English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 April 2019, 17:59   #1
pubzombie

Monitor cable 1084s and A1200 question

Hi all,
I came across an old Commodore 1084s monitor that was put out by the side of the road for trash collection a few years back and stashed it in my garage, i've just dug it out!!!!.
It turns on and hasn't blown me up!
It has RGB and S video and chroma connections and is switchable between digital and analogue RGB settings.
I currently use a an Amiga to Scart cable with my A1200 - what cable is my best option for the A1200 and what setting should I use?
Thanks for your time - one of these was way out of my price range back ion the day and I just used the coaxle
cheers,
Steve
Old 05 April 2019, 00:57   #2
idrougge

There are tonnes of 1084 models – if it has a SCART connector, use your SCART cable.
Old 05 April 2019, 02:02   #3
UberFreak

You need Analog RGB for an Amiga.

There are basically three types of RGB input connectors on various 1084(s) monitors:
1) Scart
2) D-Type 9-pin
3) DIN 6-pin

So, depends on which connector your 1084 has.
Old 05 April 2019, 02:09   #4
UberFreak

If you have the 1084s variant with both SCART and DIN-8, the SCART is used for analog RGB and the DIN is used for digital (RGBI)
Old 07 April 2019, 18:25   #5
pubzombie

hi guys this is the rear end - no scart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1084s.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	62711  
Old 07 April 2019, 21:53   #6
jbilander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
hi guys this is the rear end - no scart

Looks like a Commodore 1084S-D monitor with a male 9-pin d-sub (DE9M) connector for the RGB input.

You need an Amiga RGB d-sub db23 (23-pin) female to d-sub 9-pin female cable. Might not be that easy to find though.

AmigaKit and other retro stores has a similar one but with 9-pin male connector. I don't know if it is as simple as using a 9-pin female to female gender changer, costs £2-£3 (on Amazon), and it will work? Maybe contact them and ask. Otherwise you can probably cut that one side off and solder on a new d-sub 9-pin female connector there (9-pin female dsub + Hood is cheap and available). You would need to know your monitors pinout diagram then.

http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_...roducts_id=925

https://amigastore.eu/en/224-monitor...-to-db9-m.html

Oh, and please note the AmigaKit version uses a cut down db25 due to the scarcity of db23 nowadays. It will work though and plug into your A1200...more of an estetic thing. The Amigastore one has an original db23.

Oh, and I think the Monitor pinout is the same as this one, others can confirm...

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cbm/m...4s/pinout.html

Last edited by jbilander; 07 April 2019 at 21:57. Reason: typo
Old 07 April 2019, 22:28   #7
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Hello

Quote:
I came across an old Commodore 1084s monitor that was put out by the side of the road for trash collection a few years back and stashed it in my garage, i've just dug it out!!!!.
It turns on and hasn't blown me up!
First things first: it has not blown up yet but its capacitors are definitely leaking and possibly damaging it so you should definitely get them replaced.
I got two of these kittens and both exhibited significant capacitor leakage, in addition to reducing the quality of the image, this also can cause problems in the future so I would recommend changing them before long.

Quote:
It has RGB and S video and chroma connections and is switchable between digital and analogue RGB settings.
I currently use a an Amiga to Scart cable with my A1200 - what cable is my best option for the A1200 and what setting should I use?
I agree with jlander, it seems highly likely that this monitor is a derivative version of the Philips CM8833 (as many if not most C= monitors are).
The AmigaKit cable links provided by jlander should be perfectly fine.
For reference, I bought mine from eBay (there:https://www.ebay.com/itm/320754731999) and it works just fine.

I have used it very successfully with my own miggies and a 1084-D which as you can see in the attachment has very similar inputs to yours. I have zero relation with that vendor, just bought the item from them, but you should definitely support AmigaKit instead of relying on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1084-D.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	62715  
Old 08 April 2019, 12:40   #8
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Hello

First things first: it has not blown up yet but its capacitors are definitely leaking and possibly damaging it so you should definitely get them replaced.
I got two of these kittens and both exhibited significant capacitor leakage, in addition to reducing the quality of the image, this also can cause problems in the future so I would recommend changing them before long.

I agree with jlander, it seems highly likely that this monitor is a derivative version of the Philips CM8833 (as many if not most C= monitors are).
The AmigaKit cable links provided by jlander should be perfectly fine.
For reference, I bought mine from eBay (there:https://www.ebay.com/itm/320754731999) and it works just fine.

I have used it very successfully with my own miggies and a 1084-D which as you can see in the attachment has very similar inputs to yours. I have zero relation with that vendor, just bought the item from them, but you should definitely support AmigaKit instead of relying on eBay.
Its a 1084s-D model manufactured in June 1990! dont fancy having to solder a female adapter on!!! My eyestight wont stand it lol!! Nothing is simple in retroworld anymore

Last edited by pubzombie; 08 April 2019 at 14:06.
Old 08 April 2019, 16:35   #9
jbilander

Quote:
Its a 1084s-D model manufactured in June 1990! dont fancy having to solder a female adapter on!!! My eyestight wont stand it lol!! Nothing is simple in retroworld anymore

I'd say contact AmigaKit or Amigastore and ask about that cable they sell. Maybe they can "make-to-order" one for you with the female 9-pin d-sub instead of the male connector. If not, then ask about if a 9-pin female to female gender changer plug would work with that existing lead to your type of monitor. I think that will work just fine, but don't take my word for it.

Here is a picture of that gender changer plug I had in mind...

Edit:

Checked the Vesalia site, they seem to have one with a 9-pin female connector. Maybe ask them if that one will work with 1084s-D
https://www.vesalia.de/e_amigamonitorcables[6250].htm
Monitor Cable, Amiga RGB (23-pin f.) to D-SUB 9-pin f.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gender_changer_plug.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	62728  

Last edited by jbilander; 08 April 2019 at 21:37. Reason: updated with a link
Old 08 April 2019, 22:08   #10
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
I'd say contact AmigaKit or Amigastore and ask about that cable they sell. Maybe they can "make-to-order" one for you with the female 9-pin d-sub instead of the male connector. If not, then ask about if a 9-pin female to female gender changer plug would work with that existing lead to your type of monitor. I think that will work just fine, but don't take my word for it.

Here is a picture of that gender changer plug I had in mind...

Edit:

Checked the Vesalia site, they seem to have one with a 9-pin female connector. Maybe ask them if that one will work with 1084s-D
https://www.vesalia.de/e_amigamonitorcables[6250].htm
Monitor Cable, Amiga RGB (23-pin f.) to D-SUB 9-pin f.
Thank you ,! I’m on it
Old 10 April 2019, 09:55   #11
pubzombie

Just a heads up. The standard male to female converter doesn’t work on the s-d models. It reverses blue and green and leaves red on the same pin (to my understanding) so just get a very crisp but blood red screen. Need to build one with the pins crossed over. Not a difficult task to those who have the right kit.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:10   #12
Hewitson

It was not a good idea to plug that in without checking the pinout. You're lucky you didn't damage your monitor.
Old 06 June 2019, 01:49   #13
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Just a heads up. The standard male to female converter doesn’t work on the s-d models. It reverses blue and green and leaves red on the same pin (to my understanding) so just get a very crisp but blood red screen. Need to build one with the pins crossed over. Not a difficult task to those who have the right kit.
Are you sure? I use mine with a straight inverter, no wires crossed and it works just fine.

For reference, this is the one I got: https://www.primecables.ca/p-317679-...163.1559778507.