English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 17 October 2012, 00:09   #1
knight76

WTB Giana Sisters $100GBP

Hi all.

I just joined up and thought I may as well post my main wanted game straight up, I know that is always popular move

I am looking for copy of Giana Sisters complete in good condition either on C64 Cassette, C64 Disk, or Amiga.

Willing to pay 100GBP.

Drop me a PM if you can help.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:12   #2
Kitty

You do know its not worth that much right? You must really want it bad lol

I personally wouldn't pay more than £55 in absolute mint condition.

Good luck with your search though
Old 17 October 2012, 00:20   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Giana Sisters was pulled from the shops pretty quickly, that's why HOL lists it as 'extremely rare' for example. It's surely worth that much (and more) for a collector.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:25   #4
Kitty

If I am correct the only place it wasn't pulled from the shelves was Germany, at least that's what I read somewhere recently. I'm sure someone from Germany will know better than myself though.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:33   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gre..._with_Nintendo
"As of 2011, the prices of original copies of the game can have been sold for €100 to €250, depending on the state of the game and its packaging as well as system version."
So a 'cheap' version would be ~75 GBP.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:39   #6
knight76

The C64 version sells on ebay for average 75GBP then up for bidding wars. The Amiga version I am not sure of the value as I have not seen on for sale on ebay, C64 disk version would be 100gbp and up depending on bidding wars.

The german release of Giana sisters was released the year before the UK release. Nintendo cracked it, and all versions were removed from sale.

I am not sure on the actual release dates for each version and would be happy to find out the actual dates.

As for the value, 100gbp is over the average for the C64 UK tape version, around the right price for the C64 disk version, not sure on Amiga or ST. According to my research anyway.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:51   #7
Kitty

I would say the C64 version is probably worth more as it appears on ebay a lot less than the Amiga version.
I find it funny that there's a Nintendo DS version now, how things change.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:55   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cheapest eBay auction during the last 2 years: http://www.ebay.de/itm/AMIGA-Great-G...#ht_500wt_1182
Still 64 GBP...
Old 17 October 2012, 01:24   #9
lesta_smsc

This is for C64: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMODORE-...item27cbebdf74
Old 17 October 2012, 01:33   #10
knight76

Kitty: To my understanding, the C64 version is the most common with the German release most common of all. I'm not sure on the exact release dates for the game on various platforms but I believe the C64 was released first then ported to other platforms. Not sure how long it took from release to Nintendo forcing it's removal, probably a matter of weeks to a a few months.

Cyberdruid: Thanks for that, I have been keeping an eye out on german ebay but nothing listed yet.

lesta smsc: I am watching that one, but am disappointed with the label damage. Overall it is ok condition, but the timewarp image being completely removed by the label damage is disappointing. I'm umming and ah'ing over that one at the moment lol.
Old 17 October 2012, 14:42   #11
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I'm sure you already know this but be VERY VERY careful of fakes!
Old 17 October 2012, 21:20   #12
Amiga1992

Yeah, there are a lot of fakes, I bought one once, it was a pirate copy with cracktro and all
Old 17 October 2012, 22:59   #13
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
lesta smsc: I am watching that one, but am disappointed with the label damage. Overall it is ok condition, but the timewarp image being completely removed by the label damage is disappointing. I'm umming and ah'ing over that one at the moment lol.
Yeah, sorry about that. I did realise that in the picture, which is a real shame as the rest of the accessories look in mint condition! I wonder if it's possible to 'replace' that, but I suppose the authentic nature of it would be gone!
Old 18 October 2012, 01:03   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Once you spend the money on it...

What exactly are you going to do with it?
Old 18 October 2012, 09:36   #15
Slayer
Amiga Member

I remember I used to hire out Great Giana Sisters from a software hire company, I kept trying to cyclone it over that week, it never seemed to work until one time it did work! I then got the great idea to swap out the actual inside of the diskettes so sent the hired game back with the cycloned copy of the game!

I wonder what I'd get for an original inside of a floppy LOL

I always wanted to copy it because only the original saved the high scores. I always did mean to buy it but I never got around to it. Weird really since I played it so much I could play right through without losing a life.

Ah the game days of old
Old 18 October 2012, 10:01   #16
knight76

lesta_smsc: I'm still watching it, will see how high it goes I guess. I wouldn't replace the label, better left as is.

Killergorilla: I was thinking of pulling all of the tape out of it and using it to floss my teeth.

Slayer: This is really why I want to buy it, because I remember.....

Last edited by knight76; 18 October 2012 at 10:30.
Old 18 October 2012, 22:37   #17
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
lesta_smsc: I'm still watching it, will see how high it goes I guess. I wouldn't replace the label, better left as is.

Killergorilla: I was thinking of pulling all of the tape out of it and using it to floss my teeth.

Slayer: This is really why I want to buy it, because I remember.....
rofl at floss teeth!

Slayer - that's so cheeky! I never understood x-copy except the 'cracked' games copied fine! What is with this 'cyclone'? Did it require additional hardware and why did it take numerous attempts?... Sorrry just curious even though 'off topic!'
Old 18 October 2012, 22:50   #18
Sektor 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
rofl at floss teeth!

Slayer - that's so cheeky! I never understood x-copy except the 'cracked' games copied fine! What is with this 'cyclone'? Did it require additional hardware and why did it take numerous attempts?... Sorrry just curious even though 'off topic!'

The original Great Giana Sisters had its own custom disk format which couldn't be copied properly through normal means
Old 19 October 2012, 01:39   #19
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor 83 View Post
The original Great Giana Sisters had its own custom disk format which couldn't be copied properly through normal means
But what is this 'cyclone'?... Then again, I should probably just go read about it!

BTW Sektor - thanks for the Colorado trainer!
Old 19 October 2012, 10:44   #20
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Cyclone is a hardware copier that would shift source data to the destination drive. This process allows arbitrary bitcells to be copied which the Amiga was unable to create on its own.

Giana Sisters could be copied with X-Copy only in Nibble mode. No hardware required.