Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 23 June 2008, 21:51   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Better (perhaps) config files management

Hi,

I would like to propose the following for WinUAE :

- A warning message : "you are about to overwrite..." when saving a config file over an previous one with the same name

- Default paths for config files : Having the config files stored in the user folder seems logical, however It would be nice to be proposed where to store them at install time. (It's easy to guess what my problem was with this : I lost all my previous configs after formatting the c: drive)

Cheers,
Old 23 June 2008, 21:55   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
- A warning message : "you are about to overwrite..." when saving a config file over an previous one with the same name
That would be a nice feature. Happened to me a few times and would be really useful for such config messies as me
Old 23 June 2008, 22:12   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
When you override a config file the old one becomes the file configuration.backup

IMHO it would be a pain in the butt to see a warning message everytime I tweak / save an existing config file...
Quote:
- Default paths for config files : Having the config files stored in the user folder seems logical, however It would be nice to be proposed where to store them at install time. (It's easy to guess what my problem was with this : I lost all my previous configs after formatting the c: drive)
I guess I never have this problem as I always use the .ZIP archive. By default the configuration files are stored in the \Configuration directory where WinUAE is extracted to
Old 23 June 2008, 22:22   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
When you override a config file the old one becomes the file configuration.backup

IMHO it would be a pain in the butt to see a warning message everytime I tweak / save an existing config file...
How about asking only if the name of the config is not the same as the currently loaded config? It happens to me when I set up a new config and forget that I had already made a special config for that.
Old 24 June 2008, 11:17   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
How about asking only if the name of the config is not the same as the currently loaded config? It happens to me when I set up a new config and forget that I had already made a special config for that.
This could be acceptable but generally I hate all kinds of annoying "are you sure?" messages in various Windows programs (most annoying is "Are you sure to quit?" when there is no user data left unsaved)

Quote:
Default paths for config files : Having the config files stored in the user folder seems logical, however It would be nice to be proposed where to store them at install time.
WinUAE does not need installation and I won't add any extra to installer, not interested
Old 24 June 2008, 14:37   #6
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Thanks for replying Toni, although v1.5 has been there only since mid-June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I hate all kinds of annoying "are you sure?" messages in various Windows programs
It's funny you point out Windows programs, because I just installed Aweb in AmigaOS, and it asks me if I am sure I want to quit each time I click on the button to the upper right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
WinUAE does not need installation and I won't add any extra to installer, not interested
Then what about the installer version being a candidate for another warning message (no provocation here) : "This is the first time, you're running WinUAE, please be aware that the config files are stored in the user folder, usually located on the C: drive..."

Last edited by NewDeli; 24 June 2008 at 14:52.
Old 24 June 2008, 14:49   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Then what about the installer version being a candidate for another warning message (no provocation here) : "This is the first time, you're running WinUAE, please be aware that the config files are stored in the user folder, usually located on the C: drive..."
Installer does not select the configuration directory. Installer does not really do anything interesting at all, it simply copies some files.

WinUAE does "everything" and default directory isn't always the same. For example it defaults to AmigaForever if it is already installed.

Just check Paths-panel after installation.
Old 24 June 2008, 15:43   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

I propose a special version of WinUAE.

WinUAE 1.5.0 - Retard Edition.

It won't do anything until you have click "Yes I'm sure" 10 times and scanned your signature authorising the action.