English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 23 August 2019, 00:00   #21
lifeschool
Local Moderator

alpine9000 - Thanks, thats very great. We've had a few game makers join us in the compo, either with chat or even gameplay in some cases, so I hope you'll stay around and chat on the forums as we go along.

The comp has been rather quiet of late, so maybe this will liven things up a bit.
Old 23 August 2019, 00:30   #22
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
alpine9000 - Thanks, thats very great. We've had a few game makers join us in the compo, either with chat or even gameplay in some cases, so I hope you'll stay around and chat on the forums as we go along.

The comp has been rather quiet of late, so maybe this will liven things up a bit.
Absolutely, I am certain myself and tsak will be here if you guys are playing Worthy. I don't think we would have enough time to play competitively as we are working as hard as we can on the next game.

And for sure, if free copies of a game can entice some new competitors into the competition, that would be great!
Old 23 August 2019, 02:48   #23
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Yup!

And besides, regarding playing competitively, that would also be somewhat unfair. Since we know these levels and what makes them tick

Edit: that is If Worthy does get the vote of course.

Last edited by Tsak; 23 August 2019 at 15:59.
Old 25 August 2019, 14:09   #24
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Edit: that is If Worthy does get the vote of course.
And that's the case - unless Juanma and/or MikeyG win BOTH current games (every other Cannon Fodder-voter also voted for Worthy).

Results:

1. Worthy ... 31
2. Cannon Fodder ... 24
3. Beast III ... 12
4. Apocalypse ... 11
5. Magic Pockets ... 10

So it's pretty much sealed we'll play Worthy in the first three weeks of September.
Old 26 August 2019, 21:55   #25
linesmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Hi All,

I'm the coder of Worthy

If you guys do vote to play Worthy in a round, we will provide the only version we have, which is the "full" version. We hope this version will provide a good platform for a competition round, as even if two people complete the game, they will almost certainly have a different score, and the more skilled player's score will be higher.

Are far as our motivations, we are not really hoping this will drive sales or anything, so aside from supporting this forum (and Lemon), we felt we would enjoy watching skilled gamers play Worthy "hard"
Yes, and a big thank you from Lemon Amiga also for your kind offer. We will endeavour to push Worthy to its scoring limits.

Out of interest: are you aware of the highest score ever recorded for the game? Be nice to have a target to gun for!
Old 26 August 2019, 23:44   #26
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesmachine View Post
Yes, and a big thank you from Lemon Amiga also for your kind offer. We will endeavour to push Worthy to its scoring limits.

Out of interest: are you aware of the highest score ever recorded for the game? Be nice to have a target to gun for!
We calculated that if you finished Worthy “perfectly”, i.e: lost no lives, picked up every extra life, collected the “bonus” number of diamonds and finished every level with lots of time bonus points that it would be possible to get close to (or even above) the maximum score of 99,999.

However my feeling is if anyone managed to get even close to this they would almost certainly be using save states.

If you complete the game less perfectly, a score in the 70-80,000 would be the range I would expect.
Old 27 August 2019, 00:05   #27
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

And, because I am veryyyyyyy curious , what is your best score, and the best score of the team without cheat and save state ?
Alex « alpine9000 » Brown :
John « Tsak » Tsakiris :
Simone « JMD » Bernacchia :
Erik « Earok » Hogan ? :
Old 27 August 2019, 00:22   #28
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
And, because I am veryyyyyyy curious , what is your best score, and the best score of the team without cheat and save state ?
John « Tsak » Tsakiris :
Erik « Earok » Hogan ? :
I can’t remember if I actually ever finished Worthy in a single session (I am pretty sure I didn’t), but I am not a great gamer.

Worthy is a really hard game, I was good at solving the puzzles (Tsak created the levels to I could play them without knowing the solution), but some levels require really high level “arcade” skills (which is where I am lacking), and as such I would often die due to poor skills.

Some levels can be frustrating, but it’s a real rush when you finally crack the nut.
Old 27 August 2019, 02:16   #29
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
John « Tsak » Tsakiris :
Erik « Earok » Hogan ? :
I've finished the game with no continues a couple of times but I didn't kept the score (it's lost in one of the test builds probably). Given I didn't went for badges or perfects on those runs it must have been somewhere around 30-40.000 points. Alex's estimation for 70-80.000 is -I think- way too generous for a non-perfect run. But if you do manage to get the majority of the levels perfect you could reach close to that, even if you don't make it to the final boss.

Out of curiosity I did try today to refresh my rusty "Worthy" skills and see what score I could get. Made it on my first run to level 26 before dying while scoring perfects for nearly half the levels.

Score for this run: 28.668
Ah, @Malko, see now what you did there?

Last edited by Tsak; 27 August 2019 at 02:28.
Old 27 August 2019, 15:08   #30
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
[...] Score for this run: 28.668
Ah, @Malko, see now what you did there?
pressure, pressure
Old 28 August 2019, 11:40   #31
linesmachine

I really need to focus on Exile in its last few days, bit I REALLY want to crank Worthy up and knock that 28k out of the water!
Old 31 August 2019, 12:46   #32
Stimraug
Settler

Hey guys, long time no see. Glad to see these competitions are still happening
Old 01 September 2019, 12:03   #33
john4p
Competition Moderator

IIRC you are a shoot'em up master. We could use some reinforcements, hope you'll return!

No double voting changes since rexsu didn't vote. Worthy is the game for round 11.
Old 01 September 2019, 13:19   #34
Stimraug
Settler

Thanks Maybe I will, Worthy seems a bit boring, but I'll keep lurking and looking at later rounds!
Old 08 September 2019, 18:27   #35
john4p
Competition Moderator

Okay, good.

Worthy's gameplay doesn't look anything special indeed at first glance. But the difficulty is high and finding the solution to the puzzles feels very rewarding.

But the genre isn't for everyone.