English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 April 2015, 18:09   #41
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
Maybe it would be bulked out a little at the rear - perhaps to allow an extra 'deck' of connectors for expansions and more headroom. It might make sense in this regard to lose the step down to the grille completely.

How about mounting for internal optical drive? cooling fan - 120mm can be pretty quiet, but eats up space.

Since amiga floppy's are no longer manufactured, and goteks don't fit a normal casing without modding, perhaps the floppy support would be a pc standard? perhaps an insert piece could be optional to make a standard amiga drive fit with no gaps or issues.

Fot optical Drives, (I'm assuming you mean CDROM), there are quite a few different models with different mounting arrangements and i dont know if everyone could be satisfied. The height could be lifted to create more upper space, A PC standard floppy drive will not work with certain track loaders so all of those games that employ them would not work. An insert or design considerations to allow a choice would be good if possible. The gotek circuit board outside of its case is pretty small and could easily be mounted on thr underside of the top casing with a small hole in the case for the buttons and display board.

I think some people have already done this mod with their Gotek, i'll try to find some pics...

here is one solution...

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67159

i think i'll take one of my broken cases and spray paint it to see how it will look in different colours, make it a rainbow

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 April 2015 at 18:34.
Old 03 April 2015, 18:37   #42
clebin

If you're doing the work to make a replica keyboard, would you consider spinning that part off into a separate product, ie. an A4000-style standalone keyboard?

Chris
Old 03 April 2015, 18:49   #43
Steve T

I still think modularity for this area, I appreciate Goteks are a lot of empty space though!

Are all Gotek boards equal, what if the design of the PCB changes? at least the Gotek casing is based on a standard you can design a fitting for.

As for colour, I guess a black Amiga casing option is a must
Old 03 April 2015, 18:54   #44
kipper2k

For me, personally, the goal is to get a replacement A1200 case and also use an existing keyboard and make new replacement keys... (if all goes well, move onto an A500 case)

There are a few mods that can be done to accommodate certain upgrades but too many would swamp this goal. Allowances such as usb, HDMI are easily achievable and can be integrated into the design.

There are probably a lot of different views on what a replacement case should look like, Purists would want to see the case design change little and modders would like to see allowances for upgradeability for their addons. This is where the problems lie, trying to appease the majority. Colours can be easily accommodated so that is not a concern
Old 03 April 2015, 19:11   #45
Steve T

I'm just thinking of breaking it down into areas which can changed, and areas which cannot... like the relationship between the motherboard and keyboard, the angle of the keyboard, probably cannot or should not be changed. And what are the key areas of inadequacy for modders or extending its use? if the back is extended and the 'seam' line for the 2 halves moved up at the rear, it gives and extended area in the lower shell for extra stuff, making this easier to install, without mutating the design too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200casemod01.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	43861  
Old 03 April 2015, 19:19   #46
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
I'm just thinking of breaking it down into areas which can changed, and areas which cannot... like the relationship between the motherboard and keyboard, the angle of the keyboard, probably cannot or should not be changed. And what are the key areas of inadequacy for modders or extending its use? if the back is extended and the 'seam' line for the 2 halves moved up at the rear, it gives and extended area in the lower shell for extra stuff, making this easier to install, without mutating the design too much.

yup, agree... i think the lower case should be a little deeper and the upper case a little higher allowing for addon boards over the motherboard to fit well. The angle can remain similar. The keyboard interferes with a few mods and also clockport mods too, so increasing the depth a good 0.25" minimum would help (even a little more, say 0.350"). increased depth can be acheived by using both upper casing and lower casing to not affect design so much

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 April 2015 at 19:25.
Old 03 April 2015, 20:45   #47
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
yup, agree... i think the lower case should be a little deeper and the upper case a little higher allowing for addon boards over the motherboard to fit well. The angle can remain similar. The keyboard interferes with a few mods and also clockport mods too, so increasing the depth a good 0.25" minimum would help (even a little more, say 0.350"). increased depth can be acheived by using both upper casing and lower casing to not affect design so much
Maybe then just increasing the angle slightly, to prevent it becoming too thick at the front. It's difficult to make it larger in any dimension without losing some of the elegance of the original.

I was curious to see the impact of a half height 5.25 standard drive bay... (your average desktop cd drive)

Maybe this is too beaucoup... But I think this would be as large as you would ever want / need it to be... potentially a cut down gotek, a floppy drive and a thin optical drive could all be mounted in such a location, all kinds of standard 3rd party adapters are available to use smaller drives in these bays too... but as illustrated it might have to be raised up further or moved a bit to ensure it doesn't interfere with the motherboard etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200casemod02.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	43862   Click image for larger version

Name:	1200casemod03.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	43863  
Old 03 April 2015, 22:53   #48
IanP

Quote:
for the "Amiga" logo, i think Cloanto own the Amiga name so i think before an actual model is published i would ask their permission to use the Amiga logo. This would prevent the problem the C64 kickstarter had with having to remove a copyrighted name.

an extra thought,

for the Gotek, it would be reasonably easy (i think) to create something inside the case so that an original drive and a Gotek co exist with a little bridgeboard circuit that could toggle DF0 and Df1 which would now be inside the case. This would make it ideal to make real floppies and vice versa
Amiga Inc still own the Amiga name trademark as far as I know (Cloanto own copyrights to software, books, advertising etc).

