English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2005, 00:06   #1
andyr

New(ish) Amiga Game...

http://www.andysplace.fsnet.co.uk/textrisv6.htm

I wrote it basically for myself but it seems a few people I know like it...so I thought some of you good people might like it so I've thrown together a couple of screen shots and a download link incase anyone wants to give it a go.

Enjoy!
Old 15 March 2005, 01:50   #2
Amiga1992

What are the requirements for this game? You should post that in the page.

Looks entertaining!
Old 15 March 2005, 08:57   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The game has some nice design there. Good job!
Old 15 March 2005, 09:17   #4
oldpx

Looks very good indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira

Looks entertaining!
From the readme:

---------------------------------------------
System Requirements...
---------------------------------------------
ECS Chipset (AGA recommended)
1.5 Meg Chip Ram + 1 Meg Fast Ram (3 Meg total Ram recommended)
680x0 CPU (14MHz or greater recommended)

Old 15 March 2005, 17:58   #5
andyr

Quote:
You are quite right Akira. I should have posted the requirements + added them to the webpage (which I just threw together in less than 5 minutes!)

It should (in theory) run on any Amiga with at least 1.5 Meg of Chip & 1 Meg of Fast although I recommend 2 Meg of Chip and 1 Meg of Fast to ensure stability.

Tested on WinUAE, WinUAE-X and a real Amiga A1200 with 2 Meg chip, 16 Meg of fast and 030 @ 28MHz.
Old 15 March 2005, 18:34   #6
Amiga1992

Looks great, a perfect example to show those sub-standard Amiga developers that sell shit games what a game should look and feel like before putting a price on it and fooling users into buying their shit to "support amiga or it dies".

My hat's off to you.
Old 15 March 2005, 19:34   #7
lloyd
Mehh :D

My hat too! Looks great dude, nice one!
Old 15 March 2005, 22:02   #8
Amiga1992

Tried it. The presentation is slick, jusyt how any game's presentation should be.
The game is quiteenjoyable though I didn't get the grasp of it fully, will have to try it more later.

BTW it locked with some sort of illegal instruction while playing, I'll keep you posted if thi bug appears again.
Old 15 March 2005, 22:17   #9
keropi

VERY nice!
Old 15 March 2005, 23:14   #10
andyr

I'm glad people like it. I didn't really see it as having any kind of appeal to most people. I would have thought it was the kind of game that only appeals to those who have an interest in words.

Akira, keep the bug reports coming! I started writing this a couple of years ago then for some reason stopped. When I started again I'd forgotten what half of the code did so tracking down bugs is pretty difficult! I've tacked the high score name input on at the last minute as well so it doesn't look or work as intended (but it does work). Version 1 was written in 1993 when I was at school (!) and basically was just a low res 4 colour screen using text and no graphics. It was so slow as to be almost unplayable and it's word searching was abysmal (about 10 seconds to check a full line!). This latest version (V6) bears no resemblance at all to V1!

In the read-me I said this is the final version...but...I think I've thought of a way to have a 2 player version! I also want it to be able to use foreign language dictionaries and I also think I can implement another type of word game I like playing...dunno if you've heard of the GBA / online game called Bookworm. Maybe having skins is an option...

Well, I've got loads of new ideas...but seeing as people like this one, a bug fix release / new high score input version should be available by next week.

BTW, the point of the game is to arrange the falling lettered blocks into words - simple as that. When you make a word it may trigger off one of the 'arcade' elements but that's all covered in the read-me file.

Last edited by andyr; 15 March 2005 at 23:21.
Old 16 March 2005, 02:15   #11
EmuChicken

Downloading it now, I'll throw it to my amiga as soon as I have some time :-)

Which programming language did you write this in btw? Maybe next time try adding more comments to help you understand yer own code eh :-D

Is the file as an executable so I can install it on meh harddrive ?

/me waves to the fellow north west england feller in Manchester
Old 25 March 2005, 12:20   #12
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

This looks cool m8, a proper puzzler! Unfortunately my machines don't have the memory to cope with this. 2mb is my top spec'd machine with regards to memory. Still looks very impressive, keep up the good work!

My hat goes off to anyone out there still making games for the fantastic Amiga community thats out there!
Old 26 March 2005, 01:06   #13
andyr

Sorry I haven't replied recently - why does real life always have to intrude into online life?!?!

Anyways, it's good to know all the effort is appreciated! Spread the thing about people! (Synchro, stick on yer DVD!)

Now, the 'bug fix' version. I'm still working on it but have taken on board what some people have said...

There is now a hard drive installer - just tell it where you want the game to go. I'm also tweaking the memory requirements so it works on 2Meg machines (a bit flakey at the moment but I'll get there!) Loading times are now a little faster as well. Oh, and there's a completely new highscore input screen.

@Emu chicken - Comments in the code! I'll have you know this is spaghetti coding at it's very best! Microsoft would be proud! To be honest, it's just something I did for myself (at first) so just didn't bother with comments. Next time though...
Old 26 March 2005, 15:07   #14
Graham Humphrey

I like this game a lot - very nice!

I like these sort of games where you have to actually think about what you're doing. Also it's very slick and professional looking, and if you can get the two-player mode in there...
Old 18 September 2022, 12:41   #15
ross
Defendit numerus

Floppy disk

Oh, it's been a few years here

I dust off this old thread for a reason: this game never worked on a standard Amiga (at least the latest v6.0).
It requires some kind of genlock connected to the video port.

Only the original programmer could let us know why the ERSY and GAUD bits of BPLCON0 were activated by default in all the copper lists generated, but the most logical explanation is that he had a device connected to his Amiga and never realized that it wouldn't work on other Amigas.
At the time WinUAE did not fully support those bits mentioned and so the game worked.
Now WinUAE (and this has been happening for many versions now) it behaves like a real Amiga and therefore it simply loses video sync and the Amiga freezes (and of course the game does not start).

There is also a mistake in the TOSEC naming here. It is called "Textris v6.0.1 (200x)(At Software)(AGA)(FW)(Disk x of 2)[AMOS]"
Probably because of this message: https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=142630&postcount=4 or lack of tests or lack of real feedback or who know
Actually the minimum game requirement is a bare 68k, ECS, 1MB chip + 1 MB fast machine.
Yes, better with an A1200, cause it work straight and faster, but it's not a mandatory config.

After this premise I announce that now I have fixed the game and now it works in every Amiga in the minimum configuration that I have specified.
Also I made it one-disk (instead of the original two).
Into the Zone!
It may be a chance for someone to try this forgotten game.

Thanks to Toni for the 'real' tests and tech details
Actually this was the main reason to fix this game, to understand why it made these strange settings
Old 18 September 2022, 12:51   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you mate
Old 18 September 2022, 12:55   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the fix Ross
Old 18 September 2022, 14:48   #18
nikosidis

Thanks Ross. Quite a nice game
Old 18 September 2022, 15:09   #19
DisasterIncarna

great job

now to showcase how retarded i am, when it runs the main menu has 2 options, Exit and Options, so er, how do you start the game? yes i'm that thick.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 18 September 2022 at 15:25.
Old 18 September 2022, 15:26   #20
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Ross is tha man..