English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 16 January 2011, 09:34   #1
lolafg

Yes !! listen music with Amiga is possible !!

Just to let you know that not only .mod can be listened with Amiga ,

if you have some mp3 , just convert them with GOLDWAVE wich support Amiga .iff in mono and at 28khz and you'll be surprised by the result !!

Thanks to Dlfrsilver from Amiga Museum

Last edited by lolafg; 16 January 2011 at 11:01.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:22   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

28kHz perhaps is what you meant?
Old 16 January 2011, 11:00   #3
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
28kHz perhaps is what you meant?
yes 28khz
Old 16 January 2011, 13:07   #4
daxb

At least an A1200 can handle 16bit 44kHz stereo (aiff, wav, ...). So you don`t need to go down to 8svx. Of course file size is larger.
Old 16 January 2011, 13:46   #5
Cammy

Does anyone know of a program that can play streaming 8SVX or WAV files on a 68000 Amiga?
Old 16 January 2011, 15:20   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

ProTracker?
Old 16 January 2011, 16:03   #7
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

On the stores does exists any hardware for A1200/A600 that can permit us to listen mp3 without any conversion?
Old 16 January 2011, 20:33   #8
daxb

Play16 should run on 68000. Requirements are: Kickstart/Workbench 2.04

For mp3 there exits the MasPlayer hardware or differnt soundcards support it.

68000 version of Play16 has dropped with V1.9, so the last 68k version is 1.8. However, there are a lot of sound file palyer on aminet. For example if you need a GUI then HippoPlayer would be nice.

Last edited by TCD; 16 January 2011 at 20:37. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 16 January 2011, 22:39   #9
Cammy

daxb, can you please send me your working 68000 version of Play16 please? You don't think I would have asked this question if there was something on Aminet I could use, do you?
Old 16 January 2011, 22:58   #10
daxb

Sorry, I don`t own older versions. Maybe the author can help you: http://www.toms-home.de/index_e.html
Old 16 January 2011, 23:23   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

@Cammy,
I have uploaded to the Zone Matt Cartlidge's Huge Base V2.1b distribution disk, which contains Play16 v1.6.

Huge Base Copyright notice:

Quote:
Copyright

These copyright guidelines apply to Huge Base V2.1b FREEWARE ONLY.
Huge Base is now freeware. As from September 1 1996.
Huge Base is NOT a commercial package.
Huge Base (all versions) is Copyright © 1996 Matt Cartlidge. Huge Base may be distributed as long as all of the following conditions are true :-
All of these files are kept together and remain UNCHANGED apart from compressing.
  • Huge_Base (actual program)
  • Instructions (document)
  • Read_me! (document)
  • Example databases, including :-
  • Tracks.HB2
  • Discs.HB2
NOTE that any copy found with altered documents, programs documents or databases are breaking the guidelines.

Huge Base may NOT be uploaded onto ANY BBS or contained on ANY COMPILATION in which copyright is claimed on ALL of the files

Any guidelines from previous versions do not effect this version if they are different

PPMore, ReqTools.library and PowerPacker.library are all Copyright © Nico François.

FastView V2.0 is Copyright © 1995 John Hendrikx. FastView can display IFF (.iff), JPEG (.jpg), GIF (.gif), PCX (.pcx) and BMP (.bmp) images.

Play16 is Copyrighted Freeware by Thomas Wenzel. It is freely distributable as long as the program and the document supplied remain unchanged. Play16 is capable of playing WAV (Microsoft RIFF-WAVE), VOC (creative voice), AU (sun/NeXT Audio), MAUD (MacroSystem audio), AIFF (Apple/SGI/Amiga AIFF), and Amiga IFF-9SVX files. Play16 can also play most RAW audio waves. See the full documentation to Play16 in the C: directory of the disk that Huge Base is contained on.

I have chosen FastView V2.0 and Play16 V1.6 for inclusion as they are the best programs of their type that I have seen. If you think you can do better, send me your versions!

In no way am I trying to claim ownership of programs, libraries or other files supplied with Huge Base apart from Huge Base itself, its documents and its databases.
Ref: http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/hbcopy.html

Last edited by prowler; 16 January 2011 at 23:33. Reason: Reference added.
Old 17 January 2011, 00:10   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Okay, I've found Play16 v1.8 archive which contains the latest 68000 version.

Uploading it to the Zone now...

