English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2007, 16:38   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@THB

thats my fault for taking it off topic... sorry about that... I absolutely LOVE emu action, and to be honest and open platform like the GP2X really would answer my gamming dreams.... just trying to justify £120 for a gaming console... lol.... hmmm.... maybe if I beg to the wifie she might let me have one for chrimbo

I do try and read up on the GP2X especial the open linux graphics drivers for it. (this really interests me, as its the one thing Linux would really benefit from... )

so is there any news on the GP3X? I would be very interested in knowing the specs more on this.
Old 08 August 2007, 16:48   #22
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
The people who complain about the stick are generation console kiddies who need a dir pad to be half decent at games. (No offence Horace)
i will take offence, afterall, thats your intention!

please show me how you can play any RPG game such as Bloodwych, Dungeon Master, EOB etc comfortably WITHOUT having both dpad and nub. in fact, any decent mouse-controlled game that may also need a bunch of keys to make it playable on a portable system.

The mouse gets mapped to the analogue stick, and the d-pad is used for directions. you're pretty f**ked if you have to rely on just controlling the mouse, because you'll get trapped and killed in your game using the crappy on-screen direction controls.

also with strategy games like Sim City, or Syndicate.... you map the d-pad to being able to move the screen around, which makes things 20 time better.

oh, and all this is forgetting how much like a CD32 comp pro pad the d-pad control is when playing platformers etc.... sorry if thats not "old school" enough for you! since the CD32 was the first console i owned, and didnt own any other until afer 2000 (when i was already 19) i guess this must be what you are referring to with the "generation console kiddies" comment? CD32 owners?

edit: and please show me a classic Amiga joystick that was as small as the gp2x thing! (even if there was one, its hardly a zipstick is it?)

Quote:
The headphone jack was a problem on some first editions only, I have a first edition and have never had this problem.
only on early editions huh? bit like the "blurry" PSP screen then?

Quote:
Anyways how about you threadjackers try UAE4ALL and then comment on the actual topic.
i actually did comment on the topic. i just find it baffling that someone should own a PSP and so actively hate it. Makes me think you have more money than sense.
Old 08 August 2007, 16:52   #23
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Gp3x is all heresay at the moment I believe they are saying it wont be gamepark related but its being organized by ex gampark people along with the UK, German and Turkish GP distributors. They are saying 500mHz, touchscreen and 3D accellerator and the possibility of a release or announcement by the end of the year. I am skeptical, but who knows if it will see the light of day. Backward compatibility with recompilation is confirmed as some homebrew devs already have their hands on dev boards.

No probs with the offtopic stuff at all, The pspuae guys cop gp2x posts in their threads on eab as well so I guess it goes part and parcel with these types of threads.
Old 08 August 2007, 16:56   #24
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Although UAE4All controls aren't properly remappable atm, once they are there's nothing to stop the 4 main firebuttons being mapped for the directions in games like EOB which still leaves the shoulder buttons free for the mouse buttons.
Old 08 August 2007, 16:58   #25
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

how would you rotate? thats how i use the shoulder buttons
Old 08 August 2007, 17:03   #26
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I'd prob set left and right to rotate, don't generally use sidestep much in games like that. However OutCaST the ST emu was very easy to use for playing Dungeon Master, you could setup custom configs so with a press of 1 button you had the joystick controlling the mouse, and then with another quick press you could have it controlling the character movement.
Old 08 August 2007, 17:11   #27
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

just a shame you have to shower after every use of an ST emualtor

i think its something you can never scrub off though.....

i still prefer my technique: [ Show youtube player ]
though the outcast aproach, is a well thought-out "work around"
Old 08 August 2007, 17:16   #28
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
i will take offence, afterall, thats your intention!
That was some gentle ribbing and you know it buddy.

Quote:
please show me how you can play any RPG game such as Bloodwych, Dungeon Master, EOB etc comfortably WITHOUT having both dpad and nub. in fact, any decent mouse-controlled game that may also need a bunch of keys to make it playable on a portable system.

The mouse gets mapped to the analogue stick, and the d-pad is used for directions. you're pretty f**ked if you have to rely on just controlling the mouse, because you'll get trapped and killed in your game using the crappy on-screen direction controls.

also with strategy games like Sim City, or Syndicate.... you map the d-pad to being able to move the screen around, which makes things 20 time better.
First off you know my hatred for RPG games so this isnt an issue for me at all.
Where in this thread did I slag the PSP controls like alexh has the gp2x? I was responding to his post about the stick being crap, which in my opinion it isnt. I have no problems with the psp controls at all. I just find a digital joystick more true to my retro amiga experience. critical is looking at putting in button configs as we speak so I dont see this being a problem for too much longer, mouse acceleration is already implemented and soon the fire button diamond could be set up as a dir pad if need be and used in tandem with the joystick.

Quote:
oh, and all this is forgetting how much like a CD32 comp pro pad the d-pad control is when playing platformers etc.... sorry if thats not "old school" enough for you! since the CD32 was the first console i owned, and didnt own any other until afer 2000 (when i was already 19) i guess this must be what you are referring to with the "generation console kiddies" comment? CD32 owners?
pfft! console kiddies

Quote:
edit: and please show me a classic Amiga joystick that was as small as the gp2x thing! (even if there was one, its hardly a zipstick is it?)
None but it is a digital joystick isnt it?

