English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 28 February 2019, 10:01   #61
Reido
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dublin/Ireland
Posts: 294
Great stuff, congrats and looking forward to trying out later!
Reido is offline  
Old 02 March 2019, 15:48   #62
phx
Natteravn

phx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Herford / Germany
Posts: 1,451
That's something completey different, and the only finished project in the contest. Congratulations!

I'm probably too bad/old to play it properly. In the video it looks so easy, but I cannot change between the tracks quickly enough.

On my test system (A1200, ACA1230) I saw a small glitch: the Amiga ball sprite got corrupted. Maybe an AGA problem? Did you switch off AGA properly?
phx is offline  
Old 02 March 2019, 16:46   #63
arcanist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 36
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
That's something completey different, and the only finished project in the contest. Congratulations!

I'm probably too bad/old to play it properly. In the video it looks so easy, but I cannot change between the tracks quickly enough.
Does it feel like too little mouse sensitivity or just a fast paced game? If the latter then working as intended.

I did most development with a USB mouse which has higher sensitivity. I later tested with an Amiga Technologies mouse which has lower sensitivity but felt it still played fine on the harder tracks. Seemed a good balance between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
On my test system (A1200, ACA1230) I saw a small glitch: the Amiga ball sprite got corrupted. Maybe an AGA problem? Did you switch off AGA properly?
Oh no! I tested on my A1200 + Microbotics 030 and it ran fine. Perhaps there's a difference in our Workbench setup.

I've added FMODE and BPLCON4 to the copperlist, perhaps one of those is the issue. Could you try again? https://amigageek.com/modsurfer/modsurfer.lha (Aminet is down so I can't update there right now.)

Thanks for testing.
arcanist is offline  
Old 02 March 2019, 17:55   #64
phx
Natteravn

phx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Herford / Germany
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
Does it feel like too little mouse sensitivity or just a fast paced game? If the latter then working as intended.
No. It's the latter. Then everything is fine, I guess.

Quote:
Oh no! I tested on my A1200 + Microbotics 030 and it ran fine. Perhaps there's a difference in our Workbench setup.
You never saw that? Then it's a very rare problem. Because now I cannot reproduce it either. I started the game a dozen times, but the bug didn't reappear.

I guess that's probably not what you want to hear.

Quote:
I've added FMODE and BPLCON4 to the copperlist, perhaps one of those is the issue.
Can't hurt.

Quote:
Could you try again?
Yes, tried it. Works fine. But your old version did too, except once...
phx is offline  
Old 02 March 2019, 18:38   #65
arcanist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 36
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
No. It's the latter. Then everything is fine, I guess.
I front-loaded the MOD pack with faster tracks but there are a few slower ones in there too. Most MODs in the wild are slower than these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
You never saw that? Then it's a very rare problem. Because now I cannot reproduce it either. I started the game a dozen times, but the bug didn't reappear.

I guess that's probably not what you want to hear.
I work in software dev, I'm used to it.

That's a new one to me. Out of a lot of testing (admittedly mostly in FS-UAE) the only sprite issue I saw was when I first tested on a real Amiga and had forgotten to program BPLCON3.SPRES. The ball looked twice as tall and split into two pieces.

Thanks for testing!
arcanist is offline  
Old 03 March 2019, 21:54   #66
MikeyG
Registered User

MikeyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northampton / UK
Posts: 80
Well done arcanist, great submission. I like how you can select your own mod tracks and see how well they play. Will have to dig out all my old mods now. Great implementation.
MikeyG is offline  
Old 15 March 2019, 23:14   #67
Nightshft
Registered User

Nightshft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Austria
Age: 44
Posts: 153
Very nice game arcanist!
Apart from a good idea and implementation I like the rock solid stabilty it has. Runs fine on my A1200 (4MB Fast, 28Mhz) and on my A500. From WB and from Disk. Never crashed (here) and always possible to cleanly exit to WB.

Mouse control works fine here (Logitech BT Mouse via USB Adapter) but I also like to play it with a Joystick (Suzo Arcade).

I tried some of my mod tracks and put the best in a zip file. It's in the zone. Have fun!
Nightshft is offline  
Old 16 March 2019, 03:17   #68
arcanist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 36
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Very nice game arcanist!
Apart from a good idea and implementation I like the rock solid stabilty it has. Runs fine on my A1200 (4MB Fast, 28Mhz) and on my A500. From WB and from Disk. Never crashed (here) and always possible to cleanly exit to WB.

Mouse control works fine here (Logitech BT Mouse via USB Adapter) but I also like to play it with a Joystick (Suzo Arcade).

I tried some of my mod tracks and put the best in a zip file. It's in the zone. Have fun!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was watching AmigaBill stream the game on Twitch on Monday. Seeing the viewers enjoying MODs as more than background music was exactly what I hoped for. As Bill rightly said the game is all about the music. The visuals and gameplay are just there to draw you into the world of Amiga's talented musicians.
arcanist is offline  
Old 30 March 2019, 14:10   #69
john4p
Local Moderator
john4p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,261
Nice game. Very interesting to see what tracks are generated from the MODs. Like phx my reactions are too slow to be proficient at it though.

Implementation seems flawless to me.
john4p is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry: ModSurfer arcanist Coders. Entries 13 27 February 2019 14:46
Discussion: XILEF E-Penguin Coders. Contest 17 17 December 2018 21:40
Old KGLoad Discussion killergorilla project.KGLoad 357 20 January 2011 16:08
Castlevania Discussion john4p Retrogaming General Discussion 30 30 January 2009 02:10
General Discussion Zetr0 project.Amiga Game Factory 12 15 December 2005 13:53

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07428 seconds with 14 queries