English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 07 August 2023, 21:20   #1
Retro1234
Phone Homer

AMOS IDE well ahead of its time

Just tinkering AMOS PRO and the IDE is well ahead of its time and the way you can split the code up essentially like Methods/Functions etc and formating of code -
Did anything except C offer any of this?
This is seriously forward thinking
Old 16 August 2023, 15:25   #2
Daedalus

What do you mean? Are you talking about splitting the screen to show multiple different files (an IDE feature)? Or about splitting the code into functional blocks (a language feature)? In both cases, it was well known long before AMOS Pro, and while I haven't used AMOS Pro much myself, I've found the IDE quite clunky compared to some from around the same time.
Old 16 August 2023, 20:16   #3
Dan

He is talking about the possibility to spilt the current code into multiple windows. You are basically viewing and editing the same code in them.

Back then if you had the c64, then used amiga basic, compared to these two, the amos pro editor was excellent !
It still is.
Old 16 August 2023, 20:45   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I mean I fired it up the other day and the first thing that struck me was the thought that someone use to modern IDEs would have no problem using this at all.
Old 16 August 2023, 20:51   #5
Daedalus

Fair enough. I don't get the reference to languages other than C then - viewing the same file in multiple windows isn't a language feature.

But anyway... I remember QuickBasic being able to do that, having the screen split so you can show the subs in one pane and the main code in the other. QuickC had a very similar IDE, though not sure it qualifies as an answer because it's C.

Yeah, pretty much anything with a proper text editor is a big step up from the 8-bit Basics of the time. I moved from Atari 8-bit BASIC to QuickBASIC and it was like a different world, before moving over to the Amiga. It's just a shame AMOS (and AMOS Pro) didn't really use the OS for its IDE, because that contributed a lot to the clunkiness.