Quote:
only on early editions huh? bit like the "blurry" PSP screen then?
The "first edition" run of gp2xs lasted 3 months the blurry screen problem is still present in new psps just not as bad as the first years psp screens. Yes I have used newer psps, to say the psp doesnt have a slow lcd is a blatant lie.

edit: fixed some quote brackets

Quote:
i actually did comment on the topic. i just find it baffling that someone should own a PSP and so actively hate it. Makes me think you have more money than sense.
I dont hate the psp at all, I hate the screen for 2D games and 2D emulation. I have mucho respect for the pspuae dev team and even yourself for contributing to it in your own way. I love many of the commercial PSP games and will defend it when people slag it over the DS saying the DS has better games which I dont agree with at all. But when people who dont have a gp2x start slagging the gp2x I will defend it because its an awesome piece of kit for homebrew and emulation.
Old 08 August 2007, 17:44   #29
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

thb: i know that was ribbing, i was just making the point that it was slightly hyprocrital ... "insert insult / no offence" - you were only after one thing!

i will happily slag off the gp2x for lacking simple input devices, because that has been one of my major reasons for not buying one - but no, i wouldnt on the basis of the concept... i think its a brilliant idea, just not well enough executed for my needs.

your insistance on the slow-lcd being a problem... either you have really quick eyes, or you just wont ever be content!
im not saying the gp2x screen isnt better, i'm just saying that its odd that you alone are so vocal in your complaint of it. Everyone else (including myself) seems quite happy with it.

i wouldnt dream of slagging off the work on gp2x UAE though, becasue i think its great, even if it is on a system that i simply wont be buying at any stage.

However, i will give criticism of it (how else can it improve after all) - you cant deny that ,although a bit quicker, it doesnt have as much functionality at the mo.

Couple this with the fact that most of the types of games i play on PSPUAE (rpgs, strategys mostly, since they require "settling down" - something i cant do in front of a PC.) already run excellently on it, and are much improved by those extra functions.... you can see why this remains my preference, given that i dont have to fork out £120 just for a slightly faster and less practical (atm) version of UAE!

oh, and perhaps you will say "what about the platformers / racers etc? " - for the record anything that requires smoothness i try to avoid even playing on winuae tbh! thats why i keep the a1200
Old 08 August 2007, 18:09   #30
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I'm too tired to quote point for point its late here and I should be in bed.

I know you hate that insert insult/no offence thing I was being ironical.

Fair enough and fair points. Personally I prefer fast action amiga games over strategy unless I have a proper mouse/keyboard setup. And UAE4ALL delivers for me. Just a sample of the games I chuck on for a quick thrashing: Buggy Boy, Continental Circus, Vroom, ChaseHQ, Super Cars 2 (Thanks Galahad!), Rotox, Hybris, RVF Honda. These are the types of games I cant play on the psp because of the slow LCD. And I will say pspuaes features are great but if I had the choice between features and full speed I would choose full speed every time. especially for the types of games I play. The precise problem I have with the psp screen is the ghosting, for example when playing buggy boy and I move to the left quickly I see two or three buggys on screen at once because the screen takes so long to update.

WHDLoading from ram is a fantastic feature and so are savestates but I would trade them off in a second if it meant games ran slower.

I love my 1200 and all my amigas and winuae, but I cant take them to the toilet or to bed for a quick game. We have gone through all this before Horace and neither of us is going to change their preference.
Old 08 August 2007, 18:30   #31
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

buggy boy is one of the few racers i -do- play on pspuae funnily enough, and i dont get 3 cars! but we have already established your PSP is older, and probably why you have more complaint.

sorry gp2x people, you can have your thread back now.
(its not like you dont all pipe-up on the pspaue threads though!)
Old 08 August 2007, 21:22   #32
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
There's a script in there called "UAE4all-tweak.gpu" or somesuch - it's plain (unix) text, just edit that and set your settings in there. Just don't use notepad if you're in windows.

D.
Yup, Edited the settings via a hex editor on laptop. I'm on about the save to disk as in hi-scores etc in game. Stardust doesn't save or load my previous scores anymore but just tried T-Racer and that saves and reloads fine, hmmmmm.

As for the GP/PSP argument it's obvious which has the most power but it depends what you want.

If you want 3D graphics and cut down versions of PS2 games to play on a dodgy ghostvision widescreen then buy a PSP (i bought one months after a bought my GP2X and got rid, For the emulation side of it the screen was wrong and the firmware up/downgrade etc was a PITA)

If you primary goal is to play old Spectrum/C=64/Amstrad CPC/Master System/NES/Genesis/SNES/Neo Geo/M.A.M.E/Atari ST/Amiga games on the move wherever you are then the GP2X is a killer piece of kit. The screen is better suited and putting new software/roms on it couldn't be easier (SD card reader or USB cable) the joystick isn't to everyone's liking but i don't have a problem with it.

As for a successor to the GP2X i think it's all BS. If it did happen, Faster CPU, 3D accelerator, Proper D-Pad and with backing from some big games developers the PSP (along with Sony's it will only do what we want it too attitude) would be finished.

Just my 2p
Old 08 August 2007, 23:26   #33
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Best of both worlds?

Old 09 August 2007, 01:26   #34
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Charlie...

thats a little wholesome
Old 09 August 2007, 18:45   #35
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT View Post
As for a successor to the GP2X i think it's all BS.
Unfortunately, it is happening. They're currently writing the OS and finalising the design now. The people behind it (a consortium - of sorts - of GP2X distributors) are not big names, but they are quite rightly pissed with GPH and their lack of interest in some of the more glaring issues the 2x has.

It remains to be seen what the new machine will be capable when the (possible) deadline of Xmas comes along - I'm hoping for a handheld AGA, personally, but again it remains to be seen.

D.