Edit: Zoned!
Old 17 January 2011, 13:19   #13
Photon

Just a side note, on converting to 8 bit GoldWave adds distortion to the end of the sample (song). This can make fadeout endings of songs sounds much more distorted than in other Wave editors (or Sox, which I use). So add a few seconds of silence to the end before resampling.

I use Foobar2000/Save As .wav for a bunch of songs. Then the songs can be batch-converted to 8 bit with a Sox commandline.
Old 20 January 2011, 00:34   #14
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Does anyone know of a program that can play streaming 8SVX or WAV files on a 68000 Amiga?
Hippoplayer streams samples and plays mod files on 68000 amigas. There are kickstart 1.3 and 2.0+ versions. It has a playlist and features like most mod players and should be all that you need. It can also play as a background process without showing a GUI if necessary. I'm not sure if it handles WAV files natively - probably not.
Old 20 January 2011, 02:53   #15
Cammy

Thanks Prowler, I have installed Play16 000 on my A600 and it works. Unfortunately the 22kHz 16bit Stereo .WAV files I have sound terrible through it. Perhaps it's because it resorts to "Half playback rate on". Through any player on the A1200 they sound beautiful. They're just some tracks I ripped from my CDs through a Linux program. I think I'll need to find something that can rip to IFF for the PC, hopefully Aros has something. Then I'll just rip them again to 8bit 8SVX. I'd rather use something like HippoPlayer with its playlist anyway.
Old 20 January 2011, 12:01   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It can seem not related, but has any noticed the difference listening music with the sheilding on and with it off?
I was using AmigaAmp to listen Mp3, and it was playing great. Recently I've taked off the shielding and it sounds very bad.... is it just me or has any noticed it?
Old 20 January 2011, 13:10   #17
daxb

The problem/limitation is the hardware (68000 and Paula). Natively you can play "only" 8bit 28kHz stereo. 16bit needs hardware extension (soundcard, masplayer). Without (not natively) 14bit 56kHz stereo is the maximum. That needs faster CPU and (recommended) CyberSound calibration (see Play16 archive). However, Play16 and HippoPlayer are the best programms for that. A must-have IMHO. Best solution is a good soundcard and a decent CPU.
Old 20 January 2011, 19:45   #18
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
It can seem not related, but has any noticed the difference listening music with the sheilding on and with it off?
I was using AmigaAmp to listen Mp3, and it was playing great. Recently I've taked off the shielding and it sounds very bad.... is it just me or has any noticed it?
Unless you hear a clear difference, you have RF interference, the shielding is there to block that out. Better test your ears by putting the shielding back on if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Thanks Prowler, I have installed Play16 000 on my A600 and it works. Unfortunately the 22kHz 16bit Stereo .WAV files I have sound terrible through it. Perhaps it's because it resorts to "Half playback rate on". Through any player on the A1200 they sound beautiful. They're just some tracks I ripped from my CDs through a Linux program. I think I'll need to find something that can rip to IFF for the PC, hopefully Aros has something. Then I'll just rip them again to 8bit 8SVX. I'd rather use something like HippoPlayer with its playlist anyway.
Likely, it will not be 16-bit out to the speakers Probably due to how well the code is implemented, the rate becomes 11kHz, which is starting to affect the quality - even though it's the bit depth that is the big culprit - going very low in frequency can make the aliasing that is already there much more noticable.

From what you say, it sounds like even simple converting to 28kHz 8-bit would sound better on 68000, usually it's half-decent with the only big aberrations appearing on "quiet" songs, "someone singing the letter s", crash cymbals, and strings. "Songs usually made for the trunk woofers in your car" (you know the type) will sound spot on.

I've thought about this before when I was coding my .wav-converter for Scoopex. Because even 28kHz 9-bit would make a huge difference, I think!

This would be accomplished with a converter from 16-bit (gained down to 9-bit) to two 8-bit .wavs for left, two for right and the Amiga could simply play 2x2 8-bit samples with DMA (forming 9-bit stereo sound with hardware mixing) and extremely little CPU time wasted.

Seems a better solution to me than these modulation-based and realtime-buffer-converting things and having to cripple the sound if you happen to want to use the Amiga while listening
Old 20 January 2011, 23:20   #19
paalrosen

if you have Hippoplayer.
you can change the music files with itunes
to aiff files. it works sounds good too.
burning files to a CD, and that's it

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 21 January 2011, 12:02   #20
daxb

If you want to play audio CD`s as RAW, AIFF or WAVE file the easies way (I know) is using CDDA-FileSystem (Aminet). Just insert a CD and you get each track as a file (play, copy, what you want to do). No need to convert.