English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 15 December 2011, 08:17   #1
jimbob

Reboot command versus MapROM

Hi, can anyone confirm that the menu option settings->system->reboot, does not work correctly when using the MapROM functions of ACA cards. I get the floppy request screen when using this command from menu or CLI. Ctrl-A-A required to boot from HD again.

A600, kick40.63, ACA630, A603, IndiECS, ClassicWB ADVSP

first sus command is

acatune -maprom * -fastchip on >NIL:

Maybe there is an alternative program?

Please move if you feel like it, this thread probably belongs somewhere else but I came across this while trying out the ClassicWB packages so it is kinda relevant since I guess lots of ACA users will also be using ClassicWB which includes reboot.
Old 15 December 2011, 15:56   #2
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Hi, can anyone confirm that the menu option settings->system->reboot, does not work correctly when using the MapROM functions of ACA cards. I get the floppy request screen when using this command from menu or CLI. Ctrl-A-A required to boot from HD again.

A600, kick40.63, ACA630, A603, IndiECS, ClassicWB ADVSP

first sus command is

acatune -maprom * -fastchip on >NIL:

Maybe there is an alternative program?

Please move if you feel like it, this thread probably belongs somewhere else but I came across this while trying out the ClassicWB packages so it is kinda relevant since I guess lots of ACA users will also be using ClassicWB which includes reboot.
there is a reset command included in remapollo package...it works very fine
Old 15 December 2011, 17:32   #3
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
there is a reset command included in remapollo package...it works very fine
So all you need to do is replace the reset command in the C drawer with that one. Make sue you name it the same so you don't have to change all the links.
Old 15 December 2011, 20:02   #4
jimbob

Thanks but same problem with reset I'm afraid. There are a bunch of reboot type utilities on aminet, I'll churn through them 'til I find one that works. Can anyone check this on their machine make sure it isn't just me?

Here is a further odd symptom of both programs. Enter the early startup screen immediately after running the program and my DH0: is missing from the list. Ctrl-A-A and again enter early startup. DH0: is back but even if you disable all other drives and select DH0: to boot, still goes straight to floppy requestor. Only allowing a Ctrl-A-A to complete will allow boot from hard disc again.

I tested both commands with CPU fastrom. Reboot behaves just as with maprom but reset works ok, immediate reboot from HD. CPU fastrom function does not remain after any reset though.
Old 15 December 2011, 23:53   #5
Bloodwych

Sorry to hear it doesn't work.

As you said, many others use ACA feature so it would be nice to find a solution.
Old 16 December 2011, 11:30   #6
daxb

Some of the reset tools have an option to make a hard or soft reset (RemApollo reset has it). Did you tried both? It could be a timing issue. I would contact Jens for this problem.
Old 16 December 2011, 13:08   #7
Bloodwych

Following on from what daxb said, he has just reminded me the ClassicWB itself has two reset tools in the C drawer - Reset and Reboot. One is a hard rest, the other a soft.
Old 17 December 2011, 04:35   #8
jimbob

aha, reset from classicWB C directory works. Thanks Bloodwych.

I tried a bunch of different reboot utilities from aminet, all the ones I tried had the same problem. One I tried was called safe reset, it has a cold and warm switch. Cold has the problem, warm brings up a system requestor saying GURU! Priviledge Violation and does nothing more. Daxb, I couldn't find how to use different reset types from the remapollo reset?

From the ones which included source code, I can see that the problem seems to be with the exec function coldreboot(). Many of the authors comment that this is the same a CTRL-A-A but clearly there is a difference. So the question is, what is the difference between warm and cold reset, and why does maprom break when using coldreboot?
Old 17 December 2011, 10:35   #9
Bloodwych

I don't know the technical explaination, but essentially a hard (cold) reset is like turning the power off for 30 seconds and turning back on again - it clears everything in RAM, including any mapped ROMS, loaded device drivers, RAD disks...a total fresh start.

A soft reboot (like using the keys) restarts the Amiga but leaves certain things in RAM:

I will add a reset and reboot command to the next classicwb menus so users have a choice. Or perhaps just use the warm reboot rather than hard reset.
Old 17 December 2011, 12:27   #10
daxb

RemApollo reset tool has a switch: HARD=H/S
So "reset" means soft reset and "reset h" means hard reset.

Bloodwych is right with his explanation. About the technically stuff happens with ACA and acatune you should ask Jens. At least let him know there are problems with some reset tools. As far as I know ACA is very fast with startup so there could be reason why your HD won`t mount in special situations.

CTRL-A-A does a soft reset as we know. CTRL-A-A hold for some seconds (>3 or >10?) does a hard reset but that could be wrong. Edit: Yes, it is wrong.

Last edited by daxb; 19 December 2011 at 17:45.
Old 17 December 2011, 13:14   #11
roy bates

as far as i know the reset tool in remapollo is for the 040 and 060 cards(i dont know if they work with the aca's)
plise correct me if im wrong as i dont use this at all.
Old 19 December 2011, 16:55   #12
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
CTRL-A-A does a soft reset as we know. CTRL-A-A hold for some seconds (>3 or >10?) does a hard reset but that could be wrong.
Ah, didn't know that. I tried holding down CTRL-A-A and I get dumped to the floppy requestor. Not quite like a power cycle then, where the ROM will not be mapped until after the startup sequence has run. What I guess happens is the kickstart stays in fastmem even on a hard reset and is just too quick to allow the HD(CF) to mount.

Roy, yep the REMapollo tool is just for their turbo cards, but the reset that comes with it seems to be pretty generic.
Old 19 December 2011, 17:44   #13
daxb

Sorry, it seems that holding down CTRL+A+A for n sec. is just a normal (soft) reset. So you have to use a reset tool or switch off Amiga for about 30 sec. To verify mount a RAD and reset. A hard reset removes RAD, a soft reset doesn`t.
Old 19 December 2011, 17:55   #14
zipper

A hard reset on my A4000 did require at least 12 seconds CTRL+A+A - the recommendation might be upto 30 seconds.
Old 19 December 2011, 20:04   #15
jimbob

the plot thickens

damn, now I'm really confused.
So, holding CTRL-A-A for a more than about 5 secs is different. For me when MapROM is enabled, doing this, (and most reset tools), causes the hard disc to vanish.

If I then boot from a floppy and use acatune -status, i can see the MapROM is still active. Great I thought, this must be whats called a hard reset, it just doesn't clear the mapped ROM. this confirms what I thought about the mapped ROM being too fast to mount the HD.

Except when I tried it with a RAD mounted, The RAD is also still active after both hard and soft reset, (long followed by short duration CTRL-A-A). Ok, maybe RAD survives everything except a power cycle, EXCEPT, the one reset tool which does seem to work properly, I assumed because it was a so called warm reset, (reset from classicWB) removes the RAD: whilst not losing the HD and not disabling MapROM, (checked again by booting from floppy).

Bloodwych, do you happen to know which reboot and reset commands you included in the ADVSP package, maybe they have source code?

Here's some relevant stuff which I don't really follow from the HRM -

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0171.html

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node02E3.html

BTW, this is hardly a deal breaker or anything, not even a minor hassle really, just a little foible I'd like to understand better.
Old 29 September 2014, 20:46   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've just tried the Reset of CWB39 and also the Reset of Remapollo renaming them to Reboot, and no go. The amiga freezes. I'm using an ACA and BB4.What else should I try now? I think my system needs a cold reboot. If I could make it work I could use programs like Reboot Start that only works for me on WinUAE.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 September 2014 at 21:03.