English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 19 February 2012, 13:40   #61
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlight View Post
I've decided to release my Workbench compilation ISO in it's current state. You can download it from here: [copyrighted material download link removed]
I know Workbench can't be hosted, but this CD seemed to have useful utilities, like the onscreen keyboard. Anybody has these extra tools?

I tried to make a bootable Workbench CD and I failed, I am obviously doing something wrong.
Old 19 February 2012, 16:49   #62
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I know Workbench can't be hosted, but this CD seemed to have useful utilities, like the onscreen keyboard. Anybody has these extra tools?

I tried to make a bootable Workbench CD and I failed, I am obviously doing something wrong.
Didnt the cd32 dev toolkit have an OSK util?
Old 19 February 2012, 17:19   #63
Amiga1992

Hmm, it could be. I have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 19 February 2012, 17:29   #64
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Hmm, it could be. I have to check it out. Thanks.
I know theres loads of cool tools in the devkit.
Theres also a joystick tester in there to.

With regard to your not working cd's, are you adding the CDTV trademark file to the image creator in ISOCD?

I found that using CD32 trademark file, causes nearly all my cd's not to work.
Using the CDTV one, every CD worked.
Old 19 February 2012, 17:53   #65
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, definitely not allowed...

Thanks for checking though guys
Really !! Even though they are free on mags and clearly state they cannot be sold....Got to be honest i thought that would be the only occasion you could get away with putting it up on the zone if it was already given free to the general population.

Just checking thats all ?
Old 19 February 2012, 18:23   #66
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
With regard to your not working cd's, are you adding the CDTV trademark file to the image creator in ISOCD?

I found that using CD32 trademark file, causes nearly all my cd's not to work.
Using the CDTV one, every CD worked.
Yeah I put CDTV.TM in the compilation, but then again, I used NERO. That could explain something :P
Old 19 February 2012, 22:05   #67
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Yeah I put CDTV.TM in the compilation, but then again, I used NERO. That could explain something :P
Thats what I do, create image in isocd (on amiga) then burn with nero.
Works fine, easiest thing to do is make iso, then use winuae in cd32 mode pointing to the iso.
General rule is, if it works there, then it should work on a real cd32.
Old 20 February 2012, 01:11   #68
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Thats what I do, create image in isocd (on amiga)
YEah well, I didn't do it with the AMiga. It seemed inconvenient. I'll have to do it I guess!
And yeah, I should have tried it on WInAUE too.

But for example, some games I downloaded off the fileserver, don't run. Example: Theme Park, Bubble Heroes. Seems they don't boot just like the one I made. All the files are in there.

Any ideas?
Old 20 February 2012, 06:20   #69
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Bubble Heroes needs extra RAM, so won't run on a stock CD32. I made a bootable CD for my CD32 which was an exact copy of the setup I have on an A1200. They both have 8MB FastRAM, so it booted up fine. I used MakeCD, chose the root drawer for the CD ( DH0: ), gave it a volume name, selected the CDTV.TM file in the Boot Options, and made a RAW file, which I burned with K3B on Linux.

NeonLight's Workbench CD was awesome though, the way it decompresses to RAM instead of loading every file from CD really helps speed up boot times, so I'd advise you to get that and use it as a base for your own Workbench disc, or at least copy some of the Startup-Sequence and components the way it is on that CD. The only problem for me is it has the CD32 version of WHDload, which doesn't work on expanded CD32s, so I can't play the few games on the disc.
Old 20 February 2012, 12:55   #70
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
NeonLight's Workbench CD was awesome though, the way it decompresses to RAM instead of loading every file from CD really helps speed up boot times, so I'd advise you to get that and use it as a base for your own Workbench disc
Well, nobody seems to be able to share it here, so I am stumped :/
Old 19 November 2012, 15:34   #71
Skeletorn

Hi, i looking for neonlight version of Workbench. Please give me link where to find it !
May be private message if can not be placed on regular forum...
Thanks.

Old 13 August 2018, 22:53   #72
amigo-mexicano
Amiga's Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlight View Post
I've decided to release my Workbench compilation ISO in it's current state. You can download it from here: [copyrighted material download link removed]

The CD boots into a Workbench desktop with MagicWB, KingCON, MUI, ToolsDaemon (+option to switch on MagicMenu) and will leave you 1.5MB free memory. The boot is optimized by extracting a core system into RAM and booting from memory. The temporary bootfiles are deleted after the system is loaded. If you press and hold the RED joypad button during the boot, you'll have a basic shell window with an onscreen keyboard and about 1.8MB free memory. Useful for running whdload stuff with the "preload" option.
You can use shortcuts/aliases in the shell to save typing. "Menu" or "M" will open a quicklaunch menu in no-startup for running whdload demos or games. See the readme on the CD for more information. I may expand the ISO in the future with more apps and features, but if you don't want to wait, you're free to customize it for your taste.
Is it possible to make this legally, something like the amiga911 disks? (you provide the original workbench files to make it).

That quick boot cd32 method he used seems to be the fastest ever. CU Amiga CDs take SO LONG to boot!

Last edited by amigo-mexicano; 14 August 2018 at 00:52. Reason: Typo
Old 14 August 2018, 12:54   #73
AMIGASYSTEM

Bootable CDs on CD32 are not slow, I think it depends only on the speed of the CD32 (1x).
Also you can create bootable CDs from AMiGA OS with MasterISO, I am attaching my old tutorials:

Burn CD-ROM for CD32 with MasterISO and AMiGA OS
[ Show youtube player ]

CU Amiga Magazzine and Amiga Format on CD-Rom bootable from CD32
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 August 2018, 14:12   #74
Glen M

The CD32 has a 2x speed drive but something that I've often wondered is "does the 2x read speed need to be invoked in software?" you can easily tell the different between when CD32 is reading in single speed for double speed. Loading cannon fodder is a good example as the disc noticeably accelerates once the message accessing CD32 please wait appears during loading.

The drive also really struggles with CD-Rs at times. You need to burn slow and use good discs. When burning keep an eye on the actual burn rate compared to what you have selected. I find on my laptop for example the burner in there runs at full speed if I select 1x burn speed but if I select say 8x burn speed it does write at that rate and the discs are more reliable. Using software like imgburn shows this.
Old 14 August 2018, 18:21   #75
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, I got confused with the speed of the CDTV (1x), However, i always created the bootable CDs for my 2 CD32s with high speeds and I did not find any difference in reading the CDs.
Old 15 August 2018, 14:31   #76
Glen M

Maybe just the quality of the discs then. I do notice a my CD32 particularly struggles with reading unbranded discs, you know the type that a all silver on top.
Old 17 August 2018, 21:05   #77
cip060

Do you still need the 3.0 workbench for cd 32?
Old 17 August 2018, 22:03   #78
nexus

before i had a sx-1 cover cd's is how i used my cd32 as a amiga
Old 17 August 2018, 22:14   #79
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Maybe just the quality of the discs then. I do notice a my CD32 particularly struggles with reading unbranded discs, you know the type that a all silver on top.
that could be many many types of dye's
this is why many pot tweaked gamecube discs or ps2

also can be your burn speed and burner lots of things that go into producing a good burn
Old 17 August 2018, 22:36   #80
cip060

I use imageburn and verbatim cd-r average speed
Never had problems