English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 29 May 2012, 00:57   #101
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
lol was so simple

yes, i only remaped = ! - _ and * all the rest is default ...and not .. we are not mad, only if numeric keypad was missing
Old 29 May 2012, 00:58   #102
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
A bit off-topic: I was suprised to learn that you French people use shift to type numbers... I initially thought you just had gone mad and created an insane keymap
The two possibilities are not necessarily incompatible
Old 03 June 2012, 00:49   #103
AndrewKanaber

fixing FS-UAE with both kbd and evdev drivers

Hi, thanks for FS-UAE, it's awesome!

I'm afraid you can count me as the second person to hit the evdev/kbd scancodes issue... Fortunately I think it's fixable: the evdev and kbd scancode mappings actually only differ above 96 (well, apart from SysRq which Amigas don't have) and the keys that they differ on are things like cursor keys (as we've noticed), other special keys and bits of the numeric pad, none of which vary position between regional layouts. So it seems to me the solution is to remove the scancode mappings above 96 in fs_ml_initialize_keymap so that we fall back to the SDL keysym for those.

The evdev/kbd thing is rather unfortunate, it looks like Linux and the XFree86 kbd driver both started from the PS/2 mapping 1 (XT) scancodes, but (sensibly) remapped codes with a prefix byte to different unique codes in the unused code space and (not sensibly) did this in two different ways. When Xorg switched to evdev they were no longer driving the hardware directly and used the Linux codes (well, plus 8 because XFree had also added 8). The prefix byte is for keys that weren't on the original IBM XT keyboard, so these are those are the ones where kbd and evdev differ, and luckily they're all 'special' keys that don't vary between regional layouts.

I've attached a completely trivial patch to remove the irrelevant scancodes from libfsemu/src/ml/linux.c:fs_ml_initialize_keymap()
I zapped lots of mappings that shouldn't vary (AFAIK) between Amiga keymaps, but if you want I could redo it for exactly only the keys that differ between kbd and evdev.

Cheers,

Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: txt patch.txt (2.5 KB, 232 views)

Old 03 June 2012, 02:10   #104
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKanaber View Post
Hi, thanks for FS-UAE, it's awesome!

I'm afraid you can count me as the second person to hit the evdev/kbd scancodes issue... Fortunately I think it's fixable: the evdev and kbd scancode mappings actually only differ above 96 (well, apart from SysRq which Amigas don't have) and the keys that they differ on are things like cursor keys (as we've noticed), other special keys and bits of the numeric pad, none of which vary position between regional layouts. So it seems to me the solution is to remove the scancode mappings above 96 in fs_ml_initialize_keymap so that we fall back to the SDL keysym for those.

The evdev/kbd thing is rather unfortunate, it looks like Linux and the XFree86 kbd driver both started from the PS/2 mapping 1 (XT) scancodes, but (sensibly) remapped codes with a prefix byte to different unique codes in the unused code space and (not sensibly) did this in two different ways. When Xorg switched to evdev they were no longer driving the hardware directly and used the Linux codes (well, plus 8 because XFree had also added 8). The prefix byte is for keys that weren't on the original IBM XT keyboard, so these are those are the ones where kbd and evdev differ, and luckily they're all 'special' keys that don't vary between regional layouts.

I've attached a completely trivial patch to remove the irrelevant scancodes from libfsemu/src/ml/linux.c:fs_ml_initialize_keymap()
I zapped lots of mappings that shouldn't vary (AFAIK) between Amiga keymaps, but if you want I could redo it for exactly only the keys that differ between kbd and evdev.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi, and thank you for your thorough research and post! I was not aware that the codes 96 and below were common between evdev/kbd, but that does simplify things. I also did wonder why the evdev codes did not correspond to those in /usr/include/linux/input.h and had not noticed that there was a fixed offset of 8. Useful to know

Since the kbd driver seems deprecated, I was not planning to do anything further about it, but your solution is, as you say, trivial to implement - and should make FS-UAE work equally well in both cases! I would rather just disable keycode mappings > 96 (though your other removals looked sane too, it should not really matter), but you don't need to redo the patch for it, I have already removed the keycodes in question.

Thanks again, and nice work!

EDIT: @Psicopatico, you can soon switch back to kbd if you did not get the multimedia keys working properly with evdev.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 03 June 2012 at 02:32.
Old 03 June 2012, 15:39   #105
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Development version 1.3.13 posted over at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64138 with the evdev/kbd fix suggested by AndrewKanaber.

Also, I have created a new thread for FS-UAE Launcher here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64531 (and details about the latest launcher release can be found there).
Old 18 June 2012, 18:07   #106
nexusle
Banned

Hi Frode,

today I have a very important (I hope so ) feature request! Please can you implement a possibility to open PDF files in FS-UAE?

It's important to open manuals to enter copy protection codes. Many of these manuals are in PDF format.

THIS would be one of the coolest features in an emulator. What do you think?
Old 18 June 2012, 18:10   #107
Foul

Apdf is working Great under Workbench
Old 18 June 2012, 18:19   #108
nexusle
Banned

I know, but who has spoken, that I use a Workbench installation?!

And if you are in a (WHDLoad-) game, you can't get to workbench, to search for the copy protection code (if the game have one)
Old 18 June 2012, 18:21   #109
Foul

you're supposed to own the game
Old 18 June 2012, 18:29   #110
nexusle
Banned

I just do not understand your reasoning! This is neither piracy nor the ability to open PDF files on AmigaOS.

The idea is to open the manual IN FS-UAE. Since you do not have the real manual, which in retro-games is already very valuable wear out, or get further out of the box!

I hope you understand now what I mean!
Old 18 June 2012, 18:30   #111
Foul

i was joking , i'm sorry

Good Idea anyway
Old 19 June 2012, 14:04   #112
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Hi Frode, today I have a very important (I hope so ) feature request! Please can you implement a possibility to open PDF files in FS-UAE?

It's important to open manuals to enter copy protection codes. Many of these manuals are in PDF format. THIS would be one of the coolest features in an emulator. What do you think?
Hi, I have actually mentioned in an earlier post that I am interested in adding this as a feature Also possibly support for rotating code wheels. On a computer where you can easily alt+tab out, manual/code wheel overlays are not essential, but it will be very nice if you are controlling FS-UAE with a gamepad on a HTPC setup. Also, an on-screen keyboard will be useful/necessary to input codes.

So it's not at the top of the list (currently focusing a bit on the launcher), but is definitively on the list of features I would like to have myself.
Old 22 June 2012, 08:26   #113
Foul

FS-UEA in Amiga Future !

Old 22 June 2012, 13:04   #114
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
FS-UEA in Amiga Future !

like it !! This is the attention, which Frodes FS-UAE really deserves !! At least ! Anything else would have been rather disappointing.

Achtung, vive la FS-UAE !

Last edited by yesplease; 22 June 2012 at 13:19.
Old 22 June 2012, 14:58   #115
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Nice -I'll probably have to purchase an issue to see what they write -Seems like it will be in stock on www.amigashop.org in a couple of weeks.
Old 23 June 2012, 09:58   #116
nexusle
Banned

There are also online issues of AF. Maybe you can get this issue gratis if you contact Andreas Magerl at his page or on a1k.org