an Amiga either come to think of it LoL).

Anyway I've now got the chance to explore the entire back catalogue of SNES/Genesis games on at CRT at a crisp 640*480 with no scalling artifacts and Amiga games at 50 Hz.

I've been very impressed with both the Genesis and the SNES games, they have aged very well. I think certain types of games were better than what the Amiga 500 could do and the Amiga 500 was better at others.

It mostly comes down to the control scheme with a six button controller vs a 1 button joystick for some games (eg fighting games) and a six button controller vs a mouse/keyboard for others (eg flight simulator, adventure game).

So now I have an Amiga AGA/RTG machine and a Genesis and SNES all in one box.... perfect
Old 28 November 2020, 13:49   #105
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I never had a SNES or a Genesis growing up (never had an Amiga either come to think of it LoL).

Anyway I've now got the chance to explore the entire back catalogue of SNES/Genesis games on at CRT at a crisp 640*480 with no scalling artifacts and Amiga games at 50 Hz.

I've been very impressed with both the Genesis and the SNES games, they have aged very well. I think certain types of games were better than what the Amiga 500 could do and the Amiga 500 was better at others.

It mostly comes down to the control scheme with a six button controller vs a 1 button joystick for some games (eg fighting games) and a six button controller vs a mouse/keyboard for others (eg flight simulator, adventure game).
It's funny I just have zero interest in those consoles. The only one I went out of my way to experience again was the NES believe it or not. It was my first trip into emulation. I played some great games on it and then that was that!

I agree with you, Amiga probably better at some things and MD and SNES better at others. I see it this way, Amiga wasn't just designed for games so on the whole it's a computer and not a single dimensional device. But both had their pros and cons when it comes to the games. I personally think the Amiga when done right could produce equally as good games in many departments where the consoles were regarded as better.

But anyways, the consoles never had the appeal to me and I feel more myself owning an Amiga. Weird? Well there you go.

It's funny some games with the single button I just have to have them stay that way, WHD offers a lot more button support for some games and I find myself just going back to the single button control on some of them. Others however I enjoy the extra button. It just depends on the game I guess.

Alien Breed is nice with the extra button, and Wolfchild, but New Zealand story, well nope I don't seem to like that one with two buttons. Oddly as well I actually use a playstation pad with analogue sticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
But of course
I play it from time to time on my A500 with Aca500+ and CF card.
Loads instantly, and great experience.
And yes, it was available back then for regular A500 with 512k expansion.
Original was 3 disk, and cracked version was 4 disks.
Lot's of disk swapping.. but what you can do... not much more disk swaping then Street Fighter 2, though..

If you like Mortal Kombat 1 already, Mortal Kombat 2 will make your jaw drop to the floor.
Hell never mind disk swapping! I was so familiar with what was on what disk I pre-empted the disk swap notification and I was able to speed things up myself

I will let you know when I venture in Mortal Kombat 2