If and elegant solution to combine the real floppy drive with a mass storage (USB or SD card) ADF chooser as an option can be engineered it would be welcome.

Last edited by IanP; 03 April 2015 at 23:01.
Old 03 April 2015, 22:59   #49
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanP View Post
Amiga Inc still own the Amiga name trademark as far as I know.

If and elegant solution to combine the real floppy drive with a mass storage (USB or SD card) ADF chooser as an option can be engineered it would be welcome.
looks like you arr right..

http://www.amiga.com/sales/index.php?p=brand

it may be worth an email to see what they say about using the name
Old 04 April 2015, 02:01   #50
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
looks like you arr right..

http://www.amiga.com/sales/index.php?p=brand

it may be worth an email to see what they say about using the name
Yikes. I remember the first time I visited that site with reference to blackberry apps and Amiga, I was like "What the hell is this!?!" Seeing how they have nothing to do with Amiga hardware anymore or anything related to Amiga other than the name, maybe they will cut the original customers a break. Worth a try.
Old 04 April 2015, 09:28   #51
IanP

Or they may think that it's a good idea but decide to do it all themselves to make some money and end up screwing it all up.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:03   #52
mjnurney

Chances are that the a1200 cases are or were all in the Far East. Unlike the c64.(usa,Europe,Japan etc) Commodore like most companies used Asian labor and commodore went bust and was in debt when the 4000,12000,cd32 were in production. Escom may well of had the moulds but these also went bankrupt and if they left the production suppliers in debt then they will of been sold at auction or scrapped. Wasn't the cd32 produced in Singapore at some point?

Injection mould are large complex and heavy and of course very expensive to make and to maintain. I know I used to repair them.

It's possible a set survived but unlikely and to request modding them is completely unrealistic unless you have £50-£100k for a new moulding set to be cast and machined ?

Imagine a large jello case in two halves ? That's what they look like but in steel with injection heads , heating elements and water cooling. Pression made tooling.

Rust kills them too.im amazed that the c64 moulds have been found but then they made millions of them , so lots of moulds would of been made unlike the 1200.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:49   #53
IanP

Whilst both my A1200's are Commodore ones with Made in The Philippines Stickers on the bottom, this Amiga Technologies A1200 has a Made in France sticker. These stickers may have nothing to do with the origin of the cases used though.
Old 04 April 2015, 15:04   #54
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post

Imagine a large jello case in two halves ? That's what they look like but in steel with injection heads , heating elements and water cooling. Pression made tooling.
A very large jello case too. Even more complicated, I think with the way the Amiga cases are designed, they would have been 3 part moulds, at least for the lower half, I'm not sure how else the connector ports would be accomplished?
Old 04 April 2015, 17:18   #55
eXeler0

Unless someone has really good connections in the right places, I'm not sure how realistic this "injection moulds" path is for limited runs like this.. Especially as we're talking about multiple variations and different colors...
Realistically, if we design and open source a 3d (CAD) model people could use whatever 3d printing service to produce it.
Possibly something like this
http://aha-3d.in/protocenter-1m/
Old 04 April 2015, 17:30   #56
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Unless someone has really good connections in the right places, I'm not sure how realistic this "injection moulds" path is for limited runs like this.. Especially as we're talking about multiple variations and different colors...
Realistically, if we design and open source a 3d (CAD) model people could use whatever 3d printing service to produce it.
Possibly something like this
http://aha-3d.in/protocenter-1m/

wow... 56,000 USD
Old 04 April 2015, 17:36   #57
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

or £37,879. Sounds like a deal. Maybe we should get 2.
Old 04 April 2015, 17:53   #58
Steve T

It will be possible, in the future, to print out cases, and have them reasonably affordable - not 'cheap' as we might be used to, but with the look and feel of injection molded parts.

Check out this live demo of a very cool new method which could provide just that... and you wouldn't need a huge print bed either, since the parts are drawn upwards out of it. Amiga case is a large mass, and would take hours to print layer by layer, something like this would do it in minutes instead.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 April 2015, 18:07   #59
eXeler0

Arnie, its not like I said you'd buy the 3d printer.. rather use a service from some biz that owns that kind of printer.
The point is, whichever way the cases are produced in the end, there's a bunch of hard work that needs to be done first.
So maybe that's where we could start anyway. Because even if printing of such cases is problematical today, Im pretty sure that in a year or two it will be completely doable at a reasonable price...
Old 05 April 2015, 16:44   #60
Akira

I would definitely get a case that is exactly as the ones we have, perhaps i ne wcolors, just like the C64 ones.

What you could do in the design is try to fix problems of the original cases, like the ever-breaking latches on A600 and A1200 cases. If someone can devise a better method of locking the case together it would be great. Just for that upgrade buying a new case would be worth it!