English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2007, 15:07   #1
edge_david

Root partition size on 1gig hdd?

Just picked up another amiga, this is my first with a hard disk.

The hard disk is 3.5" / 1gig.

When partitioning the drive, what would a sensible size be for the root partition? I am aware that this partition must be bootable and formatted before use.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 17 February 2007, 15:55   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_david
Just picked up another amiga, this is my first with a hard disk.

The hard disk is 3.5" / 1gig.

When partitioning the drive, what would a sensible size be for the root partition? I am aware that this partition must be bootable and formatted before use.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Depends on how much junk you'll store on it including the OS, but 300mb is enough imho so it's fast to defrag it if it's needed in the future
Old 17 February 2007, 15:56   #3
Graham Humphrey

Depends what you wanna do with it.... what model Amiga is it and does it have any other expansions?

If you've got an expanded machine you may want to install loads of patches (eg Newicons, Birdie etc) to improve the look and functionailty of your WB. If not then you'll want a fairly basic setup.

Don't know how much use this will be, but I have a 2.1G HD in my 1200, and my boot partition is 400M which is overkill, quite frankly. I only use about 25M at present, so maybe 50M (it pays to overestimate) would be more than enough for you. Again though it depends what you want to use your computer for.
Old 17 February 2007, 16:01   #4
edge_david

Cheers, the system is not expanded at present, I originally partitioned the drive at delfault, 50/50 ie 512m/512m, I thought this was an overkill thats why I asked your advise.

I will repartition at 50m and take it from there, thanks...